topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The LiveCD List  (Read 11081 times)

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The LiveCD List
« on: June 14, 2008, 09:20 AM »
A comprehensive list of LiveCDs + download links. Click on pic to go there.

2008-06-14_221918.jpg

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The LiveCD List
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 10:13 AM »
I especially like the filter there :)

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 05:29 AM »
You realise most of the computing population don't know of any of them? and almost all of them can be really useful in the right place....

Excellent find.

I didn't see EBCD there, but its probably changed its name. Good repair/ diagnostic cd with the ability to wipe xp passwords if the administrator forgets (or is a school teacher wanting to block access)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 10:57 AM »
thanks for the post.  for those who don't know what a live cd is:

From wikipedia:
A Live CD or LiveCD or CD Live Distro is a computer operating system that is executed upon boot, without installation to a hard disk drive. Typically, the LiveDistro is named after the bootable medium it is stored on, such as a CD-ROM or DVD (Live CD/DVD) or a USB flash drive (Live USB).

The term "live" derives from the fact that these "distros", or software distributions, each contain a complete, functioning and operational operating system on the distribution medium. A LiveDistro does not alter the operating system or files already installed on the computer hard drive unless instructed to do so.

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 05:50 AM »
I was more thinking along the lines of most people know Windows, and probably Mac, and some have heard of Linux,
But I was looking at all the various different live OSs (although most of them are just different flavours of Linux) and thinking "so many options...but I don't know anyone else who would know anything about any of them and they would all look at me like.."huh?"'"

Who wants to start a thread on all the OSs they have used/tried out and a brief opinion.
Saw something about Plan 9 somewhere, which looked cute enough to try out :) Only, I haven't the time or spare computer. But, again.... how many people have even heard of it??   

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 06:08 AM »
Wow, now that's a really cool, really useful list — thanks Phil! The filter is great. This is the one thing I wish new versions of Windows had, but that may never happen because it is proprietary. Besides, if you're using Windows, you're usually "all in" as the saying goes.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 09:07 PM »
Just noticed: Xubuntu is not featured on the list! Ubuntu and Kubuntu are there, but not Xubuntu.

Ubuntu: GNOME
Kubuntu: KDE
Xubuntu: Xfce

No one seems to notice Xubuntu. Kind of sad, Xfce is nice and lightweight, and good for older PCs - you would think it would be more noticed/popular. *Sigh* :(

-Brandon (Xubuntu user)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 10:29 PM »
Just noticed: Xubuntu is not featured on the list! Ubuntu and Kubuntu are there, but not Xubuntu.

Ubuntu: GNOME
Kubuntu: KDE
Xubuntu: Xfce

No one seems to notice Xubuntu. Kind of sad, Xfce is nice and lightweight, and good for older PCs - you would think it would be more noticed/popular. *Sigh* :(

-Brandon (Xubuntu user)
-wreckedcarzz (July 12, 2008, 09:07 PM)

It works great on newer machines too  ;).  Seriously, I just prefer the Xfce interface over the other two.  Not for lightweight, or performance, or anything; I just find it works better for me.