topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Nero - WHY?  (Read 28863 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Nero - WHY?
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 12:38 PM »
Blank media is so darned finicky!  About 3 years ago, recommendations on CDFreaks.com and VideoHelp.com were that Ritek disks (DVD+/-R/W) were great, with hardly any failed burns.  I bought a bunch and was burning away happily.  Then a year later I was suddenly burning DVD coaster after DVD coaster with the same Ritek models.  Checked again at those sites and posted there, asking for suggestions as to why I suddenly could not burn successfully anymore.  Everyone posted back "You're using Ritek media, and you have to ask?!?!?"  Huh?!  :o

I mentioned what I had read there and most posted back that that had been a whole year ago and the media manaufacturing market changes quickly. Grr...  So then Taiyo Yuden disks were de rigeur.  Bought some of those and had mixed results.  Read more and discovered that - IF I did not have counterfeit disks - that the country of origin of the disks were a big factor.  Huh again!?!? :huh: :o >:(

Seemed that TY's made in Taiwan were OK but made in Japan were not - or possibly vice versa - I honestly can't remember which factories were supposedly creating good media and which were not.  Of course by then I was pretty much drooling all over everything and mumbling incoherently.

But lately if you check those sites the better Verbatim media (read: DataLifePlus and their Archival quality disks) seem to be consistently getting very high marks.  Kind of expensive, but no coasters yet with them.  :)

Jim

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 09:45 PM »
Can't remember the name from the tool anymore, but I know there was one that could find out from which factory your burnable came, even which production line. Normally there is a number written on the burnable that gives away all this kind of information. 

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 10:16 PM »
A couple of useful links:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

But keep in mind that the media code can be faked - taiyo-yuden has been quite a victim of this. Rumor has it you should be home free if your shipment smells like peaches.
- carpe noctem

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 12:17 PM »
Rumor has it you should be home free if your shipment smells like peaches.
-f0dder
Interesting tip!

Unfortunately, I don't know the Geldof's that well...