topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 1:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: incremental vs differential  (Read 6500 times)

momonan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
incremental vs differential
« on: November 02, 2005, 04:25 AM »
 I have a new computer and have done my first monthly full-system backup using Acronis.  I want to do another backup now, before I install some additional programs.

a.  is it better to do "incremental" or "differential"?  What's really the difference?

b.  why should it take over an hour to do an incremental backup?  This will be a real disincentive to doing it.  Somehow, I got the notion I could do a quick incremental backup before installing a new program.  Is there another way to do this that doesn't take so long? 

When you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning - Catherine Aird

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: incremental vs differential
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 04:54 AM »
Both methods use a similar principle ...

Start with a base backup, which can take a long time to do.

This is a snapshot of your partitions at that time - just like a single standalone backup - which is what it is.

Over time your files change:

Differential Backup -> Backup changes in a new file since the base was made. Each time you do a differential it replaces the previous differential backup. This means you can restore your system back to as it was at the time of the last differential or the original base. Obviously the differential chunk will grow over time, and there will come a point when a fresh base is required.

Incremental Backup -> Backup changes since last backup. This is stored in an extra file, one each time you do a backup. These are usually quite small if you do them regularly and quite quick. Advantage is that you can restore your system to any of the times you did an incremental or base backup, not just the last one. Disadvantage is that it takes up more disk space than differential and you may need to do base backups more often to save running out of space.

It shouldn't take over an hour to do an incremental backup, and anyway you can continue to use your system while it does it. I do find the Acronis time estimates a bit hit and miss - my last backup initially said it would take 30 hours, after a while it settled down to 9 hours, and actually took about 3!

The really time consuming part is if you do a backup verify after each backup ... unfortunately Acronis have not realised that to verify an incremental backup you should only check the increment, not the whole thing. I have requested this a s a feature, but it hasn't appeared yet. PowerQuest V2i Protector (now sadly gone in to the giant dustbin called Symmantec) was great at this - a verified increment took about 5 minutes to build and verify, unfortunately it had a couple of bugs in its ability to create increments, and would occasionally decide it couldn't do it any more and start a whole new base backup - which defeated the object!

Note also that if you defrag your system regularly this will really bump up the size of your differential and incremental backups, as they are not stored on a file by file basis, but rather on disc sector by sector - so a defrag really has an effect on the backup size since it always compares to the base backup.

momonan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 05:04 AM »
Thank you, CarolHaynes.  Your response is, as usual, complete and oh-so-helpful.  I'll take your advice.
When you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning - Catherine Aird

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 05:14 AM »
just a reminder that i advocated in the backup review to use drive imaging to do full backups each time (once per month), and use a separate program to do incremental (keep all versions) backups of just your main personal documents (once a week/day).

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 05:23 AM »
Can I ask why 'a seperate program' ??

To me one of the advantages of a program like Acronis is that th initial (monthly if you like) snapshot is fully recoverable, as are individual increments?

I haven't tried it yet, but I think with Acronis you can offload your images to DVD (to clear space) but still produce increments (even though the base isn't present). I may be wrong though ...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 05:34 AM »
well i basically went over my motivation in the review i think:
https://www.donation...ckUpGuide/index.html

bottom line argument goes something like this:
  • full drive backups are extremely important
  • incremental versioned backups of your personal documents are extermely important

a drive backup tool just cannot do as good a job at incremental versioned backups as a dedicated tool for this; its clumsy at search and recovery, and personally i wouldn't trust it with so many different versions of files after months of daily incremental backups.

a file backup tool is not good at doing full drive backups; to use it for this would take much longer than a dedicated tool like acronis, and result in a bigger set of files without good support for recovery.

different tasks, different programs are better for each.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 05:35 AM »
also,
a main point is that there are only a small set of files you want constant incremental backups of; by restricted that set you can run incremental backups very quickly.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 07:18 AM »
True ... quite right ... I wasn't thinking (and I didn't take time out to look at the review)