topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: LibriVox: Free Audiobooks  (Read 10644 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
LibriVox: Free Audiobooks
« on: May 13, 2008, 07:20 PM »
If you love audiobooks, or never had time to read all the old classics, or just want to discover some hidden gems, this might be just the thing for you:

LibriVox volunteers record chapters of books in the public domain and release the audio files back onto the net. Our goal is to make all public domain books available as free audio books.

All of the recordings are all released back into the public domain, so you can share them, burn them, give them as gifts...even sell them if you want. There are no restrictions on what you are allowed to do with them.

ChalkTrauma

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • ::41554D::
    • View Profile
    • DreamCycle Studios
    • Donate to Member
Re: LibriVox: Free Audiobooks
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 02:15 PM »
I listen to a lot of librivox stuff and other audio books from Archive.org

Listen to free audio books and poetry recordings! This library of audio books and poetry features digital recordings and MP3's from the Naropa Poetics Audio Archive, LibriVox, Project Gutenberg, Maria Lectrix, and Internet Archive users.

The MindWebs radio programs are good too .. Vincent Price's Three Skeleton Key is one of my favs  :Thmbsup:
'Behold! It is not over unknown seas but back over well-known years that your quest must go; back to the bright strange things of infancy and the quick sun-drenched glimpses of magic that old scenes brought to wide young eyes.'

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 02:43 PM »
what i think is particularly cool and unique is how they have volunteers reading and submitting their recordings -- and how you can even choose from different narrators for different chapters of the same book.  that is damn cool.. bound to take you back to childhood when your mother (or father) would read to you.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 03:09 PM »
bound to take you back to childhood when your mother (or father) would read to you.
My parents always read me tales of children who ran away from home, usually to very far off places -- can't think why they did that.  ;)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 03:24 PM »
Wow this is cool!

All these books are from way before my time. Does anyone have any recommendations of some good science fiction?

EDIT: I just found a couple of the Mars books by Edgar Rice Burroughs. My mom kept telling me I should read those from her library, but I never did, so I guess that's what I'll start with. :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 03:28 PM by Deozaan »

ChalkTrauma

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • ::41554D::
    • View Profile
    • DreamCycle Studios
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 03:30 PM »
If you are looking for classics.. I'm a big H.G. Wells fan.. The text is a bit dated.. but that gives is a real steampunk feel.. "First Men in the Moon"
'Behold! It is not over unknown seas but back over well-known years that your quest must go; back to the bright strange things of infancy and the quick sun-drenched glimpses of magic that old scenes brought to wide young eyes.'

thomthowolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Bad software makes me tired
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 02:32 PM »
WOW, really cool find app, thanks for sharing it. :Thmbsup: :up: :Thmbsup: :up:
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin