topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Does a application like this exist? (start random videos, but only unique)  (Read 3719 times)

Cotton

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I got plenty of Simpsons-episodes, and I'm looking for a small application that can index all my folders with the simpsons episodes. And when I click on this small application, a random episode will play in my default videoplayer.

The application does then remember what episode it started so it wont choose that one again until it have gone through all the episodes it have in the index.

Does anyone know of such a application?  :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:48 PM by Cotton »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Does a application like this excist?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 05:53 PM »
WinAmp can do it with MP4 files. Assuming your collection consists of avi/wmv/rm/mp4, etc. files, why not?

Cotton

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So it will remember what files it have played and not play them until every video have been played? :)

Will have a look at it. Thanks

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You might check out J. River Media Center too. I bet you could create a "Smart List" (which is an automatically generated playlist) that only has videos which either haven't been played or which haven't been played since today's date.

I don't use Media Center for videos yet (for some reason) but I'm pretty sure it's possible to make it use your default media player to actually play the video. I imagine the smartlist would look a little something like this...
Screenshot - 7_1_2009 , 7_35_56 PM.pngDoes a application like this exist? (start random videos, but only unique)
(Like I said, I don't use MC for video yet, but I imagine you would select "The Simpsons" in the "Series" drop list.)

Media Center doesn't really qualify as a "small application" though.

Another option is to create a playlist in your favorite player, shuffle it, then play the playlist from beginning to end. The KMPlayer will remember your last played file and you can save your playlist as an album. I'm not sure if it'll remember the last played file of each album though, so you might end up going through the list looking for the first one you haven't seen*.
Screenshot - 7_1_2009 , 7_38_49 PM.pngDoes a application like this exist? (start random videos, but only unique)

* Every now and then you can delete all the entries in the playlist that you've watched to make it easier to find the first one you haven't seen if the need arises.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 08:46 PM by Hirudin »