topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 8:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Aliases - at a loss with them  (Read 3838 times)

Smith-Corona

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Aliases - at a loss with them
« on: July 10, 2008, 02:16 PM »
hi,

I'm really enjoying and getting a lot out of FARR but when it comes to aliases I am completely at a loss. I feel there's bound to be something really simple I'm missing which hopefully someone can draw my attention to ...   Here's what I want to do:

1. have an alias I can add things to, along the lines of the mygames example, as a kind of handy container for groups of frequently used files.

2. have aliases for certain frequently used directories, so I can narrow the search down to them straightaway. Eg I often know that the file I'm looking for is somewhere in the tangle of directories underneath My Documents, so I want FARR to start there and not bother looking anywhere else. So I would have an alias "md" say, whose "result" would be the My Documents folder and would save me the bother of typing out c:\documents and settings\etc\etc every time. then I could just type "md obscurefile.txt" for something I knew was somewhere in My Documents.

However having created these aliases, all that happens when I type them is that FARR searches for that string, ie for sth corresponding to "md", "mygames" etc, in the normal fashion. It doesn't seem to be treating them as commands at all.

The aliases that are already present work fine, eg run calc starts the calculator etc.

Any guidance on how I make this work?

macs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Aliases - at a loss with them
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 05:51 PM »
If I understand what you want then you need the following

have an alias I can add things to, along the lines of the mygames example, as a kind of handy container for groups of frequently used files.
-Smith-Corona (July 10, 2008, 02:16 PM)

1. Create an alias of say "myfiles"
2. Set the results to be the list of files you want. For example:

g:\rubbish\tax2.xls
z:\photolist.txt
p:\isorecorder.txt

You should now get the list of files when you enter "myfiles" just press enter for the one you want.

have aliases for certain frequently used directories, so I can narrow the search down to them straightaway. Eg I often know that the file I'm looking for is somewhere in the tangle of directories underneath My Documents, so I want FARR to start there and not bother looking anywhere else. So I would have an alias "md" say, whose "result" would be the My Documents folder and would save me the bother of typing out c:\documents and settings\etc\etc every time. then I could just type "md obscurefile.txt" for something I knew was somewhere in My Documents.
-Smith-Corona (July 10, 2008, 02:16 PM)

I'm not sure this needs an alias. I think the way to get this to work is as follows:

1. Add a new search folder
2. Set the directory path to be "C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\My Documents"
3. Set a keyword modifier of "md"

To use it type something like "+md obscurefile.txt" or "obscurefile.txt +md" and it should work

Smith-Corona

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Aliases - at a loss with them
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 07:13 AM »
thanks, works perfectly! I think my problem was somehow I thought you could set an alias to a folder... also the fact that I hadn't really looked at shortcuts.

In terms of terminology, I think maybe in the "Edit Search Folder" box, "Shortcut" would be clearer than "Optional modifier keywords".