ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 3.5 [FINAL]

<< < (8/10) > >>

40hz:
I can't see any of the major online services switching to HTML 5 any time soon. The standard is still far from being approved, and indeed the video/audio formats supported by Firefox are not set in stone either. They'd not be supported in IE for some time, and I've no doubt Adobe will be peddling Flash like some retarded monkey over the next few years.

Ehtyar.
-Ehtyar (July 01, 2009, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think E-man hit the nail right on the head.

Simple fact is: IE is not going to go away. And neither is Silverlight. Or Bing...

And since so many business and financial sites are designed primarily for IE (no matter how popular Fox, Opera, or Chrome may be getting), until HTML5 gets full support from Microsoft, it's not going to be the actual standard. No matter what people want to believe.

The only thing that might take Microsoft out of the loop would be if Win7 fell flat on its face coming out of the starting gate, and everybody bought Macs or switched to Linux.

And there's not enough booze or drugs in the world to convince me that's what's going to happen come October 2009. ;D

Ehtyar:
HAH! Priceless Hertz Man :Thmbsup:

Ehtyar.

Innuendo:
Personally, I'd most likely settle for everything moving from Flash to Silverlight. It seems to be much lighter on resources than Flash.

Innuendo:
I guess I won't know until I try, but I won't try for a while yet, until it's likely that the extensions I care about will work.  Sometimes I hate progress!-cyberdiva
--- End quote ---

Manually check yourself for updates to your extensions. There have been a ton of silent updates on http://addons.mozilla.org where the ability to work with 3.5 has been added, but the version number was not bumped so the Addons auto-update won't catch them.

Also check authors' web sites. There were two extensions I use that had been updated to work with 3.5, but they weren't on http://addons.mozilla.org and auto-update wasn't catching them, either.

MilesAhead:
Weird as it may seem, sometimes the newest version of an addon won't work with Minefield, but often when I back off to the previous version and use Mr Tech Toolkit to override the version check, they work fine.  Go figure!   :wallbash:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version