topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Yahoo? A very different Yahoo  (Read 4319 times)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yahoo? A very different Yahoo
« on: July 25, 2008, 06:28 PM »
http://www.barrysbestblog.com/

http://www.zimbra.co...roducts/desktop.html

Giving google quite the competition imo.
Especially if the storage is unlimited like yahoo mail.
I'm still investigating it myself....

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Yahoo? A very different Yahoo
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 06:45 PM »
An article at ars technica on this yesterday http://arstechnica.c...op-office-suite.html

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 06:50 PM »
My ISP provides 10 Yahoo Plus accounts (under the ISP domain) and their email is access driectly via the Yahoo interface.

Yahoo may have unlimited storage but my experience is that their software is very buggy (the new web interface has been under development for years and still isn't complete). Every time I tired the new web inteface I was back with the classic version within a day as there are just so many things that don't work well and if you want to use the Options setting most of them chuck you back to the classic interface and then gets confused when you try to return to your inbox.

The built in filtering is very poor and their junk mail system is appallingly bad - in fact it is probably more efficient to turn it off and do a manual spam check as there are so many missed spam messages and so many false positives it is considerably harder work using their filter!

Their servers are good when they work (and they frequently have issues - especially if you want to use the POP interface) and recently they updated their policies on how you can use your accounts which are now much more restrictive - esp. when it comes to POP and SMTP access with alternate email addresses.

I never tried Zimbra but my experience with other Yahoo software is so bad I won't be bothering.

I have now moved to Google Mail which is much more robust and flexible and have had none of the issues I had with Yahoo.

The only thing Yahoo got right is the facility for throwaway addresses - I have posted about that in another thread.

[Edit ... the article Grorgy posted has just confirmed my suspicions about bugs and oddities]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 06:53 PM by Carol Haynes »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 06:59 PM »
No I don't like the yahoo beta, if that's what it's still called.
I prefer the basic and still use yahoo mail.
As well as Gmail with it's flawless Gmaildrive...so far...

And Yahoo's Briefcase account has never failed me yet.

Of course that don't mean nothing much.
Except worthy of a look and taste I think.