topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Alternative to Napster - Virgin Digital (UK/US Only)  (Read 8367 times)

Redhat

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Alternative to Napster - Virgin Digital (UK/US Only)
« on: December 29, 2005, 09:26 AM »
I have been on a quest. A quest to find a good (legal) music service with the following criteria:

• Software needs to respond when I click buttons. It needs to be well designed and not take more than it's fair share of RAM.
  • There needs to be lots of popular music, aswell as lesser-known artists.
  • I can't afford 79p a track ($1.50, I might add) which is what most/all "buying" services charge. So there needs to be some kind of subscription service.
  • The price cannot be more than £14.99 per month.

So I took a look around. I've tried emusic (http://www.emusic.com) and here are my thoughts on that:

Overall, a nice setup. Web-based, but the selection of music was just too scarce for me to consider it properly. I got a few little-known UK artists from it, but they were about all I could recognise in terms of artists. I used the free, two-week trial where you get 50 free downloads. BIG ADVANTAGE: NO DRM!

I have used napster in the past, and here are my thoughts on that service:

Selection of music is great. The software and customer support - isn't. The software is so resource-hungry on my system it became unbearable. It was even bad on my 2GIG RAM, AMD64 system. Ouch.

In terms of customer service, it was dreadful. I have had to ring them twice as they charged my card twice, two months in a row. They never apologised. They never sought to rectify the situation. They simply said "call your bank".

But I have found a new service, from Virgin! (Richard Branson & Co)

The software is smooth, fast and efficient. The amount of tracks available (1.4 mil I think) is astounding. They have a subscription service, and it's in the price range (£9.99). There is radio. There is playlists. There is music insurance, so if your system fails, you don't lose any of your music when you reinstall VD (Ooops, just realised what that says!).

It current is only available to UK and US residents. For more information, check out http://www.virgindigital.com .

A screeny:

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
Re: Alternative to Napster - Virgin Digital (UK/US Only)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 05:37 PM »
Check out:
http://www.veign.com...good-to-be-true.html

Alot to talk on the legality but seems the RIAA has yet to be able to touch it....

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 09:01 PM »
Hey Veign,do you use this yourself,here any horror stories? I've heard of them before.And have always itched
at the notion to try but never scratched.I use emusic and i like it but it does lack when it comes to major labels.

P.S.
I've been reading articles on digg and else where  the RIAA is trying to get the Russians to comply,lol.Gotta
love the rebellion.The Afterdawn forums are going through some changes in the new year cause of new laws passed
in Finland. 

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 09:05 PM »
I have been trying it - no horror stories so far (at least there haven't been any bruisers with baseball bats beating on my door yet)!

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 09:20 PM »
I will be checking it out in the next couple of weeks. 

(I see the site is 'down for maintenance' right now - will see if it comes back up)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 05:23 AM »
It's up and running now

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 06:32 AM »
I've used Allofmp3 for a while, without incident.  I do feel a little uncomfortable with it, since they're quite plain about being based on a loophole in the Russian copyright law...  My main online music purchases have been through emusic, where I've been a member most of a year now.  They are pretty good, and through them I discovered a lot of really interesting things that were new to me...  But at the moment I'm finding it hard to find my 20 tracks per month (they only advertise a $9.99 40 tracks per month deal, but if you do that for a while and then try to leave, they offer you a cheaper, fewer tracks option).