topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Bookmarks, I am frustrated  (Read 21512 times)

Trilinea

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bookmarks, I am frustrated
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 01:34 PM »
Are you more interested in Bookmarking or actually saving sites / pages? I am curious becuase although some proggies do both perhaps depending on your needs having a more focused solution might be ideal. You mention Linkman which doesn't save pages last I checked so I'm a little confused as to what exactly you need?

For Bookmarks Link Commander by Resort Labs is good and on par with Linkman.
http://www.resortlab...er/linkcommander.php

Offline content solution Metaproducts Inquiry is good. http://www.metaprodu...essional_edition.htm

I think it might be a good idea for you to take a look at the Note Taking Roundup by Aram Chavdarian... maybe MyBase, Surfulater or Evernote fit into your requirements?

https://www.donation...oteTakers1/index.php

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 01:53 PM »
I am interested in sharing my bookmarks and saved pages across my networked computers.  Ideally I am looking for a solution that is integrated. For example it would be great if I have an application that does bookmarking, saving pages and letting me sync the data either shared through network folders or using any syncing application. I am not looking for an application offers custom sharing methods, that is limiting to me. Now sure I can sync any kind of data across computers but I do not want to restart an application when I sync the data so this application should watch the content folder for any change and reflect the change instantly. One of the drawbacks of many of those applications is that they use a private format for keeping the data. I am sure there are benefits to it but I would like the data to be recognizable by many applications.

I have used most of the applications that was reviwed in that page over the years and none of them does what I want.

Basically what I am looking for is Scrapbook addon for FF that actually works with synched data. Scrapbook does exactly what I need. But It does not watch for synced changes, I need to restart Firefox to see the changes.

My current solution is using Onenote(because I can share-sync the notebooks) and multiple Scrapbooks (via FF addon, every computer has its own scrapbook on a network folder).

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 04:54 AM »
I am interested in sharing my bookmarks and saved pages across my networked computers.

For what little it may be worth, you can save pages, or parts of pages, in Evernote, and export them again as MHT files.  Not as seamless or all-encompassing as you may want, but at least  it's a format most people will be able to read.  At least that's true of Evernote 2 series; I haven't tried the Web-based version.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 10:29 AM »
rjbull,
that would not be a sharing method because first it is one way, second it takes alot of steps and dedication. IF you want to sync 50 items a day, that will take alot of time and resources. On the otherhand I can just save .mht out of FF anyways it is easier.

I have been using Evernote and was a dedicated fan for sometime but I have stopped using it last month because I realized that they actually do not care much about their offline users. They want more people to put more stuff on their online servers. I personally hate all these online stuff, online sync online storage. I like to take care of my own data my way not someone else`s way. Also subscription based models are deceptive. I cared about their application not their online options but they seem to like to make subscription based pricing and most of their improvement has been about online stuff. So it makes no sense for me to pay for their subscription. Anyways it might be a good model for those who are crazy for online storage options. To me its waste of time, money and resources to sync local data over internet. You can sync your local evernotes over the internet. But this is a problem it you have more than couple hundred megs.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 10:33 AM by kartal »

Trilinea

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 05:37 PM »
I get the feeling that to get what you want you may need two solutions one proggie that "watches" and syncs your folders and a second one like perhaps Offline Explorer Pro or Enterprise to get your content downloaded in it's original format.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2009, 05:55 PM »
I already have those solutions. What I want is an application that updates itselfs as soon as the content is synced. I use powerfolder to sync my stuff.

I get the feeling that to get what you want you may need two solutions one proggie that "watches" and syncs your folders and a second one like perhaps Offline Explorer Pro or Enterprise to get your content downloaded in it's original format.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 01:40 AM »
kartal: A question to your question as it looks like you have done some research on this.

Do you know if it's possible to have scrapbook save all the content that we 'scrap' online and have it downloaded and synced on another computer automatically? ala Foxmarks for bookmarks.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 01:45 AM »
You can put the scrapbook repo on another computer via syncing or using lan folder. Another client can open and read this data without any problem. The main issue I am facing at the moment is that the changes are not reflected in realtime. you need to restart FF to force Scrapbook to reread the content, thus it updates the content.

My solution is using multiple scrapbook repos at the moment. You can define multiple scrapbooksprofiles  in the settings. This way I have one scrapbook for my laptop one for desktop etc. But the nice thing is that any SB client can open any of these SB repos as seperate profiles(assuming they are shared or synced).As long as that is the case I can see the changes done by other SB client done on individual repositories.

Scrapbook is not synching anything, it has no capability to do that. Best method is using dropbox, powerfolder or similar clients to sync your data. If it is your network then put it on a shared folder and access the content that way.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 01:47 AM by kartal »