topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: FARR plugin: FARR Windows Search 0.3.0  (Read 135479 times)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR plugin: FARR Windows Search 0.1.0
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2009, 07:23 PM »
phitsc,

It's my turn to apologize for not responding much faster as i too, was enjoying some holiday time!  :)

Yes, issue is same a initially posted.
One thing i did notice (but don't think it has a major impact), when unzip to the plugins section there is no specific folder installed for your files. They're just loose.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2009, 10:10 AM »
phitsc,

It's my turn to apologize for not responding much faster as i too, was enjoying some holiday time!  :)

Yes, issue is same a initially posted.
One thing i did notice (but don't think it has a major impact), when unzip to the plugins section there is no specific folder installed for your files. They're just loose.
When unzipping make sure you select "Unzip to 'FarrWindowsSearch'" or something like that or even better use the DCUpdater application to install it (if the FarrWindowsSearch plugin is already available). Concerning the propsys.dll problem: I'm afraid I have currently no idea how I could help you with this :(

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2009, 12:32 PM »
Do you mean there's a default folder already there?
Unless it carries a name i'm not familiar with, it's not in my plugins one.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5466/farrsearch.jpg
FARR plugin: FARR Windows Search 0.3.0

By dacomboman at 2009-08-04

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2009, 02:16 PM »
It would be FarrWindowsSearch. No, you're right, it's not there. And I don't see FarrMilk either :(

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2009, 04:16 PM »
Just unzipped it with WinZip into plugins section (again).
You'll notice the "icon" folder at the top which is the only new one that shows up and the last four files that belong to your program.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9823/farrtwo.jpg

By dacomboman

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2009, 04:24 AM »
Here's a view of the files within the downloaded zip file.
Is it possible a file (or more) is missing?
Preview of zip content on right side.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3586/farrii.jpg

By dacomboman

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2009, 08:02 AM »
@phitsc:
"You might be confusing the Microsoft Indexing Service with Windows Search. The FARR Windows Search plugin will let you query the Windows (Desktop) Search index, which I think is different to the Indexing Service. I have Windows Search running and to be honest I don't think it is influencing my machine's performance noticeably. I have the indexing service disabled as well by the way."
Well, it seems that maybe I was not confusing things after all, and that the Indexing Service is involved. This is how I found out:
1. I disabled GDS (Google Desktop Search), which I had been using already to search approx 1,774,000 items - including emails, chats, web history and files (the latter numbering approx 1,649,000).
2. I installed WDS (Windows Desktop Search) with no problems.  :up:
3. I installed the FARR plugin with no problems.  :up:
4. The plugin worked well - it found files and file properties really fast.  :up:
5. However, I wanted to be able to search for specific strings of text in any and all of my documents - including MS Office files, .txt, .pdf and inside .zip files.
6. When I started to configure WDS to do that, I was told that in order to do it, the Indexing Service had to be enabled (I had disabled it ages ago) on my drive. Enabling the Indexing Service was the last thing I had wanted to do  - it was a known resource hog that lowered the PC's performance.  :down:

So, regrettably, the FARR plugin and WDS have been uninstalled and GDS - which had always worked brilliantly for me - has been re-enabled.

I would thus tend to go back to and repeat my earlier comment that this FARR plugin would be great if it could be made to work with GDS - except that, after this experience and having given the matter some more thought since making that comment, I now wonder if the plugin wouldn't just duplicate the normal GDS search box functionality which pops into action readily enough when I type [Ctrl-SPACE].
In other words, what would the plugin be able to add over and above what you can already do with the GDS search functionality? (I have already tried HalfTone and found it duplicative and redundant.)

One benefit of this experience was the discovery that GDS was not to blame - as I had suspected it was - for a recurring problem I have had with my Centrino Duo CPU for some months. The problem was sporadic cascading episodes of CPU high occupancy (48% plus) by some processes (including FARR), one after another in succession, where the only resolution was to kill any process that went CPU-high (enter Process Tamer - :Thmbsup:). One of the processes that would sometimes be thus affected was the Windows Explorer shell! This problem continued to manifest itself even whilst GDS was completely disabled.

Hope this is helpful or of use to someone.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2010, 12:51 PM »
Is it possible to search directly from within a folder?  For example, I have a c:\downloads folder and I would like to search for the quicktime installer that I downloaded.  If I type ws quicktime, i do not get any returns.  If i type ws downloads, it will find this folder and once I open that folder then I can see my quicktime file.  I did have to add c:\downloads to FARRs search folders option.

Just wondering if there was a more direct way.  Thanks for a great app!

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2010, 01:38 PM »
Is it possible to search directly from within a folder?  For example, I have a c:\downloads folder and I would like to search for the quicktime installer that I downloaded.  If I type ws quicktime, i do not get any returns.  If i type ws downloads, it will find this folder and once I open that folder then I can see my quicktime file.  I did have to add c:\downloads to FARRs search folders option.

Just wondering if there was a more direct way.  Thanks for a great app!
Not sure if you're confusing the Windows Search plugin with FARR's built in searching functionality. It sounds like what you want is to type the name of something you've downloaded into the c:\downloads folder in FARR in order to launch it. If that is what you want, then what you did (add c:\downloads to FARR's search folder list) was the absolute right thing to do. What the Windows Search plugin does is offer you a way to query the Windows Search index (Microsoft's pendant to Google Desktop Search). It's main "advantage" (well, it's more a different aspect than an advantage) over FARR's built-in search is that it searches inside files (of supported types) instead of just file names. It finds file names too. But if you wanted to find what you've downloaded with the WS plugin, you'd have to make sure c:\downloads is indexed and you'd have to wait until the indexing service passed over it (while FARR's search is immediate).

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2010, 03:53 PM »
thanks for the reply, phitsc.  Your reply got me thinking that it hadn't yet indexed that download folder.  And that is what the problem was.  I had missed that part of the setup window that tells it where and what folders to index.

I did look for it but didn't find it until today.  The bad part of it is, it's not that hidden.  :-[

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2010, 02:19 PM »
Thanks for a great plugin. I decided to ditch Google Desktop Search for my Outlook indexing, in favor of Windows Search because of the Farr integration.

I do get crashes, once in a while, when I use "Advanced Query Syntax" (or maybe are there other conditions involved).

This plugin + the TinyEverything plugin... And we have the most powerful launcher here. None of other launchers can integrate these as seamlessly. There's executor, but it's not developed actively.

The way I'm integrating all this : Windows search indexes Outlook, everything indexes all my hard drives file names. (Then, for content specific searches, I use Archivarius... But this is not integrated in farr, which is not a problem.) Work flow is perfect.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2010, 02:43 AM »
You're welcome! :)

If you should find anything more specific on the crashes (i.e. a way to reproduce) let me know.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2010, 03:20 PM »
If you should find anything more specific on the crashes (i.e. a way to reproduce) let me know.

Yes, I will.  :up:

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2010, 02:02 PM »
hi phitsc,

I know this isn't a precise indication, but farr seems to track the problem to fscript.dll (in the \FSubScript folder). That's what a dialog says when farr is restarted.

I already updated the fscript.dll (all of them, in all plugins folders) to version 1.9.0.0 (the last one, it seems). Maybe should I downgrade to a previous version.

What version do you use?

Thanks!

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2010, 02:31 AM »
I don't know if this is relevant but, FWIW, I think the latest version of FScript is 1.20 -- at least it looks that way currently:

http://e.craft.free.fr/farr/FScript/

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2010, 12:52 PM »
I don't know if this is relevant but, FWIW, I think the latest version of FScript is 1.20 -- at least it looks that way currently:

http://e.craft.free.fr/farr/FScript/

You are completely right.  :-[

I'll update all FScript to the latest version right away.

Thanks !

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2010, 12:59 PM »
I updated all fscript and it doesn't work.

I get these errors :

1- EAccess Violation
2- "Access violation at address 00437A6C in module 'FindAndRunRobot.exe'. Read of address 00000260."

These usually happen when I use an "advanced" syntax option like :

ws firstname:armando

(But all this is still a bit imprecise... So don't loose time with it. I might come up with more details during the week...)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2010, 11:46 AM »
More details about the errors :

Access violation at address 7712A512 in module  OLEAUT32.dll. Read of address 02A51000

OLEAUT32.dll isn't always mentioned in error messageshttp://search.msn.com/results.asp?q=eaccess violation. But, the EAccess Violation message is almost always mentioned when there's a crash.

Memory management problems in the code ? wrong version for OLEAUT32.dll ? In any case, seems like a memory management problem to me.

bonten1

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2010, 02:11 AM »
hello, is it possible to also display results from network folders? i do have all my network drives indexed in the windows search and they display like a charm, however when i use the plugin in farr, i do get only local results.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2010, 06:38 AM »
hi phitsc,

I know this isn't a precise indication, but farr seems to track the problem to fscript.dll (in the \FSubScript folder). That's what a dialog says when farr is restarted.

I already updated the fscript.dll (all of them, in all plugins folders) to version 1.9.0.0 (the last one, it seems). Maybe should I downgrade to a previous version.

What version do you use?

Thanks!
FarrWindowsSearch does not use the fscript.dll

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2010, 06:39 AM »
hello, is it possible to also display results from network folders? i do have all my network drives indexed in the windows search and they display like a charm, however when i use the plugin in farr, i do get only local results.
I'll check.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2010, 12:02 PM »
hi phitsc,

What version do you use?

Thanks!

Maybe a conflict with another plugin using fscript.dll

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2010, 01:54 PM »
hi phitsc,

What version do you use?

Thanks!

Maybe a conflict with another plugin using fscript.dll

That sounds more likely. You mentioned two different exceptions though. So the other one could still be a FarrWindowsSearch problem.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2010, 02:42 PM »
That sounds more likely. You mentioned two different exceptions though. So the other one could still be a FarrWindowsSearch problem.

Yes, possibly.

Note that I disabled a few plugins recently and I haven't seen the error again. But then I also used it a bit less, so...

I've also had problems with the fscript.dll and other plugins 2 weeks ago. I haven't got the time to get to hearth of the problem but I will tomorrow -- I have about an hour free.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2010, 04:11 PM »
phitsc, mouser recently brought up the idea of a general-purpose chm search tool, and we came across:

http://www.citeknet....abid/64/Default.aspx

Do you think that this IFilter (or something similar) combined with your Windows Search plugin might result in anything interesting?