topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Braid - Awesome independent run 'n' jump game  (Read 11158 times)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Braid - Awesome independent run 'n' jump game
« on: April 12, 2009, 07:14 PM »
If there's any XBOX 360 user in the forum, Braid will be old news to them, as the game was originally released in XBOX Live Arcade more than 8 months ago to critical acclaim, and receiving several awards during the year.

For those who don't know nothing about the game, Braid is simply a 2D platform game. Nothing more, nothing less. You run around and jump on your enemies heads while collecting jigsaw puzzle pieces. The final objective of the game is to rescue a princess, very much like Super Mario Bros. (there are various nods to this and other games during your playthrough).

What makes it different from another platform games, apart from the really nice graphical style that it uses, is the various ways you can manipulate the passage of time for your own benefit, either to grab a jigsaw puzzle which is completely out of your reach, to grab a key that lets you open the door that blocks your way, or simply to correct your mistakes. It starts letting you rewind time to save you from a certain death at the hands of the enemy (much like in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time), but as the game advances you discover new uses based in how certain objects in the game world react to your time manipulation. The developer took advantage of this feature to implement various puzzles here and there that requires certain thinking in how to solve them, which manage to be not very difficult to solve but original at the same time.

braid.exe 0 01-32-27.jpgBraid - Awesome independent run 'n' jump game

The game was released for Windows just yesterday, and the demo is available at the various game distribution systems which offer the game, which includes Impulse and Greenhouse (Steam, for the time being, offers the game and a trailer, but not the demo). A Mac version is also planned. The system requirements are extremely low, so practically everyone can run the game, including netbook owners. The price is very adequate, which makes up for the fact that it seems to be a short game, although probably longer than certain games from the big names in gaming, which are everything but affordable.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 07:18 PM by Lashiec »

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Braid - Awesome independent run 'n' jump game
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 04:06 PM »
Braid is an absolutely stunning game -- the visuals are lovely and the music is brilliantly done.  I love how it was chosen for its ability to be played, memorably, both backwards and forwards.

All in all, I found it to be a truly memorable experience.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 09:42 AM »
I wasn't patient enough for the game.  It was fun, but you *really* have to be into platform/puzzlers and I'm not. :(

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 01:39 AM »
there is a review here but the gist is almost exactly what Lashiec on the OP. :)

http://www.bit-tech....13/braid-pc-review/1

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 12:55 PM »
Bought it - completed it - can't praise it highly enough.

PC Gamer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • PC Game Reviews
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 05:42 AM »
Finally I found some tasteful people!
I love playing platform games and Braid PC Game is one of the best.

I want to add this info to this game review:
Jon Blows has confirmed in his forum that Braid includes a full editor in the PC version. To access it just have to press F11 and get to work.
Jon Blows: Yes, after releasing a new version in a few days to correct the problems that some people have, and when more people have played / finished the game, I will publish some documents to the editor. The way it works is done with the level editor (up to a full game) will be executed later as a universe, is also a tool that will leave you free to make Photoshop files and import the game if you want put new graphics on their levels.
I reviewed the games PC version myself: http://www.pcgametrek.com/braid-game-pc/
The only limit is your imagination!
Online PC Games Magazine : www.pcgametrek.com

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 02:00 PM »
Steam has decided to start the weekend early by nearly giving away a copy of Braid. Not getting it for this price is a sin, guys ;D

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 11:18 PM »
this is a fantastic bargain, worth getting. thanks for the heads-up, Lashiec :Thmbsup: