topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: MP3 Info Extension?  (Read 5896 times)

Mirage84

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MP3 Info Extension?
« on: June 10, 2009, 10:57 PM »
Hello.

I used to use a program called Mp3 Info Extension. I could install the program, then when I viewed a folder of MP#'s....I could see the bitrate in an icon on the left side.

Now that I have Vista 64, it no longer works for me.

Does anyone else know of a software that does the same type thing...the author of this one doe snot support it anymore.

Thanks alot.
Mir

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MP3 Info Extension?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 04:05 AM »
I used to use that, it was one of my "must installs". Now I've been using dedicated tagging programs for so long I don't really remember all the things it did.

Lets see, I know it had a feature that you could mouse over an MP3 (or maybe many MP3s?) and it would display the tag information (artist, album, title, length, etc.). I'm pretty sure Vista does this by itself.

You could also highlight a bunch of songs, right click on them, and edit their tags.

What feature(s) do you use most? Maybe we can come up with some software that can do something similar.

widgewunner

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 09:02 AM »
Windows Explorer already has it built in. Just go to details view, right click one of the column headers and turn on the "bitrate" option. When you select the "More..." option, you can see that Explorer can display 38 diferent file parameters (not just Name, Type, Size and Date which are default). e.g. In addition to bitrate, you can display track number, year, artist, album title, genre, duration etc.

This is true for 32-bit XP Pro SP2 - not sure if this applies to Vista-64...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 09:12 AM by widgewunner »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:20 AM »
I remember this cool program. It's a shame it's abandonware. The neatest thing I thought it did, and no version of Explorer does this, was change the MP3's icon to show the bit-rate so you could have a window full of MP3s open and could tell at a glance which ones were the low bit-rate ones that needed replacing with better versions.

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 10:12 AM »
you could have a window full of MP3s open and could tell at a glance which ones were the low bit-rate ones that needed replacing with better versions.

Explorer may not change the icon, but you could sort (in Details view) by bitrate.  You could tell at a glance which were high and which were low.  If you "Show in Groups" it will be even more obvious.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:14 AM by AndyM »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 12:02 PM »
Andy, I understand what you're saying and that you're trying to be helpful, but all I'm hearing is "blah blah blah...quit being lazy!"  ;D

No, seriously, that's a good idea & once I set that up in Total Commander I'll be sorted. I'll just miss the icons, though. There was one alternate theme (definitely NOT the default) that had absolutely gorgeous icons for all the different bit-rates.

Hopefully, one day someone will adapt that differing icon ability to Vista/Win7.

Mirage84

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 12:14 AM »
Yes, Vista does have the option to list the bitrate in the folder, but I find that for some reason its doesn't post the correct bitrate all the time.

A file may show in Vista as 320 kbbs...   but when I look at in  Tag and Rename it shows something like VBR 249 or something.

Curt

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 08:58 AM »
Mirage84, sounds like Vista has trouble with some variable bit-rate files. Hopefully, that's fixed in Win7.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 02:44 AM »
It's only some VBR files right? Is there any pattern to which files work and which don't?

Here's a screenshot of Windows 7 displaying some files I ripped using LAME 3.97 (or maybe 3.98, IIRC) using "preset extreme"...
Screenshot - 6_13_2009 , 1_38_09 AM.pngMP3 Info Extension?

Mirage84

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 03:39 AM »
Actually, I think it is all the VBR files.....  CBR check out fine.

mir