topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 4:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Early use of LaunchBar Commander  (Read 3726 times)

forkinpm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Early use of LaunchBar Commander
« on: March 13, 2009, 08:44 AM »
Hallo to you all!
I downloaded recently and yesterday created my first launch bar with some 15 items and it works more or less to my satisfaction, except that trying to use a command line seems to be problematic.
Why, I am uncertain, but intend to try and find out during the course of today.
It is a product I have long wanted to have and now wish to get an optimal use from it. Congrats to the developer!
I began with the intention of creating process related launch Bars.
Trying to create a second bar for a new process and its steps seemed not to work.
Can someone please point me in the right direction to understand how to create a new LaunchBar fully independent of the first bar I have created and be able to launch a particular bar at will?
Can it be that if three bars are created all three will be launched with Windows and that the user must toggle betwen them?
Or is it possible to create launch bars totally independent of each other and at configuration time only open the one to be configured or used?
Or can one only create and use one bar and then have to put all processes on the same bar?
Hoping for answers, kind regards, forkinpm.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 08:47 AM by forkinpm »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Early use of LaunchBar Commander
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 09:00 AM »
allow me to ask a few questions:

First, let me make sure i understand the basic idea of what you want to do:
  • You want to be able to create multiple launch/dockingbars and use them for different purposes.
  • You want to launch the program and tell it which launch/dockingbar to show through a commandline option.
  • Is that right?

As you probably have discovered, LBC is quite good at letting you create multiple docks and store them in different files.

I can't remember if i added commandline support to tell LBC with dock to load and open, but i could add that easily and that would do 99% of what i think you are asking for.

Here is the part that is a bit more troublesome:
Do you want to sometimes have more than 1 of your docks running at the same time?  In this case, things get a little more complicated because it's not clear if the best thing is to open multiple copies of the LBC program or figure out a way through the commandline to tell an existing LBC process to load an additional file.. It could get messy.

And an alternative possibility:
Would you be happy with a solution that let you more easily load LBC on windows startup and then easily SWITCH (or TOGGLE) different bars through the LBC right click menu or hotkey?