topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 1:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: to mindmap or not?  (Read 5855 times)

jeromg

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
to mindmap or not?
« on: May 22, 2009, 04:02 PM »
Hi DCers,

I've been wondering for a long time whether or not I should map my thoughts using some kind of mindmap tool. Even though I like the concept, I've never really made the move to mindmap. I think I could really benefit from it, especially as a software project manager in a big corporation.
In terms of tools I think Mindjet's Mindmanager or MatchWare MindView 3 Business Edition are serious contenders, but are both quite expensive. I've tried Freemind as an alternative OpenSource solution, but it didn't really compare in terms of features (e.g. export to Microsoft Office programs like Word, PowerPoint or Project which are the de facto standard at my company).
Anyone having the same doubts or hesitations?
What are your thoughts about mindmapping? Have you used it successfully?
Thanks for your ideas/help!

Cheers  /jerome

David1904

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: to mindmap or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 05:33 PM »
I use Axon Idea Processor all the time.
Mindmapping is just part of what it does, and if you only want to use it for that you might not find the presentation aspect as polished as you would like.
My main use for it is creating notes for speaking - collecting points and subpoints, moving them around on screen until happy with the layout, using a hierarchy of colour Red, Blue, Green, Brown, Black to indicate levels, and usually printing out one A4 sheet landscape from which to speak for 20-25 minutes.
On a regular basis I open a particular Access table, excel spreadsheet and Word template. One click on an icon I created in Axon opens them all.
Weighted decision trees, critical path analysis and some simulation models are other things you can play with.
You can export to html. I'm hoping for better export to MS Office programs in the future ... Because it does so many things it may take a bit of time trying it out to get a feel for its potential, but I reckon it is worth investigating (no association other than a happy user for the last 10 years or so)
The author Chan Bok is very responsive to any problems you may experience.

David

jeromg

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 09:29 AM »
Thanks David, it's a really great find!

I looked at the Axon site and was so intrigued I downloaded the trial version... I really expect a steeeeeeep learning curve, and I could not find some tutorials to get me started. I also have a visual issue as it looks like the Axon screen is getting refreshed sometimes in what appears to be a random fashion (the whole background is flashing quite slowly and the whole window is being redrawn), during this flashing the program doesn't seem to respond to mouse clicks. This is a showstopper for a program that is priced at US$135!
Nevertheless it seems to be extremely powerful, but I don't think I need all the features. Not sure yet if I'm ready to invest enough time in it. I'll be playing with it for the week-end and see how far I can get.
Just to come back to my initial question, I'm still curious to get feedback from DCers using mindmapping...

Cheers  /jerome
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 10:26 AM by jeromg »

David1904

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 08:01 PM »
Hi Jerome,

I forgot about the flashing background - had the same problem ages ago myself. Right click on the background (if you can!) I can't remember what I did to stop it - Esc or Ctrl C or Ctrl Break ...
Anyway right click, choose properties and change the Basic/fill Pattern to anything other than Random. I've never had any use for/interest in the random background so as soon as I removed it I forgot about it and didn't even bother to report it to Chan.

Hope this works for you.

David

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:19 PM »
Just to come back to my initial question, I'm still curious to get feedback from DCers using mindmapping...

I've already asked that question.
It's not hard to find if you search the forum.

Here's one for you both.
How much do you get from these posts?
Map your mind to that, and mind your map.