topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What printer?  (Read 30000 times)

HankFriedman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • A computer nerd whose also a psychic & astrologer
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Hank Friedman's Website
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: What printer?
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2008, 11:26 AM »
I am still using my old HP laserjet 4 for all of my B&W work, and it performs like a champ. If you have a lot of B&W printing, you can get an HP 4 or 5 refurbished and it will outlast any monochrome laser printer made today.

On the color front, I initially purchased HP inkjets because my HP LaserJet was so excellent. But much to my chagrin, HP inkjet after HP inkjet failed miserably after about a year's usage. (And I was buying expensive inkjets, not low-end ones).

I finally moved to Canon printers, and am amazed at the quality and durability they have. I'm presently using a Pixma iP 5000 and wouldn't hesitate for a second to get another Canon if this one ever dies!

(By the way, in reliability surveys by pcmags for several years now, Canon printers have consistently come out on top.)

wyrwolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • It is what it is.
    • View Profile
    • banner page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2008, 04:11 PM »
From what I've been observing, these days it comes down to the cost of consumables.
If you're prepared to break a new printer in regularly, you pretty much can't beat buying a clearance bargain printer every time your ink runs out, real PITA, tho. (I used to buy my cars like that, heh)
Other than that, the ones that have impressed me most are the solid ink printers from Xerox, which are probably the future of printers. However, my printing needs are not yet at the point where I have put my money where my mouth is.
It is what it is.

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 04:30 PM »
Memories...
My first printer was an HP monochrome inkjet that was built like a '54 Chevy; all steel and bolts! Used to refill those cartridges about 10 times before they gave up the ghost. I stuck with HP printers for years, until I finally got so disgusted that I drop kicked the last two into the street. Not really, but I did ewaste 'em; they drank too much ink to give to any poor friends. I've used an Epson 1280 for graphic work for about 4 years. Still love it. Got a Pixmia iP 4500 I really like now and less'n $100!
Btw, IMHO there's absolutely no good reason to put a print head in an ink cartridge. You're paying for a lot of expensive tech that gets trashed,
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 05:56 PM »
we ended up plumping for the aforementioned Canon (MP610)

at $200 it was double what we paid for the HP, but it's been worth it because it works as expected (no crashes, no random reinstalls, no constant calls home...)

so far the quality has been (in my admittedly limited experience) excellent - it's fast and quiet, and, well, it just works!! (take that HP!!)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 09:23 PM »
Glad to see you're happy. Let's hope you remain so!

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 09:41 PM »
you and me both  ;)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2014, 01:13 PM »
For the folks that do occasional printing**, like myself, I would suggest looking at Walmart's HP 1010.  No bells or whistles.  Just a regular (8.5 x 11) wired printer.
**IMO what's the point of being part of the Digital Age if I print stuff out?  Seems silly to me.
I would have to say this was my least expensive computer plug-in ever.  :)   My only other price comparison was Amazon and theirs is more.  As of today.

Back when I bought my previous printer there were no combos.  So I still have/use a separate scanner and don't need a copier or fax.
I was more or less forced to upgrade to this HP Deskjet when I switched to Vista because it gave my other printer the cold-shoulder.   :huh:

I believe I'm better off though 'cause this one's about 5" smaller, lighter, prints faster and the ink is cheaper.