topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Problem with Windows XP x64 Edition  (Read 7322 times)

darklight_tr

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Problem with Windows XP x64 Edition
« on: October 16, 2005, 03:54 PM »
I know that this operating system isn't widely used, but I decided to report this problem anyway.

Find&Run Robot v1.07.21 is unable to run many links that point to the system32 directory.  There seems to be some sort of problem that prevents programs from seeing many of the system32 files and folders.  I use a Windows Explorer replacement program (FileQuest) and I am unable to see over 5,000 files and 45 folders in the system32 folder using that program.  If I use anything related to explorer.exe (My Computer, Windows Explorer, Start Menu, etc.) I am able to see all of the files and folders in the system32 directory.

Here is an example of the problem that I experience:

I use Find&Run Robot to run Disk Defragmenter.  Instead of running Disk Defragmenter, the Event Viewer opens.  I double check that I used the correct link in the Start Menu and I discover that the link points to C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventvwr.msc.  I change the Disk Defragmenter link back to C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc and try again.  Again, the Event Viewer opens instead of the Disk Defragmenter.  I check on the Disk Defragmenter link again and discover that the pointer has been reset to C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventvwr.msc.  I reset the link back to C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc.  I use the Start Menu to manually click on the Disk Defragmenter and it opens correctly.  FileQuest is unable to see dfrg.msc in the system32 folder, but can see eventvwr.msc.

I have rebuilt my computer from scratch in an attempt to fix this problem, to no avail.

I don't know if this is something you can fix because you may or may not have access to this operating system.  If it is something that you cannot fix, I understand.

Thank you for your time.

EDIT:  I have full administrative rights to my machine, so rights don't appear to be the problem.  I reset the rights on the system32 folder just in case, and it didn't help.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 05:29 PM by darklight_tr »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Problem with Windows XP x64 Edition
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 04:22 PM »
very interesting -
i'm hoping someone with some experience with this issue might be able to help.  it seems to me we should be able to fix this, just a matter of finding a trick or two.  maybe there is some way to give F+R special permissions? or run it as admin permissions?  i think this is definitely worth following up on, and if anyone has any hints, i'd like to follow up on this and make sure it works - it may come in handy with windows vista.

darklight_tr

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 05:28 PM »
mouser,

I forgot to add that I have full administrative rights to my system.  I tried resetting the rights to the system32 folder before I rebuilt my computer to see if it would help.  Unfortunately, it didn't.  I have edited my original post to reflect this.

I have no idea what is causing this problem.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 05:32 PM by darklight_tr »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 05:47 PM »
you mentioned that a file explorer replacement also cant access certain files, can you see if that includes the disk defragmenter that caused the problem with find+run?

the changing of shortcuts is, needless to say, not something that F+R is doing, but windows sometimes will change a shortcut when it cant find the target so it sounds like that is the cause.. but why is the real question..

darklight_tr

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 12:05 AM »
The file explorer replacement (FileQuest) doesn't even see the Disk Defragmenter (dfrg.msc) when you look in the system32 folder.  C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc doesn't even exist according to the file explorer replacement.  When you use My Computer or Windows Explorer, dfrg.msc shows in the system32 folder.

Here is a comparison of what each program sees when I view the properties on the system32 folder:

FileQuest - system32 folder

1,734 Files, 122 Folders
Size: 326 MB (342,163,400 bytes)
Size on disk: 329 MB (345,300,992 bytes)

My Computer - system32 folder

6,348 Files, 168 Folders
Size: 1.37 GB (1,472,393,964 bytes)
Size on disk: 1.06 GB (1,139,531,452 bytes)

As you can see, FileQuest doesn't see over 5,000 Files and over 45 Folders.  I am positive that F+R is suffering from the same "blindness".

I believe that Windows is changing the shortcut from dfrg.msc (which it can't find) to eventvwr.msc when F+R is used to start the Disk Defragmenter, because it believes that eventvwr.msc is a close enough match.

The strange thing about the problem is that this behavior only applies to external programs referencing these links.  If you use the Start Menu directly as I said, Disk Defragmenter starts just fine.

I hope that does a better job of explaining the issue.  F+R isn't the only program that is experiencing this problem, i'm afraid.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 04:12 AM »
we will get this solved, i think it's important.

one thing i'd like to know is if another "launcher" type app would suffer from this too?

if anyone finds a web page describing why this happens i'd love to take a look.

darklight_tr

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 10:11 AM »
I was thinking some more about this issue and I am wondering if it has something to do with the fact that FileQuest and F+R are 32bit programs.  Most of the files in the system32 folder are 64bit.

Maybe there is some connection?