topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Does anyone know a solution to prevent the opening of useless links????  (Read 15388 times)

Thomas_Young

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi everyone, I am the manager of a placement consultancy and have to spend a lot of time online looking for potential information. This consumes a lot of time, but the most time is wasted when I open certain links and find that they are of not any use to me. Because of this, I would have to wait for the window to only find that the information for me is useless. I am looking an answer that can help to minimize the work-load.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
you know this is a simple but good idea..

there are firefox plugins that will give you *previews* of sites just by hovering over a link, which would help avoid having to visit sites only to discover they are worthless,

BUT:
are there plugins that use some crowd or expert wisdom to basically put scores next to links based on the judged quality of the links (judged by experts, heuristics, or crowd voting, etc.)

Now that's a nice idea for a FireFox plugin.

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
Without loading the page, you wouldn't know what it was about, hence you wouldn't know if it was useless or not. One solution is to read the page description in the search results. Another is to start searching in a higher quality resouce such as a web directory instead of a search engine for better results. Snap provides a way to preview each link before clicking it, but some users also find it annoying.

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
you know this is a simple but good idea..

are there plugins that use some crowd or expert wisdom to basically put scores next to links based on the judged quality of the links (judged by experts, heuristics, or crowd voting, etc.)

Now that's a nice idea for a FireFox plugin.

There's a FF plugin called SeoQuake that can sort results by more than just pagerank. Increases page load time though.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Without loading the page, you wouldn't know what it was about, hence you wouldn't know if it was useless or not.

not quite true..
if you were willing to place trust in other users you could have a community that ranked links on pages, and fetched those ranks from a central online repository, and then showed numerical scores next to each link on a page.  it's a cool idea.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I personally do not trust page ranking stuff anymore because they can be spoofed. They also track your browsing habit which could be called invasion of privacy. There is dmoz.org maybe plugin can match the results to dmoz.org listings as well.

Without loading the page, you wouldn't know what it was about, hence you wouldn't know if it was useless or not.

not quite true..
if you were willing to place trust in other users you could have a community that ranked links on pages, and fetched those ranks from a central online repository, and then showed numerical scores next to each link on a page.  it's a cool idea.

MarcusColeman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I believe that you have a problem with the opening of multiple windows. You do not want to open all the links that a page ahs but you would also not like to miss the important ones. I think that the solution to your problem can be <INSERT SPAM LINK HERE> that can help you to view the contents of a page that has alternate links without taking the trouble of opening a new web page for them. This will certainly reduce your work load as you will be saving your time and efforts which will reduce your physical and mental exertion and help you to do more work and hence minimize the work load. You can easily download this free software from <INSERT SPAM LINK HERE> .
All the best!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 05:55 PM by jgpaiva »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well.. The original requester and the person who replied didn't return after their first post and the question was perfectly adjusted to the answer.
Still, the text isn't anywhere else on the web. So... I'm thinking.. Is it really spam? Still, it's kinda dumb to spam a free product on DC, a decent post about it would get it much more attention...

I'd vote: no reply from either of them to this post on the following days = remove the thread.
(really sorry if this isn't spam, but we've got to be on the lookout  :-[)

[edit] Or maybe i'm just paranoid :) [/edit]

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
jgpaiva: This appears to be the same spam as the thread earlier about link openings. The same one you locked.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Josh thank you very much!
Here's the other spam, on another forum. I'll remove the links in the above spam reply. Mouser: please chime in or delete the thread.