topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Getting Error=5 Access denied when launching a result from FARR  (Read 5685 times)

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi DC,

mouser insist that i have to post about what happened to me today, after updating to the latest FARR Version.

After the update i can't launch any result from the result window, getting an error dialog window instead that tell me, that "doclauncher.exe" in the FARR directory can't be started and that an error #5 (Access denied) occured.

After a bit of research i found out, that my firewall Zonealarm suddenly blocked the access from FARR to this doclauncher.exe. And that even all worked perfectly before the update and i dont changed any setting in ZoneAlarm.

To solve the problem, i have deleted ALL entries (i got a lot of them) in the Zonealarm program control list. After doing that and using FARR again the first time, i get the usual "Ask for permission" dialog from Zonealarm. I checked "Remember this" and clicked "Allow" and all was back to normal again. I could start all kinds of results (Documents/Files and Executables) again without any hassle.

I dont know why this had happened with this update, as i updated FARR a lot in the past time. Maybe it's only a problem on my single computer, but in the case someone other run into this problem also, you now know what can be the reason and what maybe can help to solve it.

CU all
JoTo
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 06:40 AM by JoTo »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Getting Error=5 Access denied when launching a result from FARR
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 07:12 AM »
As Zonealarm is supposed to check internet traffic, did you launch dcupdater using doclauncher to get the latest update? Maybe zonealarm supected doclauncher because it launched a program that accessed the internet.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 07:31 AM »
mouser may have updated the 'quickdoclauncher.exe' in the newer beta versions. then ZA compared the new file with the old one in its 'allow list' and raised a flag since they're different. however i don't use ZA anymore so this is just my guess. :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 08:26 AM »
what happened to me today
-JoTo

And thank you for taking the trouble to post!

That Mouser, he's a rascal  ;)

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 09:57 AM »
Hi all,

yes, of course ZA will check. But normally it asks again if it finds a new app or a new version of an older app. That don't take place here.

And my first thought was also that doclauncher is blocked, but it wasn't the doclauncher, it was the FARR exe that was blocked.

Blocking new FARR without asking was, what makes me scratching my head.  :)

Thanks to all that give their suggestions, and yes cranoscopical, mouser can be very convincing, can't he?  ;D ;D ;D

Gteetings
JoTo