topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Directory Tree Shortcut, Directory Tree SendTo, DirectoryTree Toys?  (Read 12767 times)

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This may only be doable from the system tray, I'm unsure. I would still use it a lot though.

Basically, what I am looking for is instead of a shortcut to a folder, a directory tree where you can navigate to the folder you'd like to open in explorer (or perhaps right click to copy the full directory path to the clipboard).

For example, I have a ton of folders that organize all of my crap. I like my directory system but sometimes I have to go through a mass of directories to get to the specific folder I need. Here is an example:

(Note: The root directory I use is called Files)

Files > Media > Visual > Motion > Anime > Chobits

Normally, I'd have to click a shortcut to files, then double click media, then double click visual, you get the idea. Some may be saying just enable the single click opens a folder option, but I completely despise that functionality. Not to mention it would save me minimal time since there is still a great deal of mouse travel involved.

I have attached a screenshot of how I have my sendto menu set up to work, basically I would want a shortcut that looks just like the sendto menu with a couple of exceptions. First, it would be excellent if you could actually click a folder to be referring to that actual folder, rather than having to have a copy of 2 of each one to go into the dir and another to use that particular dir. Second, if you'd really wanna get fancy (but, not really necessary) adding a "New Folder" button, or even slim bar at the bottom would be really useful.

The second half of what I am talking about (I think it could be done with the same program, but I really don't know o_O) is basically the exact same thing, where you can add a directory or directories to the sendto menu including its subdirectories (possibly add an option for how many directories deep to go, but I am perfectly fine with unlimited). This would be so nice to not have to go through the pain and misery of making it all manually. Also with some folders, they change all the time so keeping them manually updated is basically impossible (like the anime folder in my example).

Does that explain what I need well enough? If not, perhaps I can explain more just let me know. This is something that would enrich my computing experience so much I would really be willing to pay for it.
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Might not be exactly what you're asking, but is FileBox eXtender the sort of thing you're looking for?  If it is, you might want to read the DC review on Best Open/Save Dialog Box Extenders.  That's probably a bit out of date now, e.g. it doesn't say that FileBox eXtender has now gone freeware, but worth checking for comments on the ideas in the programs.

( Disclaimer - I don't use FileBox eXtender  because I have enough similar functionality built into also-freeware PowerPro that I run anyway. )

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Edit: I just did an exhaustive look at the options etc, and concluded the same thing. FBX doesn't really have too many features, so I am pretty sure I'm not overlooking it.

Hey thanks for the suggestion. I happen to know that filebox extender is _not_ what I am looking for because I am a very happy user of filebox extender and have been for some time :).

While I highly recommend the program to others, it doesn't do what I need because it does not have a tree option (unless I'm totally overlooking it, but I _have_ looked, a lot). You can make a list of your files, but there are 2 problems. 1) It doesn't auto-update, so if you'd like to add a directory structure, you have to manually add every entry, then remove those as they go away, presenting much the same problem that I am having currently with my SendTo menu. And, 2) It does not offer directory tree that I know of, so adding the huge directory tree that I have would make it literally scroll 2 pages. This would make it no more convenient than what I already have.

It's excellent for having 'favorites', and has enriched my computing experience yet, but I am looking for something more. Directory trees via a click menu are a huge possibility that I think has been overlooked, correct me if I'm mistaken though.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 11:41 AM by Kamel »

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here is another screenshot, which may be a bit more descriptive (and I'm nearly finished adding all subdirs etc to the sendto menu)

Edit: seems the attach function isn't working well for me, so I'll try and use imageshack

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/8770/sendtomenuhz2.jpg
IDEA: Directory Tree Shortcut, Directory Tree SendTo, DirectoryTree Toys?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 01:31 PM by Kamel »

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nothing? :(

If you're having trouble understanding what I'm asking about please say so and I'll try and explain myself further.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
If you're having trouble understanding what I'm asking about please say so and I'll try and explain myself further.

yeah, i'm lost. i don't understand what you are wanting.

SirSmiley

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think he's looking for a recursive folder menu that runs from the sendto folder.

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I guess he wants to auto-update the folder-structure in his sendto-menu in realtime if new entries come up.

SirSmiley

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've found using the folder menu in QTTabBar does this fine for me. Just drag the file over the folder and wait for the menu to pop up then navigate down until I find the folder I want.

vinayakjoshi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey

I think the easiest way to do it to:

1. Right-click on your taskbar
2. Select Toolbars > Add New Toolbar
3. Select My Computer as the folder

Now you have the entire file structure on your taskbar always.

No need for a separate program. Windows itself has the functionality built in.

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i had a really nice post written up and lost it. Sometimes, a pic says a thousand words though so check out this picture and see if it helps you understand more.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1110/jumptota8.jpg
IDEA: Directory Tree Shortcut, Directory Tree SendTo, DirectoryTree Toys?

Used imageshack, hope it shows up. If not, clicky

And pls don't make fun of my bad paint skills :(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 06:01 PM by Kamel »