topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Buying/installing/experiencing Adobe - PIA  (Read 7349 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Buying/installing/experiencing Adobe - PIA
« on: June 02, 2009, 07:17 AM »
Adobe :(

[edit] I was indecisive whether to put this in Company Complaints section because it's a fairly biased rant (feel free to move if you want) - everything is true that I say here -  but it's mostly medium to minor (?) things that add up to a (s)crappy customer experience. I'm spoiled by only having had experiences with relatively 'small' (or very small) software companies/developers in the last few years. I sort of feel like I've entered the Dilbert-land of the big corporations. [/edit]

I finally invested in Illustrator CS4 - an upgrade from Freehand - I do also have a rarely used copy of Illustrator 8 from about 10 years ago installed.

I'm pissed off in the first place having to change to what seems so far like a much less user friendly programme (in terms of speed of use).
The whole experience has been full of minor headaches, biggest being it's broken my older Photoshop install - well done Adobe, that's your app ;)

Second biggest being dealing with their website - PIA user experience. Real slow too.
They have a really weird website btw - a lot of pages load, are blank, then they reload - this bit doesnt bother me, but it looks like a workaround of something and I keep getting that feel off of Adobe. Try this one for example

Third being trying to customise preferences and Shortcuts - PIA UI - exactly the same as the one in the ten year old version (preferences) :huh: I havent gotten much further than that so far to be honest.

But what really got me today is - after giving up on fixing Photoshop I went to uninistall it and I see that the Illustrator 'install' consists of 36 [yes THIRTY-SIX] different installs - I just let it do the default install because I didnt know what was necessary and what not (and I wasnt told). In fact the whole download/install experience is very dumbed down with very-few-to-no options to customise or even use you own download manager for gods sake - they install one for you  . . I  m u s t  resist  s a r c a s m  here - why? I guess cause I was pissed off with Adobe even before I began this whole thing and now they're fulfilling all my negative expectations - do I have the 'power' to make them this bad lol or are they simply doing their own messy thing . .

I was hoping to do a first-look mini-review of Illustrator but it's turned into this :(  - I also wanted to do a mini-review of Jaws PDF Creator and they completely changed the product the week after I bought it LOL
not my mini-review month :)
Tom
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:18 AM by tomos »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Buying/installing/experiencing Adobe - PIA
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 10:19 AM »
I thought I should clarify the install process - it had a list of 6 or 7 installs - some seemed probably irrelevant (media player, adobe air) but I decided to chance leaving it at default.
MyUninstaller (NirSoft) lists 36 installs :) Some programmes have two installs in different locations (Program files & Common files or different parts of the registry). This might not be a bad thing - maybe it makes it easier to modify aspects of the programme via updates.

Also there was something funny about the download - oh yes, I could only use Internet Explorer :tellme: - these days!!
I dont have noscript running but it wouldnt work in FF and they had very firmly warned beforehand to preferably use IE

Ironically, considering their favouring of IE, the download came in 7z format, that tickled me :)
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 12:23 PM »
One possibly apt anagram of Adobe Illustrator is A Bad Surlier Lotto.
Sounds rather like what you found  ;)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 02:09 PM »
Just remember that Adobe makes their products first and foremost for the Apple community.  This goes far to explain both the interface and the lack of caring for how/where/what/how many programs install.  To make it even easier, they hide it all behind their installer/download manager.  This is all to make it easier for you, especially if you lost your way and moved to the PC from a MAC. (Little tongue in cheek, but not far off). 

Seriously though, they do make these for the Apple community and then make the money off PC users who wish the same or similar tools.  It has always given me a funny feeling trying to navigate/use Adobe products for just this reason.  Not saying one way or the other as to easy to use; just very different.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:19 AM »
Not always true - Lightroom was primarily developed on Windows and then ported to Mac. That really pissed off the Mac users as the beta build program was always a few steps behind.

Having said that most apps are probably designed with Mac in mind but like them or love them Adobe do seem to generate Windows software that is pretty much button for button identical with the Mac versions.

I think often people forget that these are not hobbyist tools - they are designed for professionals to get commercial results and there is a huge learning curve (esp. with Illustrator). I have had Illustrator as part of various packs for many years and have never got to grips with it. I can't really see the point when Xara Xtreme Pro is so much easier and quicker!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 05:53 AM »
Unfortunately they're keeping their standards - it really does not do me good having to interact with adobe.

German site - when I view my product of choice & click "Buy", I keep getting sent to the educational store (very small text at the top of the page, the only way I knew something was up was that it was cheaper than the US price.

Of course that could not be the case (European prices cheaper than US) turns out Acrobat pro is US$449 in the US, but costs a whopping US$797 here - both prices without any taxes.

I'm going to go do something nice to get rid of this negativity. [edit] there: something nice to balance it out: SpiderOak - very nice people =) [/edit]

Sort-of on topic:
Anyone know what is the legality of giving an American address (I can use my sister's) and using the software in Europe ??
Tom
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 06:07 AM by tomos »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:51 AM »
The only problem you might have is if the serial number is geocoded and you might not be able to activate the software from a UK IP. You could always use a US proxy to activate the product.

It breaks the distribution policy for sellers to sell outside the US but it is not illegal to buy a copy in the US and then bring it home with you - which is effectively what youa re doing if you get it sent to your sisters house and she sends it to you!