topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful  (Read 766015 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful
« Reply #825 on: March 06, 2016, 10:30 AM »
I should have mentioned I installed the private fix version of TAC from Curt's post.  Not the one off the web.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: keeping track of and backing-up add-ons.
« Reply #826 on: March 07, 2016, 07:52 AM »
I keep a check/backup of my many Firefox add-ons using FEBE, Firefox Sync, and Extension List Dumper (the latter slightly modified to get it to work). However, NirSoft seems to have come up with something very useful for all/most browsers: New utility that displays the details of all Web browser addons/plugins installed in your system

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #827 on: March 08, 2016, 05:51 PM »
Open in Edge is coming
11097-64.png

It has another author, another name and more features, so it's quite basically another one...:

"Open With": https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/open-with/  or  https://github.com/darktrojan/openwith

It's version 6.5.2, so it's not new. I can't understand why I didn't know about it; it fits my wish list so precisely, "Open in Edge" included.
 :up:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:02 AM by Curt, Reason: Open in Edge »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #828 on: March 19, 2016, 07:46 AM »
Textarea Cache was just updated  :up:

* Fix compatibility with Firefox 45
-Textarea Cache 0.9.3.4

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #829 on: March 19, 2016, 09:19 AM »
Textarea Cache was just updated  :up:

* Fix compatibility with Firefox 45
-Textarea Cache 0.9.3.4

Thanks for the heads up.   :up:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: bring back The Addons Bar!
« Reply #830 on: March 21, 2016, 10:20 AM »
/RANT ON
It really did annoy - and it still does - that Mozilla unilaterally decided to kill off the Add-on Bar: refer What happened to the Add-on Bar? | Firefox Help
It was thus left up to 3rd party Add-ons to fill the gap - which they did for a short while, but which were subsequently broken by changes to Firefox - e.g., The Add-on Bar (Restored).
/RANT OFF

Does anyone on this forum know of a workaround to fully restore the Addons Bar?

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #831 on: March 21, 2016, 10:35 AM »
Classic Theme Restorer or Status 4 Evar.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #832 on: March 23, 2016, 04:11 PM »
Jonathan13: are you affiliated with Zotero? At first glance your post looks like some of the spam we usually get, but it doesn't have the Google hits that spam usually gives - also, Zotero seems to be free as well as Open Source, so it would be a weird form of spam... but it's always nice to know where people coming from.

Welcome onboard, by the way :-)
- carpe noctem

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #833 on: March 24, 2016, 11:10 AM »
Thanks!
Classic Theme Restorer works, though I am unsure whether I want the rest of what it does. Still experimenting...
Status 4 Evar seems to have been abandoned, so I didn't try it.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful - Zotero
« Reply #834 on: March 24, 2016, 11:12 AM »
Zotero is an amazing new bibliographic reference manager. Calling it an "extension" doesn't do it justice. It behaves like a full-fledged application within Firefox. If you're a student, academician, researcher or writer, you really should check this out. If you've been saving for Endnote or RefWorks, you can probably spend that money on something else.

(Attribution link corrected 2016-04-08 1431hrs.)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 09:29 PM by IainB, Reason: Attribution link corrected 2016-04-08 1431hrs. »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #835 on: March 24, 2016, 11:52 AM »

Classic Theme Restorer and Status 4 Evar (I use both at the same time)!

------------
------------
Status-4-Evar [S4E] was "officially" updated for Firefox 44 at least, and works well on my 45.

https://addons.mozil...addon/status-4-evar/
https://github.com/SparkyBluefang/S4E
http://caligonstudio...m?act=view&id=26

------------
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:21 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #836 on: March 24, 2016, 12:31 PM »
Zotero is an amazing new bibliographic reference manager. Calling it an "extension" doesn't do it justice. It behaves like a full-fledged application within Firefox. If you're a student, academician, researcher or writer, you really should check this out. If you've been saving for Endnote or RefWorks, you can probably spend that money on something else.

Note that Zotero requires Firefox 2.0.

Rick

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #837 on: April 07, 2016, 07:02 AM »
Anyone know how to keep AddOns from focus stealing by adding a foreground tab every time they update?  It is a real nuisance.  You are typing in a form and all of a sudden a different tab has the focus because xyzAddOn updated.  Silent mode would be way more convenient.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #838 on: April 07, 2016, 10:05 AM »
-maybe uncheck automatic updating? If the addons already work, they can most likely wait...

I know no other way.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #839 on: April 07, 2016, 02:14 PM »
-maybe uncheck automatic updating? If the addons already work, they can most likely wait...

I know no other way.

Thank you.  I'll give that a try.  Besides, it seems crazy to update Theme Font and Size Changer and similar AddOns every time I go from x.0.1 to x.0.2 etc..  I mean, the AddOn is the same I am sure.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #840 on: April 07, 2016, 05:19 PM »
I use "Print Friendly" every day. But it is a bookmark button, so I have so far had to display the bookmark bar so often that naturally I stopped hiding it. Then of course I got annoyed that it took up so much space... Now the wonder solution is here: Bookmark Toolbar Menu Button

2016-04-08_001602.gif

https://addons.mozil...-toolbar-menu-button

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #841 on: April 07, 2016, 09:27 PM »

Note that Zotero requires Firefox 2.0.
Rick

Thanks for spotting my mistuk @Curt. I have corrected the link.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #842 on: April 10, 2016, 01:37 AM »
from time to time it's good for me to be reminded of Codefisher's Toolbar Buttons:

https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/
https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/button_list/

As an example of what you can have, I have these Page Navigation Buttons by Button Guy >>Adds four buttons to help with page navigation: Page Top, Page Bottom, Page Down and Page Up<<

Toolbar Buttons is a button set for Firefox, Thunderbird. It is the largest set of buttons available for these application, boasting over 100 buttons for Firefox alone
-Toolbar Buttons

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
reduce extension button delay on startup?
« Reply #843 on: April 27, 2016, 05:54 PM »
Anyone know a trick to reduce the extension button delay on startup?  I have FF set to open about:blank and have Fast Dial as New Tab page.  But when I start FF it hangs for a few seconds as the extensions display their buttons in the AddOn Bar.  While this is going on FF will not open a new tab with a url.  It is like it is frozen for a few seconds.

This really bogs down my system startup routine.
Even after all the buttons show, pressing the Fast Dial button gets no reaction for a couple of seconds.  I don't remember FF being this lame.  Seems to be really clunky in versions over 30.  The version number changes so fast it is hard to remember where things started to go wrong.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #844 on: April 27, 2016, 06:27 PM »

version 2, is where it began to go wrong.

Anyway; I have deactivated and tested this and that, but found no wonder cure. Here it's more than a couple of seconds... but of course you already knew that, from the length of the list of my addons.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox bloat.
« Reply #845 on: April 27, 2016, 11:01 PM »
Anyone know a trick to reduce the extension button delay on startup?  I have FF set to open about:blank and have Fast Dial as New Tab page.  But when I start FF it hangs for a few seconds as the extensions display their buttons in the AddOn Bar.  While this is going on FF will not open a new tab with a url.  It is like it is frozen for a few seconds.
This really bogs down my system startup routine.
Even after all the buttons show, pressing the Fast Dial button gets no reaction for a couple of seconds.  I don't remember FF being this lame.  Seems to be really clunky in versions over 30.  The version number changes so fast it is hard to remember where things started to go wrong.
Yers, FF releases (I'm on the Beta channel) seem to have been getting incrementally and progressively more sluggish over the last couple of years. It's bloatware now and has got to the point where I am seriously considering dumping FF and going to another browser.
So far trialled:
  • Pale Moon: Nope. More of the same as FF, and too idiosyncratic for my liking
  • Google Canary: Nope. Via the 64-bit Google Chrome Beta channel. A bit faster, but still bloatware and I mistrust Google.
  • Chromium: Not bad, but has been crippled a bit by removing the Google APIs.
  • Internet Explorer 11: Both x86 and x64 versions are very good, but MS seem to be wanting to discontinue the product.
  • MS Edge: Bloody fast, but then it's not been loaded up with the inevitable bloatware yet...

Increasingly, when FF slows to a crawl, I find myself impatiently switching to MS Edge, because it is just so fast and reliable (at the moment).
If FF didn't have all those useful addons that it does - especially Scrapbook - then I'd probably dump it today.
I have had a gutsful of FF - what with the s-l-o-w bloatware, all the cr#p and dysfunctional overload regarding "signed addons". and their management's pontifications about what's good for me (trying to justify what they intend to force-feed me).
My usual laptop has an AMD-A8 processor. Interestingly, I loaded up my FF configuration onto a laptop with an Intel i7 processor the other day, and the FF response time was much improved. So maybe that's the "trick"?
That is, get an i7 processor.   :tellme:
Shades of those infamously cynical IBM upgrades in days of yore...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #846 on: April 28, 2016, 07:22 AM »
Increasingly, when FF slows to a crawl, I find myself impatiently switching to MS Edge, because it is just so fast and reliable (at the moment).

It is a shame.  On my system it is not even so much that it is slow as that it hangs incessantly just doing stuff like trying to scroll an already loaded page.  I keep dragging the mouse on the scroll control and watching as nothing happens.  Then I keep getting the dialog box about how the script is not responding.  It is next to unusable.  I guess I have to adapt to another browser soon.  I just got this one set up so that SAS quick scans come up clean.  It figures.  :(

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #847 on: April 28, 2016, 08:08 AM »
I am surprised that IainB's list doesn't mention Opera, especially with Opera Turbo, and the (I have deleted the rest of the original post - it seems I was quoting an old, out of date page.) Anyway, the new Opera is fast.

logo@2x.pngFirefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:00 AM by Curt »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #848 on: April 28, 2016, 10:03 AM »
I am surprised that IainB's list doesn't mention Opera, especially with Opera Turbo, and the (I have deleted the rest of the original post - it seems I was quoting an old, out of date page.) Anyway, the new Opera is fast.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

For grins I just tried Opera Portable.  I imported FF bookmarks.  But it seems Opera has abandoned the .adr format.  Now it has some nested script stuff. It used to be trivial to open bookmarks.adr and delete a couple of lines to get rid of the Bookmarks imported from Firefox folder and have the bookmarks overlay the Opera bookmarks.  All I had to do after that was place the bookmarks toolbar bookmarks on the toolbar by drag and drop.

Now I have no desire to delve any deeper.  I just rolled back my system to get rid of it.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #849 on: April 28, 2016, 10:17 AM »
...Now I have no desire to delve any deeper.  I just rolled back my system to get rid of it.