topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: YourFonts - Generate a font based on your handwriting  (Read 84264 times)

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: YourFonts - Generate a font based on your handwriting
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2008, 03:11 PM »
Well do give it another try, as it should now be possible to name the font the way you like.
I got an error but I'm not sure what it might be related to. It popped up sometime after the recognition process started, with less than 40 seconds remaining. All it said was that it was an Uncaught Exception, which could be anything. I'm guessing it may be related to the second template page, since I tried that this time round.

I did notice that the scanned page had less white space than the first one did, so maybe it's that they weren't scanned with identical framing? If you have any specific questions about non-public info relating to the scans or filenames, feel free to PM me. I know you've got the PNG files on the server, but I'll save 'em here as well for another test run.

But do keep in mind Windows might be confused if you name your font '@@' or ''''.
I might get confused too if I do that.  ;)

Great! Do give FontCreator a try and let me know if you like it!
I'm off to download it now. Scanahand sounds interesting too! Guess it uses the same basic engine as YourFonts, huh?
My Linguistic Profile:
  40% General American English
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 03:59 PM by Cavalcader »

erwind

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.high-logic.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2008, 05:05 PM »
I got an error but I'm not sure what it might be related to.

It was due to a typo on my side, sorry  :-[

But do keep in mind Windows might be confused if you name your font '@@' or ''''.
I might get confused too if I do that.  ;)

There are people that will be curious enough to give it a try, I'm sure ;-) Maybe I'll try it myself...

Great! Do give FontCreator a try and let me know if you like it!
I'm off to download it now. Scanahand sounds interesting too! Guess it uses the same basic engine as YourFonts, huh?

That's correct, it all started with Scanahand. And now Scanahand is getting improved due to all response I received during the beta of yourfonts.com. I'm surprised how much valuable information is has given me. So thanks again for testing!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic YourFonts

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2008, 08:31 PM »
I got an error but I'm not sure what it might be related to.
It was due to a typo on my side, sorry  :-[
No problem -- those things happen. I think you've got it nailed, at least for normal operation! The only thing I noticed is that while there are links at the bottom of each "step" page to supplement the ones in the column on the right, there's no such link at the bottom of step 6 to take you to the step 7 instructions (Install & Use). A minor point, but it may leave some people stuck if they're only using the page-bottom links.

That's correct, it all started with Scanahand. And now Scanahand is getting improved due to all response I received during the beta of yourfonts.com. I'm surprised how much valuable information is has given me. So thanks again for testing!
Glad to help! Thank you, too, for the nice new font. :)  Now that everything works while I'm being nice to the site, shall I try to break it for a little while by feeding it silly or incorrect stuff? I know that's normally done in testing, but I still thought I should ask first so you're prepared for nonstandard input.
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

erwind

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2008, 03:31 AM »
No problem -- those things happen. I think you've got it nailed, at least for normal operation! The only thing I noticed is that while there are links at the bottom of each "step" page to supplement the ones in the column on the right, there's no such link at the bottom of step 6 to take you to the step 7 instructions (Install & Use). A minor point, but it may leave some people stuck if they're only using the page-bottom links.

Good point! I've added the missing link to step 7. Thanks!

Glad to help! Thank you, too, for the nice new font. :)  Now that everything works while I'm being nice to the site, shall I try to break it for a little while by feeding it silly or incorrect stuff? I know that's normally done in testing, but I still thought I should ask first so you're prepared for nonstandard input.

Sure do give it a shot. I'm about to remove "BETA" from the logo, so now is the best time to make sure it's stable and robust ;-)
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic YourFonts

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2008, 01:29 PM »
Erwin, if the recognition process fails or crashes, does that mean everything's shut down until it can be reset? I tried a test and I just ended up sitting at the "~40 seconds" part of the process. After that, even ones that worked before failed silently also after uploading. I did try the website in another window (tab) and it stayed responsive for everything else.
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

erwind

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2008, 03:09 PM »
Erwin, if the recognition process fails or crashes, does that mean everything's shut down until it can be reset? I tried a test and I just ended up sitting at the "~40 seconds" part of the process. After that, even ones that worked before failed silently also after uploading. I did try the website in another window (tab) and it stayed responsive for everything else.

I've seen this happening as well. Most likely your web server has cached an old version of one (or more) of the JavaScript files. A forced refresh (CTRL-F5) while on the upload page should do the trick. FYI the server has processed all request. Do let me know the name of the file, font, or copyright text and I'll be able to give you more details, or even send you the generated font file.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic YourFonts

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2008, 04:25 PM »
Most likely your web server has cached an old version of one (or more) of the JavaScript files.
I don't have a web server -- do you mean a browser? ;)  (I don't use a proxy server, FWIW.) All ctrl-F5 gets me is the textfields to start an upload from scratch. This is with Firefox 2, but that's what I've been using all along with success. I even cleared the browser cache, but as I'm typing this I've still been on the 40-second stage for about 10 minutes now. (Edit: looks like something is up with FF's cache -- I'll play with it some more locally.)

When I switched to IE7, it worked flawlessly. YourFonts seems bulletproof with IE, even with irregular/nonstandard input. Here's a sample -- looks like a great way to make dingbat fonts too!
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 04:44 PM by Cavalcader »

erwind

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2008, 05:25 PM »
Most likely your web server has cached an old version of one (or more) of the JavaScript files.
I don't have a web server -- do you mean a browser? ;)

Yes, I meant Web browser ;D

All ctrl-F5 gets me is the textfields to start an upload from scratch. This is with Firefox 2, but that's what I've been using all along with success. I even cleared the browser cache, but as I'm typing this I've still been on the 40-second stage for about 10 minutes now.

I have FireFox 3, so I'm not able to test the site with FF2 right now. But I do know the site has processed all requests, so your browser is waiting for something that will never happen :huh:

When I switched to IE7, it worked flawlessly. YourFonts seems bulletproof with IE, even with irregular input.

That's good to know!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic YourFonts

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2008, 05:35 PM »
I have FireFox 3, so I'm not able to test the site with FF2 right now. But I do know the site has processed all requests, so your browser is waiting for something that will never happen :huh:
I'm about to upgrade to FF3 as well. I've been holding out hoping for specific extensions to be updated, but FF3 fixes enough FF2 quirks that I'm not going to wait any more. Best wishes for your new web service! I'll be telling friends about it. :)
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2008, 12:12 AM »
For those with a Tablet PC, there's apparently a free software from microsoft to do the same thing. I haven't tried it, but it might be a decent alternative...

My Font Tool http://office.micros...rigin=HA011408961033 converts your handwriting into a TrueType font, making typed text appear written by hand.

i got it from the blog http://bhandler.spac...910C9F7F3!1231.entry
"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me

erwind

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2008, 03:02 AM »
For those with a Tablet PC, there's apparently a free software from microsoft to do the same thing. I haven't tried it, but it might be a decent alternative...
I haven't tried it either, but I've seen some fonts generated with it. It looks like it does the same thing, but the quality of the generated fonts is by far not the same.

You can find a font made with "My Font Tool" from here:
http://blog.tabletpc.../tablet-pc-software/

Then do generate a font with yourfonts.com and open both fonts in FontCreator to see the differences. You'll see it when you open a couple of glyphs in point mode...
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic YourFonts

erwind

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2008, 03:00 PM »
The bad news: the beta period is over, so the coupon is no longer valid.

The good news: I've turned yourfonts.com into a free online font generation service. This way a lot of people get the chance to make their own personal fonts. At least people who have a computer, printer and scanner and know how to use a pen. Maybe a couple of them decide to further improve their fonts with FontCreator.

If you happen to know someone who would love to make a font based on his or her handwriting, do let them know. Thanks!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic YourFonts

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2008, 06:25 AM »
Cool! What made you change your mind and make it free?
"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me

erwind

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2008, 08:52 AM »
I never was sure about making it a paid or free service. I might turn it into a paid service in a year or two, but I'm not sure yet. If it proofs to be a nice way to get people into making their own fonts (read: people buying FontCreator) then I might leave it free. I'm in no hurry and giving away things for free doesn't make me feel bad.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic YourFonts

erwind

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2008, 03:50 PM »
You can now preview your generated font with custom text, thus even before downloading and installing the font, you know that it looks great (or not).

yourfontscustomtext.gif

This will be the last enhancement for a while. Enjoy!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic YourFonts

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2008, 04:23 PM »
You can now preview your generated font with custom text, thus even before downloading and installing the font, you know that it looks great (or not).
Nice job!
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

olepete

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2008, 09:22 PM »
Your Fonts should yield 'My Font' but where is it? It's taken a while for me to master posting on the forum, hence the delay in this.
In June I purchased my font with PayPal. Every thing went well until I tried to download. I was not returned to the download page after making payment and have not been able to find a way around this. Emails to customer service at High Logic were probably not received as no reply came. Surely there must be a way to retrieve my font over which I am assured I have copywright.  :(

erwind

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2008, 02:56 AM »
I did respond to your emails, probably ended up in your SPAM box. The font you generated is not as good as you might hope, as it seems you accidentally placed the filled-in template into the scanner, upside-down. Also the top and bottom are cut off. Both these issues should be resolved to get a good working font.

You live just a little too far away from me to personally give you your font, but I'll send you another message in a minute :)
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic YourFonts

saugata

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2008, 04:54 AM »
Hi Erwin,
Even after my repeated enquiries you never mentioned or suggested regarding your font. So now I repeat my question for your font too. Is there any sdk or api for utilising or availing the services of yourfont.com?
Regards
Saugata

erwind

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2008, 04:03 AM »
No, we don't have exactly what you need, although it might come close.

A week ago I already told you we can develop such sdk. You then told me it costs more than you are willing to pay, so I suggest you just place a link on your site to our service.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic YourFonts

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2008, 11:34 PM »
I went by the website again today, hoping to repair my last attempt at a handwritten font (first page of this topic). This time around I got a little nervous because I didn't see the BETA text anywhere, but it did say on the site that it is now Free, so I went ahead and did it.

As bad as my handwriting is, it'll take me a few tries to get it looking half decent on a computer screen, but it shows how YourFonts is able to process just about any form of handwriting... legible or not.

erwind

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2008, 02:54 AM »
Your handwriting seems to look better than mine  :)
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic YourFonts

erwind

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2009, 09:48 AM »
Just a short message to say today (January 23) it's National Handwriting Day  :-*

So grab a pen and go make your own handwriting font.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic YourFonts

Coeluh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Family Guy ^^
    • View Profile
    • Jeroen Coelen
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2009, 03:34 AM »
Just a short message to say today (January 23) it's National Handwriting Day  :-*

So grab a pen and go make your own handwriting font.
Why do I have to pay now :(?

erwind

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2009, 05:16 AM »
Because it is no longer free.

We started asking a fee at the end of April.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic YourFonts