topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Which Eclipse?  (Read 4834 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Which Eclipse?
« on: June 07, 2009, 04:12 PM »
My Pydev extensions annual subscription is up for renewal this month. I decided to check out Wing IDE and NetBeans to see what I was missing. I haven't looked at NetBeans yet, but I just did spend some time with Wing IDE. I went though the tutorial. Although I liked what I see, I don't see any reason to switch to it from Eclipse + Pydev. I hopefully have time to check out NetBeans soon.

However, it did make me remember that there are now these pre-packaged and tested versions of Eclipse; like MyEclpse and Yoxos. From my limited understanding these are "value-added" versions of Eclipse. Have any of you folks toyed with them? Did any of you decide to use a subscription version of Eclipse over the free version?

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Which Eclipse?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 09:08 PM »
I use eclipse+pydev(and c extensions, just started learning c)  and I like it. I am also testing Pydev extensions. One reason I use Eclipse is that I can embed Vim in it. It also has couple vim wrappers. (Although Netbeans has couple vim wrappers too)

I did check out Netbeans, it is actually very nice however there is a weird bug that stopped me moving to it. It highlights the words that is next to the  caret(in Python projects). I can see the merits of this behaviour but I do not like it because I use darker themes and the selection just sticks out. I think this behaviour is hardcoded in the python plugin because in C plugin you can disable it. Notepad++ has highlighting occurences as well but it would highlight only when the user selects the whole word manually. This thing selects the word and highlights automatically.

The other thing I did not like about NetB is the way it is handling C projects. it lets you compile a single file but it wont let you run within the IDE which is weird. It is either not implemented or not working properly. Since I am a C beginner, maybe someone can explain how I should work with in NB.

I tried Komodo IDE and Edit, they are both very nice(one is free), definetely IDE version is very well integrated and has advance functions. I just cannot justify the price for my little projects. Komodo Edit does not have proper Python shell which is a big  minus.

One other alternative is Pyscripter. That one is great and nice but it does not let you have more than one project at a time. On the other hand Eclipse+Pydev offers many projects options.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:21 AM »
@tinjaw, test one of the hudson builds of netbeans 7.0. Lots of goodies for python.
The REPL sucks, sure, but you can use an external one and ahk to send clipboard to it.

Netbeans has test coverage for python built-in (7.0). The debugger is pretty good.

IntelliJ has a python plugin, that is very primitive and beta but will be upgraded anytime soon. They also claim it'll support graphical test coverage.

I'm using Jedit for python nowadays.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 12:17 PM »
@tinjaw, test one of the hudson builds of netbeans 7.0. Lots of goodies for python.
The REPL sucks, sure, but you can use an external one and ahk to send clipboard to it.

Netbeans has test coverage for python built-in (7.0). The debugger is pretty good.

Where can I download NB 7.0 builds?

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 05:22 PM »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 06:59 PM »
@kartal:
http://deadlock.netb...g/hudson/job/python/

@tinjaw:
New IDEA plugin released:
http://www.jetbrains...or+IntelliJ+IDEA+8.0

No python plugin is listed though(only Jython) ? That was the main problem for me when I wanted to try these builds. Python support does not exists except 6.5

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 07:00 PM by kartal »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Pydev went open source and it is free to download. Thanks to the developer, he has been developing it actively