topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What the? - the case of the undeletable file...  (Read 10645 times)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What the? - the case of the undeletable file...
« on: December 10, 2008, 07:32 PM »
I don't really expect to get a definitive answer to this one as there are simple too many unknowns, but...

I have written a bundle of Excel macros that are used widely throughout our company.  To simplify the distribution/installation they are packaged into an (NSIS) installer.

I recently released an update to a limited number of crash test dummies users and have run across an issue that I don't understand and which is preventing me from distributing it further.

In this release I renamed the addin to indicate the version, something I hadn't previously done.  Problem is that whilst the installer deletes all traces of the old version, the deleted file is magically reincarnated at the next reboot (and blocks the loading of the new version).

to further complicate the issue, it doesn't happen to everyone (though it is consistent for those who are afflicted).

I have been through a couple of users PC's and can find no trace of the offending file anywhere (including network drives), yet after a reboot the file returns.

I've uninstalled the addin and it still returns

We are operating on a corporate LAN using XP desktops and office 2003 - the desktop environments are (virtually) SOE so there is little room for an unruly app to be the culprit here (and what app would do something like this anyway??)

I've also asked this question on our internal tech forums and no one had any ideas or suggestions...

I realise the enormity of what I'm asking but any/all suggestions would be appreciated

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What the? - the case of the undeletable file...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 11:46 PM »
It may be related to a local cache (just a wild guess, but still worth mentioning ...)

These two TechNet threads may also help you in pinpointing the problem:

clearing cache

How to completely turn off excel-addin local cache??

I'll have what she's having

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 12:37 AM »
both those articles appear to be referring to the use of the 'pps' addin in Excel (office?) 2007 which we aren't using

sounds feasible, though i can't see any reference to anything like this in any of the Excel Help files (not that that means much... :mad:)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 03:37 AM »
Not sure if this would be of any use, but what about using something like Unlocker to delete the file? Or a program that "shreds" the file so it cannot be recovered?

Also, make sure you can see hidden files and maybe even system files so that when you're searching for "leftovers" you can be sure to find them all.

gonetomorrow

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • meeow!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Office can be a bear for getting rid of anything.  It probably refuses to let the original file die.  I'd love to know why this happens on some users' machines and not others.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 04:13 AM »
the file isn't locked, so an unlocker isn't necessary - closing excel is all thats necessary to delete the file, and once deleted the new version loads as advertised, at least until the next reboot...

I always search hidden/system files as well, just in case.  And as I said, I've scanned all the local and network drives and the file cannot be found, but it always comes back at the next reboot  :huh::mad:

I haven't tried shredding the file, though I'm not quite sure how that might help (if the file isn't staying deleted, then it seems logical that there's something wrong with either the OS or the network, or both, though the number of occurences would indicate otherwise)

I had thought of going back to the old naming convention (I've added an 'about' button to give version info), but there is still the issue of deleting the thing should someone ever need to...

gonetomorrow

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • meeow!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 12:46 PM »
Your knowledge of Office greatly exceeds my own.  I hope this link may offer some help:Removing references to network resources that have been permanently taken off-line

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 05:10 PM »
Your knowledge of Office greatly exceeds my own. 

unlikely, and thanks for the link

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 01:35 AM »
This may seem silly but is there anyway you have missed a file on the drive, network drives or in a shared files on the users computers and other computers and it is being run at startup. Try checking your startup locations in the reg, ini files and config files and any other location.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 05:30 PM »
This may seem silly but is there anyway you have missed a file on the drive, network drives or in a shared files on the users computers and other computers and it is being run at startup. Try checking your startup locations in the reg, ini files and config files and any other location.

it's possible that I've missed it, though I've done numerous searches without finding anything

I haven't checked any reg entries (or equivalent) as I haven't set any (the addin is added to the default Excel startup directory) - it seems logical (to me) though to assume that any reg entries (or equivalent) that pointed to a non-existent file would have no effect

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 08:16 PM »
it seems logical (to me) though to assume that any reg entries (or equivalent) that pointed to a non-existent file would have no effect

You are right but it also seems logical that the file must be hiding some where for it to be rewritten, the cache seems a logical place but if you have cleaned the cache and searched the computers it much be

1, Some where else.
2, Renamed.

Have you removed it from the server where you where distributing it, if uses have installed it from the server then it will not be on their computers and it will reinstall from the server.

Often when I download something I will rename to give it a more meaning full name to me, if this has been done the name you give it would not turn up in a search, The uses may not think about telling you they have renamed it.

Try deleting the files again remove the computer from the network (by unplugging the cable) and restarting the computer then check it the file has returned, if it has it is on the local computer if not then it is on the network. (You can do this if you do not have domain logins and everything is local)

If you have domain logins you may have to create a local login and make sure it is happening with the local login before doing the above. (copy everything from  C:\Documents and Settings\%username% to the local user name and and test first you may (or may not) need to change the network settings and password for the new local user name).

This may work and it may not I am not to sure but if it does you will know if the file is local or not.

Edit: PS clean the cache after removing the computer from the network and before restarting.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:21 PM by Davidtheo »