topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FARR won't launch programs anymore  (Read 11050 times)

rkr3

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FARR won't launch programs anymore
« on: June 11, 2009, 01:15 AM »
As of today morning, I find FARR isn't launching anything. The FARR window opens, lets me enter my search, gives a results output, but when I click on one of the results, NOTHING happens!

I completely un-installed FARR (using Revo Uninstaller), downloaded a fresh copy from the DC website, and re-installed; no change.

I thought maybe Comodo HIPs is creating a problem, so I exited Comodo and tried again; no change. Ditto with A-squared.

Have also tried at starting it first thing on startup (i.e., before any of the other system tray programs load); no change.

I really need to get it working (have been reduced to  using Launchy, which isn't as good).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR won't launch programs anymore
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 01:19 AM »
try changing the launch method:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=13779.0

rkr3

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 03:15 AM »
Ok, tried changing the launch method. Results:

With new launch method --

If the "Always launch shortcuts directly instead of resolving links" box is ticked, then I get the following error for BOTH programs AND document files:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

If I untick the "Always launch..." box, then Programs open, but if I try to open documents, I get the same error as above.

So -- I'm now able to launch programs (after unticking "Always launch..." box), but I still cannot open documents (Word 2007 and PDF are what I've tried so far). Ticking/Unticking "Use document launcher helper utility" has no effect whatsoever on the above results, as far as I can tell.

I actually use FARR more often for launching documents rather than programs, so I'm basically still out of business...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 03:55 AM »
something must be blocking farr from launching those files -- some kind of security thing on your system?

rkr3

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 04:10 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.

It would seem what you say is true, but:

1. FARR's been working okay for the last several years on this system (As I recall, I was able to open all files normally as late as I believe yesterday)

2. I haven't added any new security programs recently (I use NOD32, A-squared and Comodo Firewall+HIPs). (I've also tried FARR after disabling all three of the above, but no change)

3. As  I mentioned in my original post -- I've tried running FARR at startup, before anything else loads -- but get the same results.

rkr3

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 04:14 AM »
BTW, I just checked; I'm able to open folders from FARR; it's just docuemnts which are creating problems (pdf, doc, xls, ppt, mp3 -- these are what i've checked so far, and they all refuse to open with the same error msg).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 04:20 AM »
you might try running FARR as an administrator, and see if that helps.

rkr3

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 04:31 AM »
sorry -- should've mentioned this before; I'm running XP Pro, and I've always been the Admin of my account. My understanding is that all programs will be installed and will run with full rights (as opposed to operating under reduced rights as in Vista).

Is there something i'm missing?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 04:35 AM »
what antivirus are you running? have you looked for settings in there or tried to disable it temporarily? any other security tools you can disable?

rkr3

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 04:42 AM »
Yes....like I mentioned earlier, I haven't added any new security programs recently (I use NOD32, A-squared and Comodo Firewall+HIPs). (I've also tried FARR after disabling all three of the above, but no change)

rkr3

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 09:04 AM »
Okay...I've resolved the problem.

It seems that  Comodo HIPS had taken a sudden dislike to FARR. I had to uninstall and reinstall Comodo completely.

One wonders why (a) this would happen overnight, and (b) more importantly, why would exiting out of Comodo (as opposed to a complete uninstall) not clear the problem.

My major peeve -- Just wasted a whole day trying to get things back to normal :'( Hate it when something like this happens.

Anyways, thanks for the trouble.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 09:08 AM »
(b) more importantly, why would exiting out of Comodo (as opposed to a complete uninstall) not clear the problem.

this makes me very mad -- the same thing happens with my eset firewall -- you can DISABLE it, but it still does things behind the scenes that can break network traffic.  so that even if you THINK you have ruled it out as a culprit in some problem, you can't really be sure.  not cool.

thanks for posting the solution -- i wouldn't be surprised if others don't find this thread useful in the future.  in fact i may add a help page about it to farr help manual.