topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to search for folders by size?  (Read 5809 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How to search for folders by size?
« on: February 15, 2008, 06:46 PM »
Most search programs allow you to search with a criteria based on file sizes.  but I haven't found any to search and find folders based on the folder sizes, which would be really useful.  For one thing, it would be nice to find all the empty folders.  But also, you can search for all folders that have a size less than 5 MB or something like that.  I'm really having a hard time finding this, and I've looked on all my file managers, and they can't do it (DOpus, Total Commander, XYplorer).

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to search for folders by size?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 07:06 PM »
I can't find any programs, but Skrommel's DelEmpty from this site does the trick in a roundabout way.  It allows me to pick a directory, and it will give me a list of all the subdirectories and their sizes.  So, while I can's use a criterea, the information is there at least.  Very nice, skrommel!

But, file managers like DOpus should definitely be able to do searches based on folder sizes.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 12:46 AM by CleverCat »

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 01:17 AM »
... I'm really having a hard time finding this, and I've looked on all my file managers, and they can't do it (DOpus, Total Commander, XYplorer).
That was true yesterday. Today I'll upload (in Beta Club) a version of XYplorer that can do it. :)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 06:29 AM »
jv16 PowerTools can do this as well

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 07:43 AM »
Apparently Avafind can do this (or something similar?) as well. Was just reading about it after following Nosh's link to it from the "My favorite software!What's yours?" thread...

PS Great work, Don  :Thmbsup:

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 09:36 AM »
Ava Find does show folder sizes and it'll sort on size too. The only snag is there's no easy way to specify a location to search, any filter you set will apply to all future searches too! But, it's instantaneous and depending upon the situation could be the fastest solution.

Finding empty folders is quite straightforward in - it'll let you search for folders with a filter for content=0.
I can specify byte sizes in  the content field but that doesn't seem to work like it should and I don't get any results.

It's fairly simple if you break the task up though. Search for all folders under the target location --> enable showing sizes for folders found --> search these results for specific size (min,max,range). I have a feeling if you break the task up similarly it should be possible with most good file managers.

Props to Don for his attitude!  :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 06:11 PM »
... I'm really having a hard time finding this, and I've looked on all my file managers, and they can't do it (DOpus, Total Commander, XYplorer).
That was true yesterday. Today I'll upload (in Beta Club) a version of XYplorer that can do it. :)
Very cool!  Thanks so much.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 10:50 PM »
 ;D DonL is amazing.