topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows Quirk  (Read 4657 times)

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows Quirk
« on: November 04, 2005, 02:54 AM »
Quick question.. you know how you can use the keyboard to quickly select any item by typing its first letter in just about any situation (explorer - all folders, save dialogs, desktop, lists etc.)? Of course you do. We're at DonationCoder.com, after all. Now, what has bugged me for YEARS about this "feature" is the delay. Like all of us, I like to get things done fast when working in Windows, and sometimes I'm just typing away letters quickly.. but the delay of this feature forces me to stop and wait for at least 2 or 3 seconds. Sure, that doesn't sound like a long time.. but when you're trying to select something and then this delay forces you to stop and wait, it's extremely annoying.

Does anyone know if there is a tweak for this that would allow me to turn this delay off completely? Thanks!

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows Quirk
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 03:18 AM »
I know you can scroll through desktop items with the arrow keys and select an item by the first letter ,personally i don't do it that much but just tried it to see if my responses where delayed that much,they're not :huh:
My selections are instant,zero wait,nada.I'm no expert but i don't think this would have to do with memory,graphics card,etc.Anything hardware shouldn't be causing this in other words.But there should not be a delay.Are you sure you don't have something running in the background like a mouse driver or keyboard driver you install from a cdrom
that came from a recent purchase of a Mouse or keyboard?

Sorry i responded to your question with a question,but i do believe their shouldn't be a delay.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 03:35 AM »
Don't get me wrong. There is no delay when I first select something. It's instantaneous. I think the delay happens once you hit a letter that is NOT represented by any item in the place you're at. If I had a folder with files called

ABC.txt
BAC.txt
CAB.txt

I could cycle through those files instantaneously by hitting "a", "b" and "c". However, once I had any other letter than a, b or c AND THEN REATTEMPT the "letter selection" thing THEN I have a delay. It's hard to explain :/

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 07:09 AM »
I could cycle through those files instantaneously by hitting "a", "b" and "c". However, once I had any other letter than a, b or c AND THEN REATTEMPT the "letter selection" thing THEN I have a delay. It's hard to explain :/
Thanks for adding that, now I understand :)

Since I used Windows Find a lot and now use Locate (read https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1385.0 ) I don't run into this tiny annoyance that often, never really thought about it much...