topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Warning - AVG 8 problems with install/uninstall/upgrade  (Read 26372 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just spent a couple of hours trying to sort out a computer for a client/friend after he upgraded from AVG 7.5 Free to AVG 8 Free.

Not sure what caused the problems (he also has ZoneAlarm Free version installed and I suspect there may be a compatability issue there) but AVG 8 Free did attempt to uninstall the older version and install the new version. Trouble was it completely killed his internet connection.

What is worse is that AVG 8 refused to uninstall fully. The uninstaller ran and said it had completed but each network device in the device manager had an AVG miniport device installed with AVG 8 and it didn't uninstall them properly. Manually removing them was not possible as the device manager said they were required to allow the system to boot properly.

The only way I could get a running system going again was to use System Restore to restore back to the point where AVG 8 was installed. The problem now was that AVG7.5 was also partially restored in a half uninstalled/damaged state and the uninstaller wouldn't run because it was damaged. Add to that I couldn't find AVG7.5 as a download anywhere - even though many sites said they had it they actually had version 8.01 instead.

I was just considering backing up and attempting a manual uninstall of the remaider of AVG7.5 (not something I relished without some instructions) when I luckily remembered I still had an old copy of 7.5 on my own hard disk so I ran the installer and used the uninstall option to remove the old version completely.

All in all an expensive nightmare for my friend who really hadn't got a clue how to sort out a system that was left in a total mess - and there was no apparent help or support for this situation on the AVG website.

My advice would be to avoid AVG 8 Free like the plague - especially if you are using security apps from other developers. If you do want to try AVG 8 then unistall AVG 7.5 first and make sure you either have a backup image (or at least System Restore running) at the ready for retreat if there is a problem.

I installed AVAST for him which seems to work fine (though you do have to disable one feature because of an issue with Zone Alarm - it is described during installation but not in language that will make sense to the average user).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 07:34 AM by Carol Haynes »

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Warning - AVG 8 problems with install/uninstall/upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:02 AM »
Claus Valca's post Taming AVG Free version 8 covers many issues about AVG 8. Make sure to read the comments as well. And a follow up post Simple thoughts on AVG Free v8 that's worth reading.

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 09:50 AM »
I had no problem upgrading to AVG 8.0 free  from 7.5 free on two XP computers and one Vista computer.  I also run Zone alarm on all three.

When the install asked about the tool bar I said NO.  It does take forever to scan.
Lew

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 10:17 AM »
I'm not saying it isn't potentially a good product - just beware that the installation process and the uninstallation process are not exactly consistent if you run into problems. Also note that my friend does not appear to be an isolated case having connectivity problems given some of the problems quoted in the second article in PhilB66's post.

PCMag isn't hugely impressed either (with the Pro version), giving is an overall rating of 'Fair' (50%), and says that on a number of test machines there was a "significant manual cleanup on instruction from tech support" needed to get the Pro version to work properly. See http://www.pcmag.com...,1759,2277377,00.asp

If you do a google search on "Problems AVG 8 Free" you will find a lot of common problems cropping up - lost connectivity being one of them.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 10:20 AM by Carol Haynes »

cchian

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 10:25 AM »
You can find current and older versions of lots of applications (including AVG) here http://www.filehippo.com/

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 12:17 PM »
You can find current and older versions of lots of applications (including AVG) here http://www.filehippo.com/

Kinda moot point, because an older version of anti-virus software without updated signature files is not that useful at all. Besides that, I find it a very good habit to always keep the installation files of any software that deserved it's place onto my computer.

As I had to install the latest version from AVG on a friend''s computer as well...and seeing how it has become...from "servant"-mode (does its work behind the scenes) to "fully armored bodyguard"-mode (affecting practically everything you do)...I quickly ran to look at the options from the competitors of AVG.

Avira AntiVir http://www.free-av.com is what replaced AVG on my system. Avast! didn't make it because of its interface...it does the same as the interface from AVG 8, both really stupify the end user.

Ah well, maybe ClamWin http://www.clamwin.com should be on my system.It is open source and has the least obtrusive interface of them all  :)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 12:40 PM »

I looked there and they only seem to have version 8.

Trouble is a lot of these 'repository' sites are obliged to update the files available to the latest builds - even when they don't update the description page.

At the end of the day I didn't need version 7.5 to actually have AV protection but to get round the broken uninstaller problem.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 12:42 PM »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 12:47 PM »
Well that is interesting - how did you find it? It didn't come up in the search on Filehippo?

Edit ... Oh OK I see you have to go to version 8 to find version 7.5 - fair enough but not the most obvious.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 12:48 PM »
Going to the normal AVG 8 entry and clicking the second entry in the sidebar at the right, that was the latest AVG 7 released. And well, you also get it if you search for "AVG 7.5"

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 07:00 PM »
Should've looked @ OldVersion  ;)

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

terrawarra

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 12:37 AM »
I installed AVG 8 without bothering too much about the fime print regarding the "dreaded" AVG Toolbar that everyone seems to be having problems with.  I haven't had any worries at all simply because I use "Seamonkey" as my default browser,.. it comes from the same Mozilla stable as Firefox and uses the same engine but without all the frills and unecessary crap that that bloats Firefox so much.  Firefox was slow before the AVG Toolbar but now it has become almost unpleasant to use for many of you.  Do yourself a favour and give Seamonkey a try,.. you won't be sorry.  Because I use Seamonkey, AVG doesn't intrude and therefore isn't a problem.