topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 12:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Evernote Beta & Evernote free at Giveawayoftheday today  (Read 7659 times)

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Evernote Beta & Evernote free at Giveawayoftheday today
« on: March 21, 2008, 03:13 AM »
"Evernote Beta"
http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

"In addition, Evernote is giving away a full version of Evernote 2.2 for Windows (Main Download / Mirror 1 - 56.1 MB), normally $49.95"
http://www.giveawayo...y.com/evernote-beta/

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Evernote Beta & Evernote free at Giveawayoftheday today
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 03:23 AM »
a fantastic deal! :Thmbsup: too bad, i'm on dial-up right now..

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 04:37 AM »
The beta offer is even more fantastic than I first realized:

Everyone, please note that we are giving away three Evernote clients - for Windows, Mac, and Windows Mobile.
Also, you may want to take a look at Getting Started (http://www.evernote....eta/getting_started/) and take a tour at http://www.evernote.com/about/beta/tour/.

#6 asked> "Will the software become disabled once the retail version comes out?"
No, it won’t become disabled. You’ll be able to auto-update to later beta versions and to “final” releases. Note that starting with this new version all Evernote clients (Windows/Mac/Windows Mobile) work with Evernote service. You’ll be able to keep using the account you create during beta. It will just get better and better…
-Dmitri from GiveAwayOfTheDay

:Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 04:41 AM »
re the beta, have a look at this and following posts from the EverNote beta 2.2.0.372 has some nice new features thread

It seems to be moving towards an online database where you might not even be able to backup to local disk  :down:
Nothing "wrong" with that but if you're coming from the current version you very possibly wont be happy with new developments in beta and plans for the programme
Tom

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 07:46 AM »
I was going to post about this, glad someone else started the conversation.

I've been using EverNote 2 for most of a year, having replaced Surfulater with it. The usability and polish of the current version is quite impressive, and I've grown quite accustomed to using it for transporting my notes between home and work via a flash drive.

While I've only given this beta a cursory glance, I must say that I'm underwhelmed.

The biggest problem is that the flash drive sync model seems to be gone. While it's possible to have a local-only database, the only way (that I can see) to sync data between two systems is via their online service. I hate this model.
  • We're limited by their availability - if they're down, or the net between here and there is down, then no service
  • We're limited by their security - not that I specifically mistrust them, not that I'm hiding anything important, but I have a strong philosophical aversion to this. I will not under any circumstances trust anything business critical to such a model.
  • We're subject to gov't snooping - with our current environment of warrantless wiretaps and other intrusions, you must consider anything held by a service provider an open book to the government. I'm not hiding anything incriminating, but my personal life should be my personal life. And while it's no more of a risk than being struck by lightning, I do believe that misuse and fabrication of such data by law enforcement does occur.
  • Bandwidth - I seem to be in a small minority these days, and it's particularly odd being in the most densely populated state of America, but I can't get a data service with more than 128Kbps upload capacity. This limits the extent that I can use the network for exchanging any serious data.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 07:48 AM by CWuestefeld »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 09:39 AM »
CWuestefeld : I agree with all you said. They're loosing me as a customer. End of the story -- unless they change their plans. 

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 09:44 AM »
Guys, I honestly don't understand all the fuss here. From what I see, you have the option of keeping your database local to your PC or to have it local and online? You choose. If you choose not to synch online then you have the same functionality of ver 2 (except portable sync, I haven't tried that but I notice in a post above that it is gone)

You can also break your notebook up into separate notebooks and upload some but not others. The way I see it, this gives me lots more options. I understand privacy issues, but as I said, you don't have to synch online. Personally, I like having my data available anywhere there is an internet connection.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 10:31 AM »
If you choose not to synch online then you have the same functionality of ver 2 (except portable sync, I haven't tried that but I notice in a post above that it is gone)

My main usage model is synchronization via flash drive between home and work. If I don't want to or can't use the online option, then I simply can't use my normal workflow anymore. End of story.

Let me also point out that they will afoul of people who genuinely don't care, but are constrained by SarbOx, HIPAA, or other regulations such that they can't entrust the data to anyone.

I think they're making a major marketing blunder. The people interested in their software will hate the online model. Their application is outside the normal sphere of computer usage (word, excel, email, web browsing, maybe some photo viewing and the like), and likely to be used by power users. This is especially true of those that might be interesting in any kind of synchronization capability. My mom couldn't even describe what that means; only sophisticated users will look at it. But I believe (without any real evidence) that such users are most likely to object to the online model that they seem to be moving towards. Certainly here on DC, made up of people who are much more interested in note-taking software and synchronization, the opinions voiced have been overwhelmingly against the online model.