topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Selector 3.4.3.0  (Read 52976 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 1.7
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 01:41 PM »
Selector 1.7 Selector itself hasn't changed, but the download now includes a utility called LoadImageURL.  It's meant to be used with Selector and the browser "Copy Image Location" command.  It will download the image to a temp file, then feed it to your favorite image editor, as alternative to copying the image to the clipboard and using Paste in the image editor. On first usage it prompts you to navigate to the image editor, and stores your choice in an .ini file.

See the Readme for usage.

Xvarnah

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 1.7
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 01:53 PM »
Nice Miles ! Thanks ! I get the new version right now !  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 1.8
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 05:11 PM »
Selector 1.8 I made a few updates on 1.8.  As you can see in the new screen shot, I added an ImageURL Button to do the same thing as the included LoadImageURL program but by using the Windows file type association.

Also the Go and Go "" Buttons have been updated so that if no item in the ListBox is selected, it still tries to open Param via Windows file type association.  Delete Button tests that an item is actually selected before trying to delete.

Also Hint balloons have been added for the Buttons.

edit: once I added support to Selector for opening the graphics image for an image url I could have removed LoadImageURL from the download but I thought it might be a good way to open a non-default image editor esp. since many image editors have a "paste" command line param, but not one to load from an image url off the web. The total download is still under a MB.  I don't think that's too bulky even for dial-up.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 05:15 PM by MilesAhead »

Xvarnah

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009, 09:42 AM »
« Getting better all the time ! » as the good old Beattles' song use to say ! :)

I downloaded and installed it. Thanks, Miles.

Right after, I stumbled across these two links :

- http://lifehacker.co...to-open-new-links-in

- http://browserchooser.codeplex.com/

An interseting feature in "Browser chosser" is the one that allows it to be defined as a "pseudo" default browser. Each time you click on a link (whatever this link is), on a "favorite", the little wondow with the browsers pops-up allowing you to choose which one you wanna use. So the favorite and link a re no longer related to one browser only; this is quiet "handy".

Yet, it lacks the precision of Selector as long as it does not allow to move to a specific link selected in another browser : it only opens a new browser displaying its own starting page.

So, according to my purpose, I either use Selector or the Browser chooser, now.

What do you think about it ?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2009, 11:23 AM »
I haven't tried that one yet.  I use Launchy but I'm running Minefield Firefox beta, and not everything works with it. I was using the FARR hotkey thing to open in Opera but Selector allows me to do similar stuff without remembering a hotkey for each browser. Just with selected or clipboard text.  It's useful for a few things.. not everything.

Xvarnah

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2009, 01:07 PM »
I'll give a closer look at Launchy, then. I've downloaded it with some nice skins and will install in a minute. Thanks for making me discover this one, Miles.  :-*

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 1.9
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 02:48 PM »
Selector 1.9 Fixed Image URL filename extension handling to accommodate extensions other than 3 characters in length(e.g.  .jpeg should work as well as .jpg now)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 1.9 - stupid pet tricks
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 05:24 PM »
Here's a "stupid pet trick" you might enjoy with Selector.  I'm using Vista here so XP start menu may be slightly different, but anyways...

1) Go into Start Menu => All Programs => Accessories and drag Command Prompt onto the desktop and select Create Shortcuts Here to have a command prompt icon on the desktop.

2) Right click the icon, select Properties then Shortcut Tab.  In Target leave a space after the cmd.exe at the end and add /k (forward slash k) and click Apply.

3) Hit the Selector Hotkey and drag this desktop shortcut onto the Selector ListBox.

4) Close the Selector popup window.

Now you are all set up for the stupid pet trick.
In notepad, editpadlite, whatever is your favorite plain text editor, type a command line.
For example "dir *.txt" and select the text.  Now hit the Selector Hotkey and double click
on Command Prompt or whatever you used for the command prompt short name.

A command prompt will open with the results of the command.

Why bother?  I dunno' .. that's why I called it a stupid pet trick!  But as a practical use, say you have commands with complicated parameters and switches that you use maybe with NirCmd or for net use shares or whatever.. stuff that's a pain to type.  Instead of making a .cmd batch file for each one, just copy them all into one file of commands you use a lot.  Or you might find a command line on a web page that's cool but complicated... just paste it into your command snippet file.

Go to the snippet in your editor, highlight the snippet, pop up Selector and run it.

Or you can type in commands in your editor and save the file as a log file in case you want to go back and see why something unexpected happened.

Just something I found playing around with Selector.

Also once you have the command prompt in the selector ListBox, you can enter a command line in the Text Param input control and double click Command Prompt to run it.  Kind of a weird popup command prompt indirect action thingy.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 05:27 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 12:54 PM »
Hmmmmmmm, just as an aside, it's amazing how many schemes there are to do aliases. There's an executable that runs on Windows and when you feed it an alias definition, it creates a batch file.  Run the alias from it, it runs the batch file.
http://stahlforce.co...index.php?tool=alias

Of course there's also Linux/Unix style shells that have alias capability.
http://gnuwin32.sour...ge.net/packages.html

But the one I didin't know about was Windows registry.  Apparently there's a App Paths under HKLM windows current version that lets you substitute whatever name for the path of the executable.  I think it's just straight substitution though.  Doesn't give you any glomming or param substitution like the Bash shell type. Probably passes any params just tacked on the end of the command line like "Open With" drag & drop onto a desktop icon.
http://www.pctools.c...registry/detail/111/

(Of course there's also FARR and SlickRun but I think most here are familiar with those programs already.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:45 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2009, 03:27 PM »
« Getting better all the time ! » as the good old Beattles' song use to say ! :)

I downloaded and installed it. Thanks, Miles.

Right after, I stumbled across these two links :

- http://lifehacker.co...to-open-new-links-in

- http://browserchooser.codeplex.com/

An interseting feature in "Browser chosser" is the one that allows it to be defined as a "pseudo" default browser. Each time you click on a link (whatever this link is), on a "favorite", the little wondow with the browsers pops-up allowing you to choose which one you wanna use. So the favorite and link a re no longer related to one browser only; this is quiet "handy".

Yet, it lacks the precision of Selector as long as it does not allow to move to a specific link selected in another browser : it only opens a new browser displaying its own starting page.

So, according to my purpose, I either use Selector or the Browser chooser, now.

What do you think about it ?

Just for grins I tried out Browser Chooser.  I didn't quite get it until I messed around with it.  Looks like it's made to intercept browser launch from another application(like if EditPad launches the default browser because you double click a url) but it does nothing from inside a browser.  Anyway, thought I'd let you know I tried it.  Did you make any progress having the mouse trigger Selector or are you using Launchy or another utility?  I'm just curious since I'm always on the look-out for free utilities.

Xvarnah

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2009, 06:22 PM »
Hello Miles,

Just a few words to let you know that our exchanges here led me to completely rethink my Desktop organization and tools.

DonnationCoder allowed me to download at discount price Directory Opus with which I can use Direct Folders and TeraCopy.

I also use XStart, Selector 1.9 and Browser Chooser (if you set it as your "default browser", it manages all the shortcuts of your links and lets you chose with which browser you want to open one of them) as well as ReOpen and FARR. I'm toying with AutoHotKey to make the best possible use of my mouse's buttons and Winlaunch to create some handy shortcuts. I haven't given yet a close look to Launchy which I downloaded too. But I will in the coming days.

For my captures on the web I use both Surfulater, FireShot extension for FireFox and Printee with IE and in order to better synchronize my bookmarks between my browsers I am now testing both Xmarks and Tidy Favorites.

For my RSS Feeds, I use RSSOwl, and PersonalBrain as a general information, documents, emails and links "organizer".

Now you know nearly everything about my nightly entertainments ! :)

When I will have found the right balance with these apps, I'll gladly share with you the result of the changes I made.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 09:09 PM by Xvarnah »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2009, 08:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I didn't think of just having a shortcut with the url.  Maybe I'll reinstall BrowserChooser since I can always just set something else as default browser to temporarily disable it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 1.95
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2009, 09:51 PM »
Selector 1.95 Fixed a small bug where the popup window did not close after pressing the Image URL Button.  The latest can be had from my page immediately(see link in first post.)  Softpedia should update in a day or so.

Xvarnah

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 1.95
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2009, 11:22 PM »

Downloaded and installed. Thanks Miles.  :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 1.96
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 10:52 PM »
Selector v. 1.96

Added "Visit Hotkey Page" command to Tray Menu.

Also changed Tray Menu to only open with Right Click.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 1.97
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 08:04 PM »
Selector v. 1.97

Fixed a bug introduced in the previous update.  Running a 2nd instance of the program would cause it to zero out the data file(s) as it exited.

Please update to the latest from my hotkeys page.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 1.9.7.1
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2010, 10:11 PM »
Please use Selector File version 1.99 or newer to avoid the regression mentioned above.

http://www.favessoft...ges.html#FolderCache

edit: found the bug finally I think.  v. 1.99 should work as expected
without the program list being mysteriously zeroed out.

See Readme file note about totally deleting the program list by
just deleting the file.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:05 AM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 2.0
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2010, 01:07 AM »
Selector v. 2.0.0.1

Die bug die!!!!  :)

Ahm, hopefully this thing is back to normal and works as stated
in the previous post.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 2.1
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2010, 01:00 PM »
Selector 2.1

Added F1 Help while Selector Window is open.
Added Choose Help Reader command to tray menu.

Various TreePad programs may be used to read the SelectorHelp.hjt file
when F1 is pressed during Selector window display. Using the Menu
command Choose Help Reader allows use of TreePad without the
necessity to install.  The Readme has a link to the TreePad download
page. If you have a version 3 or higher of TreePad installed then the
help file will open automatically via Windows file type association.

The location of the Help Reader is stored to .ini file.
The location may be changed using the menu command alluded
to above or you may edit the .ini manually if you prefer.  To
change to file type association just set the .ini entry to equal
blank as in:  "HelpReader="

The latest version is available for download from my hotkeys page.
Softpedia will likely update early next week.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 01:05 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 2.2
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2010, 02:11 PM »
Selector 2.2

Fixed bug: change hotkey commands didn't clear the old hotkeys during reset.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 2.3.0.0
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2010, 08:52 PM »
Selector 2.3.0.0 Added Check for Updates command to Tray Menu. (I would appreciate it if anyone using dial-up internet would try it out as I only have broadband.)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 2.4.0.0
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2010, 03:34 PM »
Selector 2.4.0.0  Added more Glass to Popup Window.

See first post for new screen shot.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 03:40 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 2.6.0.0
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2010, 03:12 PM »
Selector 2.6.0.0 Added an .ini file option, UseTransOn7. This is a Windows Seven only option. If set to 0 the Popup Window will act is in previous versions.  If set to 1, and you are running Windows Seven with Glass enabled, you should get a translucent window like the screen shot below:

They don't make it easy to draw on glass so the text is a bit smudgy.  But if you like translucent windows you may prefer it to the standard popup window.  I stole the technique from Yashied on AutoIt3 forum, using his WinAPIEx include script. :)

edit: I kludged it to make the text easier to read on translucent window. :)

Selector will not try to use the translucent window unless it detects Windows Seven and the option is enabled in the .ini file.

edit2: Now you can set the Transparency option in the Tray Menu instead of editing the .ini file. The option is W7 only.  The setting in the menu will be disabled if you're not running Seven with Glass enabled.

SelectorTrans.jpg
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:51 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 2.6.2.0
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2010, 10:00 PM »
Selector 2.6.2.0  Minor adjustments to Popup Window.

http://www.favessoft...om/SelectorTrans.jpg

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Selector 2.8.0.0
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2011, 10:45 PM »
Selector 2.8.0.0 Revised Tray Icon handling. Also in 2.7.0.0 a regression was fixed that could cause change of hotkey to fail silently in some cases.