topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IE8 --> Windows explorer startup glitch - maybe Avira WebGuard involved  (Read 2737 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

OOPS - I modified and lost the OP, rather than adding this post !  (Anyway the problem was a lockup where the start button and opening programs lock up, even on a very light startup soon after an XP reinstall, and the "solution" was to crash explorer.exe with the Task Manager.  Likely this is IE8, very possibly clashing with Avira.)

=========================

After some stuff, the problem morphed to :

"When you start Internet Explorer 8, it opens and then closes immediately"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967896

And I am very reluctant to uninstall 8, concerned that it may not play nice with SP3.  (The famous Gates integration of browser and OS). I did try a reinstall over, did nothing.

Well this is a defacto solution for getting rid of IE, so I will wait a while and see if there really is a need for IE, using the Firefox and Opera "we are IE" elements if necessary (hmm.. Windows Update comes to mind).

If necessary, plan B is to either wait for IE9 or to uninstall .. in which case I would probably simply go back to 6, or possibly 7, rather than continually have these IE8 problems.  

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:50 AM by Steven Avery »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IE8 really did not impress me. I'd interpret this as a sign to start checking out the third-party browsers. Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and Safari are doing some wonderful things these days.