topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How many furries here at DC?  (Read 8466 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How many furries here at DC?
« on: April 21, 2009, 10:35 PM »
Thought I would start up a thread to see if anyone else here at DC was "furry". It is summarized well on the Furry badge page:

... fans of fictional anthropomorphic animal characters with human personalities and characteristics, like facial expressions, the ability to speak, walk on two legs, and wear clothes.

Basically anyone that takes an interest in, or relates to animals with human traits. Out of the thousands of members here, there have to be a few more than myself and scannie.

Anyone? :)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: How many furries here at DC?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 02:30 AM »
Ummm... when I hear "furry" (link not exactly worksafe), I always associate it with pervs sexxing up in suits with animal tails >_< - so I almost choked on my morning coffee when seeing this thread.
- carpe noctem

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 04:34 AM »
The queen of furry fandom is Kay Shapero.  Furry conventions (ConFurence), furry fiction, furry folk music, recommended reading, the lot!

Gwen7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 01:12 PM »
I always associate it with pervs sexxing up in suits with animal tails

Bizzarre...

Seeing all those Princess Leia wannabes at the ComiCons is strange enough no matter how good their figures or bellydancing talents are. And some of them do have very nice figures and dance skills.

But dressing up like Bugs Bunny's girlfriend to kick off a long romantic evening???!!!!

I must be missing something.

Which is fine by me. ;D

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 01:14 PM by Gwen7 »

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 01:20 PM »
Is Mickey Mouse a furry then?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 01:50 PM »
Is Mickey Mouse a furry then?

No. Mickey Mouse is The Mouse! 8)

Shook

• Joined in 2008
  • ↑ DANISH
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 02:00 PM »
I am probably a slight furry, though it's probably more scalie than furry, and even more geary/whatever you call robot fandom. :huh:
I'd never go around stating that i'm not human inside and out, though, as that would be like calling a pencil a dishwasher. (Those nouns were picked randomly, mind you)
This mainly reflects in my choice of subject when doing pixel art, as i'd usually choose to sprite a robot over a human/living being.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 02:03 PM »
I keep waiting for the punch line. :o

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 03:14 PM »
Wake me up when moe* badge will be available ;)

PS. Kemonomimi - being honest...

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Ummm... when I hear "furry" (link not exactly worksafe), I always associate it with pervs sexxing up in suits with animal tails >_< - so I almost choked on my morning coffee when seeing this thread.

Yea, that is what most people end up (wrongly) associating it with because of negative articles, comments and sometimes outright BS. It is true that it happens, but that is like saying all black people steal - yea, some do, but you can't go labeling the whole basket because of a few bad eggs (bad metaphor, whatever).

Not to say I would mind a tail... :P
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:35 PM by wreckedcarzz »

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 12:31 AM »
Oh boy...  :-\

Furry is definitely the most maligned fandom out there. Probably plenty of reasons. Most people associate talking animals with cartoons for kids, so adults who like that stuff are suspected of gross immaturity (at best.) A related issue is the juxtaposition of imagery that most people see as child-related with adult (sexualized) themes and situations. Maybe it's that the hard-core sci-fi fandom geeks need an even smaller, more despised minority that can be seen as lower on the social totem pole to make themselves feel less like rejects. Or maybe it's something about people who are drawn to the furry fandom that invites abuse, like chronic low self-esteem. Or some combination of all of these?

Whatever the cause, what should probably be seen as a fairly harmless pastime somehow pushes all sorts of ugly emotional buttons for a lot of people. Yeah there are people who get their jollies while dressing up in character costumes, but it's hardly the weirdest fetish I've ever heard of, and it's probably vanishingly rare. There's that one lady who always wears her Star Trek uniform even to work, and talks like she's really in Starfleet, but that somehow doesn't paint all sci-fi fans as kooks in the public's mind.

And just to be perfectly clear, I am absolutely not saying that sci-fi fans are social rejects or that all furries are pathetic losers. That would be absurd and worse, incorrect. I'm talking in a broad sense about feelings and perceptions, not objective reality as it relates to these things.

If I were speaking objectively, I'd feel obliged to point out that human interest in human-animal hybrids goes back to prehistoric times, and that humans assuming animal shapes or communing with animal spirits is part of nearly every society's mythology and cultural tradition. Human interest in assuming the shape of a war robot from outer space is a much more recent invention.
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 04:00 AM »
whatever you call robot fandom.

Charles Stross wrote a humorous science fiction novella Trunk and Disorderly in which cyborgs were "clankies" and unaltered flesh bodies "squishies"...