topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 8:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Large Text File Viewer  (Read 47061 times)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Large Text File Viewer
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 05:20 AM »
Maybe I am missing something, but what (apart from log files that aren't really managed) would ever be in such a large text file?  I mean that is larger that our entire library if it is only text data! :tellme:

If it is for logs, maybe it is just me, but shouldn't they get cut off at certain points regularly anyway?  Say every month, or every day, or whatever?  That way you can organize them if you need to keep them that long?  I realize I may just be being naive, but I really do want to know since so many people make a big deal about this capability.

Inquiring minds.... ;D

jezemine

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 12:16 PM »
I have to deal with huge text files in my job - generally they are all bulk import files generated by bcp.exe.  this is a program for bulk import/export data to/from SQL Server (or Sybase, originally). 

The other day I had to export 1.8 billion rows from one server to another, resulting in a text file 180gb in size. 

It's very convenient to use LTFV to open up such files to quickly verify the datatype of each column in the file.  :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 12:39 PM »
I use V

http://www.fileviewer.com/

Another +1 for V.  

And mainframe imports are teh suck.  I just had to open one that was 1.7GB(?!?) in size.  Thankfully, V opens in chunks of 8MB at a time :)