topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NASA inviting you to vote on naming part of the space station  (Read 6794 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
RELEASE : M09-034

Be Part Of History -- Help NASA Name The Next Space Station Module

WASHINGTON -- NASA is asking the public to help name the International Space Station's next module - a control tower for robotics in space and the world's ultimate observation deck.

Eight refrigerator-sized racks in the Node 3 module will provide room for many of the station's life support systems. Attached to the node is the cupola, a one-of-a-kind work station with six windows around the sides and one on top. The cupola will offer astronauts a spectacular view of their home planet and their home in space. In addition to providing a perfect location to observe and photograph Earth, the cupola also will contain a robotics workstation from which astronauts will be able to control the station's 57-foot robotic arm.

Individuals can vote for the module's name online, choosing one of four NASA suggestions -- Earthrise, Legacy, Serenity or Venture -- or writing in a name. Submissions will be accepted Feb. 19 through March 20. The name should reflect the spirit of exploration and cooperation embodied by the space station and follow in the tradition set by Node 1, named "Unity," and Node 2, named "Harmony."

The winning name will be announced at the Node 3 unveiling April 28 at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The node is scheduled to arrive at Kennedy April 20 and is targeted for launch in late 2009.

For more information, to submit a name and to view pictures of the node and cupola, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/namenode3

Serenity is currently ahead with 83% of the vote.

Those of you Joss Whedon fans (like me!) who truly want to right the cruel injustices done to the Firefly series finally have the chance to do something about it.

serenity-teaser-poster-for web.jpg

Shiny! 8)

Keep flyin' :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 03:44 PM by 40hz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: NASA inviting you to vote on naming part of the space station
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 11:22 PM »
I vote for DoCoStation!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 12:16 PM »
I vote for DoCoStation!

Heretic!   >:( ;D

BTW: Serenity is now at 84%, :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 12:32 PM »

I was just thinking about this a couple days ago:

In ancient times, the Greeks named planets they discovered after their gods. In modern times, we name our planets after TV shows... (Planet Xena and the moon Gabrielle).

Now I find out that we can name a space station and once again people are going for a TV show... :-\ :huh:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 01:23 PM »

I was just thinking about this a couple days ago:

In ancient times, the Greeks named planets they discovered after their gods. In modern times, we name our planets after TV shows... (Planet Xena and the moon Gabrielle).

Now I find out that we can name a space station and once again people are going for a TV show... :-\ :huh:

But not just any TV show. Being a movie buff, I hardly ever watch TV. But I did watch Firefly. If you never caught it, rent the DVDs and give it a spin. You might be surprised how good a television series can be if they let it.

Of course, if we continued in the Greek and Roman tradition of naming planets after our gods, what would we call them today?

I'm afraid it would be something like: Madonna -or- Brittany -or- J-Lo -or- MONEY!

;D

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 01:38 PM by 40hz »

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 02:33 PM »
I still think Symbiote is best
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 04:11 PM »
But not just any TV show. Being a movie buff, I hardly ever watch TV. But I did watch Firefly. If you never caught it, rent the DVDs and give it a spin. You might be surprised how good a television series can be if they let it.

My friend rented Serenity back in 2005 or so and nearly the entire time I was watching it I was thinking of how stupid and full of cliches it was. He liked it so much he later bought the movie and the Firefly TV series. Then he started watching Firefly and I liked it a lot more than the movie because I was used to the character's personalities and roles. Somewhere along the lines we also watched Serenity again and it wasn't as bad as I first thought. Still, it's just a TV show.

Although I must admit, at least it's somewhat related to space, and is just a space vessel, thus it makes more sense than naming a planet after Xena: Warrior Princess.

Of course, if we continued in the Greek and Roman tradition of naming planets after our gods, what would we call them today?

I'm afraid it would be something like: Madonna -or- Brittany -or- J-Lo -or- MONEY!

I see your point, but at the same time I think perhaps you didn't quite get mine. Even the Romans named some of the months after the "great" rulers. And days of the week are named after something important (Sunday for the sun, Monday for the moon, not sure exactly what the others are for). We just go, "Xena is hot! Name it after her! Oh yeah, and Gabrielle too!"

The point is that, especially with the Greeks, they named the planets after something they truly believed in; we don't really believe in Madonna or Britney or J-Lo or Money. We just obsess over them.

We could at least choose a name of significance instead of naming something as incredible as a planetary discovery after a poorly acted, stupid TV show.  :-\

The name of a part of the space station isn't that big of a deal to me. So I guess this is more of a belated rant on planet Xena, since like I said, I was thinking about this a few days ago. Before I heard about this space station part.

Oh well. I guess Shakespeare was right: A rose by any other name would still aggravate my allergies.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 05:42 PM »
The point is that, especially with the Greeks, they named the planets after something they truly believed in;

Since I wasn't alive back then, I can't really know how much the Ancients actually believed in their Pantheon, but I suspect (people being what they are) that it was much like "religious belief" is today: many truly believe, most sorta believe, some don't believe at all, and the rest just ride it for what it gets them.

In Chapter 2 of Gibbon's classic Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire he offered this observation:

The various modes of worship, which prevailed in the Roman world, were all considered by the people, as equally true; by the philosopher, as equally false; and by the magistrate, as equally useful.

we don't really believe in Madonna or Britney or J-Lo or Money.

I think that depends on who you call "we." Especially when it comes to money.

We just obsess over them.

Bravo! That is a very astute point- and an important distinction. :Thmbsup:

Still, it's just a TV show.

True. But I think it's interesting to note that the first space shuttle was christened Enterprise (after the ship in Star Trek) largely due to the lobbying of none other than Walter Cronkite. Nobody seemed to have a problem with that back when it happened.

I guess we've just gotten a lot more serious over the years.

:)

-----
BTW: Serenity is now at 85% 86% Ah-choo! :P

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 01:57 PM by 40hz »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 05:10 PM »
Offtopic, but since you were talking about Josh Whedon... :D