topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Searching through page content in Firefox Bookmarks  (Read 9039 times)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Searching through page content in Firefox Bookmarks
« on: February 02, 2009, 05:46 AM »
Title says it all really, I've got a few hundred bookmarks now. More often than not I want to find something on a page I bookmarked, but the bookmarking mechanism in Firefox - as opposed to Opera - only allows you to search through url and title (and tags).

What's the best way to search through actual page content? I hope someone's made an extension that indexes bookmarks page content periodically in the background that I can search through.

Cus, I'm not looking forward to copy and pasting a few hundred webpages into something like evernote and manually checking if the information is updated every sunday :P

Any ideas, tips, flames etc (except for putting a donk on it)?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 05:47 AM by justice »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Searching through page content in Firefox Bookmarks
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 05:55 AM »
After thinknig about it again I guess i want the information to be accessible even when the page might disappear - so starting up Evernote. When clipping with Evernote it saves the url so I can go online and check for updated information.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:34 AM »
https://www.iterasi.net/Home.aspx is made just for you justice :)
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 07:40 AM »
I think a good solution would be to use WebSite-Watcher. WebSite-Watcher caches the pages you are watching locally. You could then include those pages in the index of your prefered search tool.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 07:55 AM »
o yeah Iterasi imports firefox and delicious bookmarks  :greenclp:
tinjaw clever idea! Should look into that too.

edit: wow this is the sweetest thing i've seen in a long time!
2009-02-02_140544.jpgSearching through  page content in Firefox Bookmarks
2009-02-02_140336.jpgSearching through  page content in Firefox Bookmarks
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:08 AM by justice »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 05:22 AM »
Right tried this yesterday, today I changed my mind.

Issues they could improve on:
* the site is painfully slow - especially for a bookmark manager type site it should be instant - 2 to 3x faster than currently. Possibly in beta this is not an issue but for general use it is.
* new accounts are on a beta trial - so I think we'll need to pay for this in the future in which case I'm not interested.
* no way to delete account from admin pages - or any indication in help how you can delete account.
* help center is not searable and individual help pages are not bookmarkable.
* captured pages are public by default (though with checkbox toggle). I was stupid and make mine public then realised I wasn't sure what's on the 300 pages. You can only make 15 pages at a time 'private' (I was hitting 1000) and it's not possible to unsubscribe from the public directory.

What I liked:
* it's very good at searching through page content from your bookmarks.
* it indexes delicious  / magnolia accounts as well as your bookmarks - centralizing it in 1 place
* web site accessible from multiple places so no sync problems (maybe foxmarks could index contents that would rock)
* If you like tagging and folders then you can eat your heart out
* visual thumbnails option for every site
* automatic scheduling of indexing for pages so you can compare it over time

but I will just clip selected content with evernote when needed as I already have it installed and know how it works. Lesson learned - "The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side of the Fence"
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 05:31 AM by justice »

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 07:22 PM »
I took a quick look at both of the suggestions. I have to admit I like the no-install bookmarklet version of Iterasi. The possible downside is that it's in beta, with no apparent time line or hint that it's status will change from free to commercial.
Website-Watcher is another story. It appears to be very clear about what it does (which is a lot). The Basic version looks like it does all the heavy lifting most users will need. It's about 30 Euros, and can be tried for free for 30 days.
Both programs can be integrated into FF via extension.

In the bad old days when I used to accumulate hundreds of bookmarks, either of these would have been interesting. (I still get occasional emails from AskSam because of Surf Saver) Now, I only bookmark a few sites that I want to track, rarely more than 60-75. When I get that many, I look through them and eliminate anything not visited for 2-3 months!

hth
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.