topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dcupdater problems - v1.23.01?  (Read 20209 times)

owenduffy

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dcupdater problems - v1.23.01?
« on: June 30, 2008, 08:42 PM »

Mouser,

If/when you get to do some revisions to dcUpdater:

Version dates do not display sometimes in the main dcUpdater window... seems sensitive to date and I think probably an internationalisation issue (I use dd/mm/yyyy format).

Right clicking an entry and selecting recheck version does not seem to capture the installation of an update in the current dcUpdater instance.

It would be nice if dcUpdater was launched by a specific .dcupdate file, that it could do a version check using the default list, and a right click option to add a .dcupdate file to the defaults if it isn't already there.

Owen

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dcupdater problems - v1.23.01?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 09:37 AM »
Thanks for the report owen -- you are definitely right about the version dates issue.. I should have fixed that a while ago and i will fix it this month for sure, early this month preferably.

I'm not completely sure i understand the other two issues.  Could you elaborate?

owenduffy

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 04:52 PM »
I'm not completely sure i understand the other two issues.  Could you elaborate?

(2) Right clicking an entry and selecting recheck version does not seem to capture the installation of an update in the current dcUpdater instance.

Here is the scenario: I run dcUpdater and it tells me one package needs update. I select the option to update it, and it runs properly so the package is now up to date. If I now right click and select the 're-check version available on the web', it shows the currently installed version just the same as prior to performing the update. It seems that it might literally recheck the web version... but wouldn't it be sensible to also re-read the installed version data?

(3) It would be nice if when dcUpdater was launched by a specific .dcupdate file, that it could do a version check using the default list, and a right click option to add a .dcupdate file to the defaults if it isn't already there.

If I launch MyApp.dcupdate, dcUpdater starts and shows the details for MyApp, and only MyApp. It would be nice if there was a menu option to 'Check All' meaning to scan the default 'list' ($APPDATA\DonationCoder\DcUpdater\RedirectFiles) used by dcUpdater when it is started with no command line arguments.

The second part of (3) is that if a line item displayed is not in the default 'list' ($APPDATA\DonationCoder\DcUpdater\RedirectFiles), to add a right click option that allows the user to 'install' the MyApp to $APPDATA\DonationCoder\DcUpdater\RedirectFiles.

Does that make sense?

Owen

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 07:41 PM »
ok for #2 i understand, and yes i will fix it, thats a good point.

ok #3a, yes i agree, in fact i was planning to have a checkbox shown or something so you could easily toggle between showall and show just the one.  it's also confusing to people to see only a subset of their things sometimes.

as for #3b let me think about it.. i think that the updater is assuming that if the dcupdate file is not in its default list, it means its being run for a non-installed temporary download, and so shouldnt be added to the default list.. i'm trying to think of cases where you would have a permanent .dcupdate file that you wanted added, that didnt have a proper way to add itself.

owenduffy

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 07:54 PM »
G'day Mouser,

as for #3b let me think about it.. i think that the updater is assuming that if the dcupdate file is not in its default list, it means its being run for a non-installed temporary download, and so shouldnt be added to the default list.. i'm trying to think of cases where you would have a permanent .dcupdate file that you wanted added, that didnt have a proper way to add itself.

I think the cases where it would be handy is for apps that don't properly install themselves. Some people still distribute apps that don't have an installer... but then I guess they wouldn't be trying to use dcUpdater.

BTW, I have put a menu option in my apps that launches the app's .dcupdate file, so the user can start dcUpdate on the specific app file alone.

Anyway... sounds good, look forward to the release!

Owen

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 08:00 PM »
I think the cases where it would be handy is for apps that don't properly install themselves. Some people still distribute apps that don't have an installer... but then I guess they wouldn't be trying to use dcUpdater. BTW, I have put a menu option in my apps that launches the app's .dcupdate file, so the user can start dcUpdate on the specific app file alone.

absolutely people could use dcupdater for programs that dont have an installer, that's a fair point actually.  but typically such programs will have a menu item or something that says to check for updates, and invoke the dcuhelper.exe to launch the .dcupdate file to check for updates.  And the dcuhelper.exe has an option that tells it to register the .dcupdate file in the default check list. See: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=9607.0

however you might have a point about making it something that could be done manually from the updater tool.

owenduffy

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 05:57 PM »
Mouser,

If/when you get to do some revisions to dcUpdater:

Version dates do not display sometimes in the main dcUpdater window... seems sensitive to date and I think probably an internationalisation issue (I use dd/mm/yyyy format).

Mouser, it seems this continues to be an unresolved issue a couple of years later.

Owen

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 06:02 PM »
i remember it but could you show me a screenshot of how it looks for you?

owenduffy

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 06:33 PM »
i remember it but could you show me a screenshot of how it looks for you?

My recollection is that the problem is deeper than just display, that date processing needs to be reviewed to see that where appropriate, localisation is performed.

Owen
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:37 PM by owenduffy »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 06:40 PM »
i dont see any problem in that screenshot.. it may have been only certain plugins or other programs that displayed unusually? anyone have a screenshot of where it's wrong? 

owenduffy

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 06:50 PM »
i dont see any problem in that screenshot.. it may have been only certain plugins or other programs that displayed unusually? anyone have a screenshot of where it's wrong?  

Again, I am depending on memory, and it may be wrong, but my recollection after investigating the thing was that the blank date display is because the date appears to be invalid (eg month>12) due to localisation problems.

Do you have another explanation for the blanks in the date column?

I have just edited the dcupdate.xml file for fsm in the attachment to day from 2 to 20 and it causes a blank date display. The date in the XML file displayed below is 2 July 2010.

Owen
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:57 PM by owenduffy »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 06:53 PM »
ahhh i didnt even notice the blanks.  ok, i'm on it.

owenduffy

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 06:58 PM »
ahhh i didnt even notice the blanks.  ok, i'm on it.

See my updated previous posting for more info... Owen

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 07:16 PM »
owen, can you try this version (it's just a new exe so replace existing one with this one):
https://www.donation.../beta/DcUppdater.zip

owenduffy

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 07:22 PM »
owen, can you try this version (it's just a new exe so replace existing one with this one):
https://www.donation.../beta/DcUppdater.zip

That resolves the date display issue, I can change the day in the XML to 20, and both display correctly.

Owen

PS: I might mention that when I right click the entry, the drop down list shows the date in mm/dd/yyyy format.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 07:23 PM »
great, thanks

owenduffy

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 07:55 PM »
great, thanks

Did you see my further update? When I right click the entry, the drop down list shows the date in mm/dd/yyyy format. That is obviously not urgent, but a sign of inconsistent localisation.

Owen