topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Question about result display size  (Read 5858 times)

cracksloth

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Question about result display size
« on: August 24, 2008, 06:56 PM »
I've been trying to figure out how FARR determines the size of the result listing - maybe someone can help me out? From options I see 3 options:
1) normal results list - I think I understand this. Any regular parse result that is not a perfect alias match or a path in directory browse mode
2) extended result list - I'm not clear on the definition of this. Alias listings and die browse seem uneffected. Is the "+sall" suffix used to switch from regular to extended? Is there a hotkey for this?
3) max size to grow results - again, I'm not sure on this one. FARR respects my screen size and doesn't display more than I can handle. Does this just limit the number of "regular" search results (non-alias and non-dirlist)?

Can anyone help clarify this for me?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Question about result display size
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 03:55 AM »
2) extended result list <-- this used to be for dir listing but i think now i use +sall automatically on dir listing so i'm not sure this is event used now.

3) as you say farr wont grow bigger than your screen size, but this value can tell it never to grow bigger than a certain value.  i should probably make this a pixel size, it would make more sense.

cracksloth

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 10:42 AM »
good info! just trying to learn the settings so this was helpful! most things are self-explanatory but in this case the help file wasn't too helpful so I'm glad you clarified

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:29 AM »
does there have to be a space before +sall, seems like it..

It is nice having a minimal UI but I think it would be good to have an easier way (for beginners/non-advanced especially) to access the rest of the list

a discreet arrow in the statusbar maybe? (although then you'd prob have to change/add to the statusbar text to ensure no confusion)

something like

[use arrow key to go to results                                                               further results V]
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 12:04 PM »
It is nice having a minimal UI but I think it would be good to have an easier way (for beginners/non-advanced especially) to access the rest of the list

a discreet arrow in the statusbar maybe? (although then you'd prob have to change/add to the statusbar text to ensure no confusion)

something like

[use arrow key to go to results                                                               further results V]

+1 for that, tomos