topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Sorry, I don't approve  (Read 14132 times)

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sorry, I don't approve
« on: December 20, 2005, 07:40 PM »
If there were no malicious or uninformed people this would be great. Unfortunately there are, and programs like this are dangerous in the wrong hands. I'm sure no paying member of DonationCoder would misuse this, but others will.

This blurs the line between harmless and harmful. A non-computer-savvy person might receive a Dr. Windows message, only to be told it's a joke. The next message might be malicious and the user might take the wrong action.

I know, I know, it's only silly fun. But perhaps DonationCoders don't think about the majority of computer users. I teach computing skills to a group of senior citizens, and they would be terrified by even the penguin joke. If little Joey decided to pull a prank on Gramps, who knows?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sorry, I don't approve
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 11:04 PM »
yeah, i hear ya..
this was a one time little joke app, it's not the kind of thing we'll be doing much of in the future.

the only real defense i have is that if this is the worst program someone uses to pull a prank on you, you probably got off easy.

i do hope though that no one uses this to aggravate others.

only use in close supervision of prank target so as to avoid any confusions!

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 09:04 AM »
Reminds me of a prank I once pulled on a friend ...

I received a chain letter (from another friend) which I thought was hilarious. I doctored it to make it even sillier and funnier.

The thrust of the letter was that a group of animal rights activists had a load of Gibbons to find homes for. They planned to deliver them to the recipent of the letter at midnight in the back of an Ice Cream van playing La Cucurracha. The letter finished off with comment that if all went well there would be a fresh supply of ocelots the following week. (it was  much longer and more elaborate and very silly but you get the idea).

I couldn't honestly believe anyone would take this seriously but my friends family stayed up until midnight waiting for the ice cream van and reported the prank to the police! The police took a photocopy (I can guess why) and told them not to worry.

Just goes to show it is sometimes difficult to guage people's sense of humour.

adiewadie247

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 08:24 AM »
Joking aside. This app has a valid use. I can use it to send messages to myself to get up and take a rest. I spent nearly 16 hours at my computer yesterday working on a programming project, with very few breaks...