topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Addressbook software (simple, yet powerful)  (Read 19218 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Addressbook software (simple, yet powerful)
« on: December 23, 2005, 04:25 AM »
Hi, I want to address the need for a good addressbook software.  Let me start off by saying that my idea is more of a coding "meal" than a "snack", but I couldn't find a better place to post.  I think that my suggestion will be more on the scale of something like Screeshot Captor.

For years, I have looked for a simple, yet powerful addressbook software for those of us that use the computer a lot.  Before I get into the features that I am looking for, let me describe what is out there already, and why there isn't something like I'm talking about.  I'm Not talking about the addressbooks that come integrated as part of a larger suite of software such as PIM's, email programs, etc.  I'm talking about a standalone software just for addresses and personal info and that's it, nothing more.  So here are the features I'm looking for:

--Be able to insert email addresses (or other info...telephone #, street address, etc.) wherever the cursor is in whatever program.  This is similar to one of those clipboard managers that can insert text to wherever the cursor, except in this case, it only applies to addresses.  But the program should be called up and used in a similar manner

--The address details for each entry should be fully customizable as far as what fields go in.  (first name, last name, street address, etc., as well as the ability for custom fields of course).

--Should be allowed to attach pictures to entries.

--There should be a live search-as-you-type filter to quickly select the address you want.  And you should be able to search ALL fields, not just the name or something.  This is almost identical to the program PowerMarks, which is a bookmark manager that does exactly what I'm saying here.  In fact, it's so similar that I asked the author of that program to consider making this software, but I don't think he was interested.

--The program should be very lightweight, fast, and SIMPLE!  I can't stress that enough.  Nothing bulky.

--There should be a fairly complex way to share fields of information between different entries.  For example, let's say you have an entry for a husband and a wife.  They have different first names, but same last names, same address, different email addresses, different cell phone numbers.  So there should be some way to link the common information together and keep the other information separate.  And by "link" I really mean link, not just copy the same field.

I guess there are some other little features I have in mind, but that is the basic idea.  I just want to see if anyone would be interested in this.  Like I said, I have searched for years for something like this but I have found nothing.  I am not a programmer or else I would love to take this on.  I really think this can benefit a lot of people.  I want to bring up the program PowerMarks again because I envision this software to be almost exactly like this program except it would be used for addresses instead of bookmarks.  I look forward to hearing from anyone.

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Addressbook software (simple, yet powerful)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 05:16 AM »
Hi superboyac

do you know about essentialPIM
This includes an calendar, an ToDo and an notice section too.
There is a freeware version and a low cost pro version.
Also there are stand alone versions without install for to carry on an USB stick.

Maybe this comes near your suggestions ?
You can also post missing features into there superb forum.
http://www.essential....com/forum/index.php

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 03:06 PM »
Have a look at my mini-review of Abook over in the 'mini reviews by members' section - I think that can do everything you want...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 03:42 AM »
Hi superboyac

do you know about essentialPIM
This includes an calendar, an ToDo and an notice section too.
There is a freeware version and a low cost pro version.
Also there are stand alone versions without install for to carry on an USB stick.

Maybe this comes near your suggestions ?
You can also post missing features into there superb forum.
http://www.essential....com/forum/index.php

Yes, I know about Essential PIM, and I even have a license for it.  The addressbook portion of the software is good, it has the search-as-you-type feature that I love.  But it's a bulky program, and it does so much more than an addressbook.  It's too much.  One of the important features about what I am suggesting is how it functions simlar to a clipboard manager, where with a few quick keystrokes, you can call up the program, find an address, and insert it at the cursor.  Essential PIM is simply way overkill for what I am looking for.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 03:53 AM »
Have a look at my mini-review of Abook over in the 'mini reviews by members' section - I think that can do everything you want...

Yes, I've tried A-book.  This program and Handy Addressbook are the two programs that come closest to what I am looking for, but even they are not even close to what I am suggesting.

What I don't like about A-book is that it is bulkier than it needs to be, at least for what I am saying.  Also, it doesn't have a quicksearch feature that can immediately filter the list down as you type.  I think you can start typing and it will jump to the name of the nearest match, but it doesn't filter all the fields.  This is very important.

A-book is good in that you can add pictures to the entries.  However, it lacks that other feature I was mentioning, which is a sophisticated to link fields together with people that share addresses or phone numbers but have other different data. 

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 04:00 AM »
I would be very excited if a programmer would take up this project.  I really wish I was able to do it myself.  I think it is something that is lacking out there, and it would be really useful.  I have searched a lot for anything that can come close to what I am asking, but there is nothing at all.  Thanks!

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 11:51 AM »
I've been looking for an address book program with similar criteria to yours. I believe I found it today, and it's not a windows program but rather a PHP application. I've got some space on a webhost so I was able to install it.

It has a pretty crude relationship system (You have to enter the database ID# for the spouse/children, but it shows the ID on each screen so this isn't so bad. Also, you can duplicate a record with a new name so you only have to type information once. Once done, though, nothing keeps the duplicate records in sync.)
It has search-as-you-type via AJAX.
It is in PHP so it'd be potentially reasonable to customize it.
It has pictures.

It's got a multi-user feature that I don't need, and it requires captcha for all logins, which is annoying. And, of course, it requires some sort of webserver. This may be an advantage, since it's accessible to me from anywhere with the internet.

The orignal program is at http://sourceforge.n...cts/php-addressbook/
And the fork that has most of the features you want is at http://www.jonathanp...qSGpiYRpTCRrPCpjtkus
There is a demo of the latter at http://www.jonathanp...om/address/index.php - login with admin/admin.

The original program doesn't require any login but it doesn't have relationships or pictures, and the print options are fewer.

shmuel1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 11:36 AM »
I would also like something like that. I use the Thunderbird address book for my contacts. I think it has everything you want, but it's annoying to have to open Thunderbird to access it, especially on a netbook. It would be nice if Thunderbird would separate the address book from the rest of the program.