I saw that thread and thought this was different because the freezes last so much longer than 5 seconds (about 4 minutes on the last one I timed). My .ini file is only 10KB too, but I'll gladly test out the fix when it's ready!
One more observation. After I disabled ThreatFire, FARR began cranking on the disk. I hadn't brought it up or launched any apps but it ran for about 30-45 seconds full speed on the disk, then stopped. After that, even with ThreatFire enabled, I haven't gotten the hang again. I did notice a very slight delay on closing (I'm assuming it was the sixth time and the .ini file was being backed up).
My theory is that ThreatFire was keeping FARR from doing some background processing, but I could be way off.
Thanks for the quick reply.