topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SpiderMonkey  (Read 7703 times)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SpiderMonkey
« on: December 23, 2008, 02:00 PM »
Started looking into SpiderMonkey the other day and noticed some nice links at the bottom of a related Wikipedia page.  A selection of some (well, most) of them:

Scripting C++ with JavaScript using SpiderMonkey
wxJavaScript - porting wxWidgets using SpiderMonkey (and more)
SpiderApe - a C++ library built on top of SpiderMonkey [which] allows C++ developers to embed SpiderMonkey simply and easily into their client applications
jslibs - zlib, SQLite, NSPR, ode, libpng, libjpeg, libffi, (...) libraries for SpiderMonkey
TriXUL - XML-based GUI toolkit embeds SpiderMonkey, using JavaScript to implement logic behind its GUI, supporting calls from JavaScript to C++ objects.
Misc Projects - JavaScript Native Interface (JSNI), CPP to JS object wrapper, Script Host

If anyone has experience w/ SpiderMonkey already or is considering using it or has opinions about it, etc. would love to hear any related thoughts :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: SpiderMonkey
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 03:23 PM »
Great set of links.. and very interesting project.. i'm definitely going to be looking into this.  :up:

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 04:00 PM »
jslibs - zlib, SQLite, NSPR, ode, libpng, libjpeg, libffi, (...) libraries for SpiderMonkey

I've used this myself once or twice, very very impressive. April has a friend who knows a lot more about it than I.

TriXUL - XML-based GUI toolkit embeds SpiderMonkey, using JavaScript to implement logic behind its GUI, supporting calls from JavaScript to C++ objects.

Is this not a little redundant when you consider XULRunner?

Ehtyar.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 05:46 AM »
I've used this myself once or twice, very very impressive. April has a friend who knows a lot more about it than I.

Yeah...

A friend of mine (rkarman) built the original version of a really cool scriptable chat server called ARCA Eclipse, to host chatrooms on the Ares P2P network. (This was before Ares went open source) He used Spidermonkey in it.

The server is a great teaching tool for teaching beginners programming, by allowing them to play with Javascript right in the chatroom. He even included a debugger to give them feedback.

Chatroom admins can have a lot of fun with it too. With a scriptable server, there is no need to have room bots for playing games and other features. Plus you can create a function, toss it in the room, and use it immediately.

Back in the early days, I coded a complete slot machine game as a single function of under 200 chars and tossed it into the room. About 5 minutes later, someone else in the room coded a cheat function for it.  ;D

Today the server is developed and maintained by another party, as rkarman decided he no longer wanted to do it himself.

Before passing the project on, he gave a small group of trusted admins from his chatroom a copy of the original source, with express wishes that it be used for learning, and never for the purposes of creating malware. I am one of the caretakers of the original code, in case anyone would like to see the source to learn from.

I can't post it publicly, as I am only allowed to give it out to people I consider trustworthy.

(btw, he didn't know C/C++ before starting this project, and basically learned it in a day, so the code might be messy. He stated that if it had been his choice, it would have been written in either C# or VB.net. And if you want to know why it wasn't, you have to ask hollowlife1987)

Is this not a little redundant when you consider XULRunner?

Or Boxely?

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 08:59 PM »
Thanks Ehtyar and app103, for your comments!

W.r.t TriXUL: perhaps you are right about the redundantness -- from my brief examination of XULRunner (thanks Ehtyar for your detailed post elsewhere on this BTW), I got the sense that it covers quite a lot...so perhaps it will eventually end up being redundant w/ everything ;)  It's true that these two things aren't applications per se I guess, but I'm reminded of this JWZ saying.

Hadn't heard of Boxely and that chat server sounds amazing -- thanks for sharing these :)

Mary101

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 10:30 PM »
 Great info.