topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: send a stickey note to another Windows account/desktop  (Read 5983 times)

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
I know that as a general rule of Windows usage, I should not use the Administrator account for daily usage.
So I use my personal account, as well as my wife uses her own.

It would be a neat idea, say for example the following scenario:
I'm logged into my personal account. I need to download/install some application, or perform some task which is disabled in my stripped user account.
This little app would need to be installed on all accounts I suppose!?
So I launch this neat little application that posts something like a postit/stickey note to the Administrator Desktop: DON'T FORGET TO INSTALL 'XYZ'.
The next time I logon using the Admin Account, I am presented with the postit/stickey note which was posted with the other account.
It would be even better, if this same little application could send messages to other accounts. For example, to my wifes desktop/account: HUNNY, I TOOK YOUR CAR KEYS TO WASH YOUR CAR. I LEFT THE COFFEE POT ON!

:)

I know there are plenty of postit/stickey notes around, but I don't know about the above feature.
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: send a stickey note to another Windows account/desktop
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 10:17 PM »
You could make an additional toobar on the taskbar of each account, to act as a "mailblox", and use a folder that is accesible to all users, and save a text file to the folder.

One can be notes for you...the other notes for your wife. You can save things to her folder and she will see it on her taskbar when she logs in.

You can save notes to yourself to your folder and you will see them when you are logged in.

She could also save notes to that folder.

This is how I did it when I shared a pc with my daughter.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 10:32 PM »
Use an IM program that will pop up messages you received while you were offline.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 10:42 PM »
you can also use the 'Shared Documents' folder. create a shortcut to the folder in the startup so that it opens every time you boot the PC.

ws-shared-docs-1.png

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 02:27 AM »
The next time I logon using the Admin Account, I am presented with the postit/stickey note which was posted with the other account.

Just write yourself an email? That's what I do.

It would be even better, if this same little application could send messages to other accounts. For example, to my wifes desktop/account: HUNNY, I TOOK YOUR CAR KEYS TO WASH YOUR CAR. I LEFT THE COFFEE POT ON

Use psexec with this little compiled AHK script. The idea I got here (https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=14245.0) can be used for many things.

psexec \\{Computername} -u {username} -p {password} -d -c -v -i message.exe "{message}"

Example:
psexec.exe \\pcn06 -u Michi -p michi -d -c -v -i Message.exe "HUNNY, I TOOK YOUR CAR KEYS TO WASH YOUR CAR. I LEFT THE COFFEE POT ON"

Enclose message in quotes (""). The message box is always on top and can't be missed.

message.exe is attached to this post

Get psexec here:
http://technet.micro...ernals/bb897553.aspx

Spoiler
AHK source of message.exe
#NoTrayIcon
if 1 <>
msgbox,4160,Remote Message,%1%

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:31 AM by wr975 »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 04:46 PM »
You can use Stickies for that, IIRC, it has a network protocol that is designed specifically for those situations.