topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Liquid Story Binder (2.91) on GiveAwayOfTheDay  (Read 8613 times)

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Liquid Story Binder (2.91) on GiveAwayOfTheDay
« on: July 18, 2008, 02:10 AM »
Nearly 24 hours still left.

Good prog for those who have a use for it (though no drag and drop).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 02:12 AM by Dormouse »

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
Re: Liquid Story Binder (2.91) on GiveAwayOfTheDay
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 11:13 AM »
14 hours left...

Homepage: http://www.blackobelisksoftware.com/
GAOTD: http://www.giveawayo...story-binder-xe-291/

I am not sure whether to mention this or not, but it seems to me that the wrapper system used by GAOTD is easily circumvented, since it unpacks the contents to a TEMPorary location. Keeping a local copy of the unpacked file would allow re-installation of the application in the future.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 11:21 AM by Ampa »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 11:22 AM »
good ratings too, on each offering. :up:

ws-liquidstory-gaotd-1.png

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 04:46 PM »
14 hours left...

Homepage: http://www.blackobelisksoftware.com/
GAOTD: http://www.giveawayo...story-binder-xe-291/

I am not sure whether to mention this or not, but it seems to me that the wrapper system used by GAOTD is easily circumvented, since it unpacks the contents to a TEMPorary location. Keeping a local copy of the unpacked file would allow re-installation of the application in the future.

On this specific offer it doesn't really matter. They give you the registration key in the readme.txt file, and this key works just fine with the updated 2.92 version of Liquid Story Binder downloaded from the official website :)
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:15 AM »
- yes, it is so,
you simply have to be awake if Liquid Story ever comes at Giveawayoftheday again:

Hi Dorene,

Despite their disclaimer, your GAOTD registration key is good for all future versions of Liquid Story Binder XE.

Jesse Wall
Black Obelisk Software

--- In [email protected], "d mariekleba" <dmariekleba@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Jesse,,,
>
> I downloaded your excellent program from GAOTD and have a question.
> do I qualify to get the upgrades...some of the posts here have lead me to
> believe that I would...but according to GAOTD I will not...can you clarify
> this..?
>
> I am so excited about this program and now can really see myself getting my
> book written.
>
> Thanks,
> Dorene
-Jesse Wall, author & owner of Liquid Story

I wish I knew back then!
Well, my money is certainly not wasted, but I too would like to save some money once in a while...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:18 AM by Curt »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 12:17 AM »
I almost passed on it, but then went back and grabbed it with about 5 minutes left.  (Doing that more and more lately - Someone stop me!!)

However after looking around in it for a while, I got way too dizzy and had to close it.  Figured I was just tired.  Tried it again a day or two later - still makes me dizzy!  Seriously, though:  I don't know that I will ever even give this application a decent try.  It is extremely disorganized.  Not in how it can assist on organizing a book, but in its own workflow itself.  Many separate windows open and they cannot be docked or hidden away without closing them.  The screenshot I poached from the BlackObelisk web site (below) gives the impression that the windows all open nice and orderly. In reality they open up in varying sizes and all over the place!  In their screenshots someone has apparently taken the time to resize all the windows and line them up neatly.

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

I'm not the most organized person - and that is an understatement - but I just have difficulty working with windows opened all over, trying to jump around from one to another. (Guess that's where the "dizzy" part comes in.

I'll stick with The Journal for my writing for now.   :)

Jim
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 12:19 AM by J-Mac »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 03:37 PM »
New tutorials for Liquid Story Binder

Black Obelisk Software is proud to announce the release of several new Liquid Story Binder XE Tutorials.

Three Basic Steps
Planning, Writing, and Building -- the three keys to Liquid Story Binder XE. This tutorial expands the `Quick Start Guide' tutorial with usage examples and full-sized screenshots.

Associations
Learn how to create and access like-named files quickly.

Project Goals
View word count totals, set target dates, calculate goals.

Terminology
Building, Associations, Statusbars.

Please view the new and updated tutorials here...

http://www.blackobel...e.com/tutorials.html

Jesse Wall
Black Obelisk Software

http://www.blackobelisksoftware.com

The program is constantly updated, and is now at version 3.11

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 12:02 PM »
I gave this a try two years ago. When I saw it on GAOTD I did what J-Mac did, passed then went back and downloaded it. Like all (writing) programs it has its strengths and weaknesses. What it always comes down to is my personal likes and dislikes. In Liquid Story Binder I like the Timeline. I like being able to enter notes right into the body of the book by simply typing in two consecutive periods and then entering whatever comment I want to make. The note text appears in a different font and color so it's easily distinguishable from the rest of the text and it's ignored when printing or using the word count. Another thing I appreciate is the Automatic Revisions Marker. The Repetition Visualizer is a great tool and there is a Word Usage tool that "allows you to view individual word instances sorted alphabetically." 

I could make a great long list of nice features Liquid Story Binder offers. I can also say it's a bit disorienting and there are many parts I do not yet understand and some that I find useless or redundant. There are also a few little glitches. However, I believe that the program was intended to be highly versatile so it would be useful to everyone, regardless of how they work.  If that is the case, Black Oblelisk has hit the mark.

I use PowerWriter for any serious writing and will continue to do so. I wouldn't (right now) trade it for anything, but I am finding more and more use for Liquid Story Binder as an adjunct and I've only had it a few weeks. The company is enthusiastic about their product and constantly making improvements  so, even though the GAOTD time limit has passed, if you do any writing and have the opportunity to get it at a good price, grab it. Just be prepared to give it a fair trial. 

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 01:38 PM »
Well, currently most of my writing is in my own personal journals plus the occasional article for a blog or an online publication here and there.  Liquid Story Binder is simply too much for that type of writing, IMO.  However if I were authoring a book it would probably be great.  But it would definitely take some time to get to know it well enough!

Jim