topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox 3.5 [FINAL]  (Read 29222 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox 3.1 [BETA 2]
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2008, 02:52 AM »
Well, when Fx 2 was released I upgraded immediately and was without most of my extensions for a few months. Worse, Roboform was not able to work on Fx 2 for a while.

When Fx 3 was released I waited three months and had problems with only three extensions, and I was able to get two working with the Nightly Tester Tool. Tab Mix Plus just got their Fx 3 extension out about a month and a half ago. They did have a "developers' build" available but not publicized at all, and that one was a true-blue beta - lotsa Fx crashes while they worked out the kinks.

As I said, I prefer to wait until I know I can use all or most of my extensions before upgrading - can't see why I would want or need to before that. (And I am not asking or telling anyone else to "prefer" my way!)

Jim

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox 3.1 [BETA 2]
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 04:25 AM »
The leap from FF2 to 3 was surprisingly smooth.

I tried the 3.1 beta cursorily, most of my (53) extensions didn't want to play along so I guess I'll be waiting too.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox 3.1 [BETA 3]
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 07:57 PM »
BETA 3 has been released (as per the modified subject). Ars has an interesting article here that details some interesting things going on at Mozilla. The portable version is available here, see here for instructions on how to run it concurrently with another running instance.

Ehtyar.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox 3.1 [BETA 3]
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 02:29 PM »
Running FF 3.1 beta 3 and the thing I can't figure out, is the New Tab Button on the Tab Bar seems to appear at random. I thought I had it figured out that if I had the New Tab Button on the Toolbar, that it wouldn't come up, but I guess that was coincidence since now I open up and there it is again.  Seems to be no way to kill it off. (The one on the Tab Bar I mean, I can put up with the one on the Toolbar, at least it doesn't keep moving around.)

Any FF gurus know the Easter Egg to get this thing off off my psyche?  :)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox 3.5 [FINAL]
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 10:24 PM »
The final is out boils and goils!!!

Get the portable version here to try things out.

Ehtyar.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 11:32 PM »
I've been using Google Chrome since the first public beta came out (I think). Now I'm back to Firefox! As far as I can tell it's got everything I liked about Chrome, plus it has Flashblock.

I used this to make FirefoxPortable the default browser in Windows 7 RC. The little program seems to work. Other than that I don't know anything about it... Norton said it's not a virus though, so that's good.
Screenshot - 6_30_2009 , 10_35_48 PM.pngFirefox 3.5 [FINAL]

Small complaint: I would like to have "X" buttons on both the tabs and on the right. Also, I'd also like to have an "X" button on the last tab.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:50 PM by Hirudin »

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 12:17 AM »
I have a local installation of Firefox set as default. When my portable version is running, new links are opened in it, otherwise the local installations opens.

Ehtyar.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 09:02 AM »
The new icon looks gorgeous, except the 16x16 version, which looks quite funny ;D

Some pages perform much better, namely Yahoo! Mail and many of Google services, except GMail, which seems as fast as always. Even Facebook seems to work faster, although the real test will be using Facebook Chat and see if it still brings the computer to a halt like before. In the other hand, the comment system in /. keeps freezing the browser. Oh well.

Also, it may be my computer, or DropMyRights not playing nice with Firefox, but a cold start is significantly slower than with 3.0. And when I say, "significantly slower" I mean it. A warm start is much faster than before, though.

I'm eager to see sites taking advantage of the new core features, especially <audio> and <video> support, even if the standard is not completely finished. Bye, bye Flash, I won't miss you :-P

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 09:30 AM »
Also, it may be my computer, or DropMyRights not playing nice with Firefox, but a cold start is significantly slower than with 3.0. And when I say, "significantly slower" I mean it. A warm start is much faster than before, though.
Oh, say it isn't so!  :(  I've been hating how slow a cold start is in version 3.0.  Opera is so much faster!  The thought that FF may be even slower to start from scratch in version 3.5 may be enough to keep me from upgrading for as long as possible.  I guess I won't know until I try, but I won't try for a while yet, until it's likely that the extensions I care about will work.  Sometimes I hate progress!

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 03:46 PM »
I can't see any of the major online services switching to HTML 5 any time soon. The standard is still far from being approved, and indeed the video/audio formats supported by Firefox are not set in stone either. They'd not be supported in IE for some time, and I've no doubt Adobe will be peddling Flash like some retarded monkey over the next few years.

Ehtyar.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2009, 05:53 PM »
I can't see any of the major online services switching to HTML 5 any time soon. The standard is still far from being approved, and indeed the video/audio formats supported by Firefox are not set in stone either. They'd not be supported in IE for some time, and I've no doubt Adobe will be peddling Flash like some retarded monkey over the next few years.

Ehtyar.

I think E-man hit the nail right on the head.

Simple fact is: IE is not going to go away. And neither is Silverlight. Or Bing...

And since so many business and financial sites are designed primarily for IE (no matter how popular Fox, Opera, or Chrome may be getting), until HTML5 gets full support from Microsoft, it's not going to be the actual standard. No matter what people want to believe.

The only thing that might take Microsoft out of the loop would be if Win7 fell flat on its face coming out of the starting gate, and everybody bought Macs or switched to Linux.

And there's not enough booze or drugs in the world to convince me that's what's going to happen come October 2009. ;D

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2009, 06:14 AM »
HAH! Priceless Hertz Man :Thmbsup:

Ehtyar.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2009, 10:46 AM »
Personally, I'd most likely settle for everything moving from Flash to Silverlight. It seems to be much lighter on resources than Flash.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2009, 10:49 AM »
I guess I won't know until I try, but I won't try for a while yet, until it's likely that the extensions I care about will work.  Sometimes I hate progress!
-cyberdiva

Manually check yourself for updates to your extensions. There have been a ton of silent updates on http://addons.mozilla.org where the ability to work with 3.5 has been added, but the version number was not bumped so the Addons auto-update won't catch them.

Also check authors' web sites. There were two extensions I use that had been updated to work with 3.5, but they weren't on http://addons.mozilla.org and auto-update wasn't catching them, either.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2009, 11:50 AM »
Weird as it may seem, sometimes the newest version of an addon won't work with Minefield, but often when I back off to the previous version and use Mr Tech Toolkit to override the version check, they work fine.  Go figure!   :wallbash:

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2009, 03:58 PM »
Manually check yourself for updates to your extensions. There have been a ton of silent updates on http://addons.mozilla.org where the ability to work with 3.5 has been added, but the version number was not bumped so the Addons auto-update won't catch them.

Also check authors' web sites. There were two extensions I use that had been updated to work with 3.5, but they weren't on http://addons.mozilla.org and auto-update wasn't catching them, either.
I took your advice, Innuendo, and checked manually.  I found that just about every extension I use can work with 3.5, so I went ahead and upgraded.  However, Firefox 3.5 claims that a bunch of them WON'T work, and so it disabled them!  I don't know what to do now.  I really want those extensions.  Can you or anyone else tell me what I have to do to get the extensions to work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2009, 04:09 PM »
cyberdiva: this will do.

Ehtyar.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2009, 04:45 PM »
Thanks VERY much, Ehtyar!  Of course, after I posted my message, I began to realize that I hadn't completely followed Innuendo's advice.  Once I did that, I got most of the extensions to work, and then, of course, I felt foolish for having posted my panicked message  :-[ .  Oh well, it isn't the first time, and it probably won't be the last  ;D .  Anyway, there still are a few problematic extensions that are supposed to work with 3.5, and I'll try to deal with them via your about:config suggestion.  That should prove useful in the future as well.

Again, many thanks!!

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2009, 01:54 PM »
I don't like to force extensions to work because while sometimes there's no reason why they shouldn't work with a new version of Firefox sometimes there is and browser instability will result.

Which extensions are you having problems with? We may be able to point you in the direction of extensions that do the same thing that will work with 3.5.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2009, 05:03 PM »
Thanks very much, Innuendo, for your kind offer to help.  I'm happy to report, however, that once I followed your instructions, including going to the developers' websites, I got almost all the extensions to work.  The only one not resolved is Scrapbook.  If I decide I want to continue to use it, I'll switch to Scrapbook+, which apparently does work with 3.5.

Again, my apologies for my panicky earlier note, and many thanks for your very helpful suggestions.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2009, 12:39 AM »
Whoa! All 54 extensions (a lot of them not officially compatible) are working just fine with 3.5!  :-*  I am so exciiiite!!

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2009, 10:20 AM »
Again, my apologies for my panicky earlier note, and many thanks for your very helpful suggestions.
-cyberdiva

You're very welcome & I'm glad we got you sorted. I hope v3.5 ends up being worth all the trouble (and panick) you went through to upgrade.