topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: How much email do you keep…and why?  (Read 28718 times)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How much email do you keep…and why?
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 06:04 PM »
So I’m a little curious to hear why people keep all the email they do, how frequently they actually search or otherwise access archived email, and how they decide what to keep. For those that may have business reasons for keeping email, do they ever have concerns that they’ve kept too much (i.e., stuff that would turn up during a “discovery” process in litigation?)

As far as personal email goes, of course I delete spam, other than that though most stuff get kept.  My philosophy has evolved to agree with Jim Gray's (http://research.microsoft.com/~Gray/) - never delete anything:

http://www.research....rprise%20Exabyte.ppt

Obviously I don't follow this literally.  Things which are completely of no consequence get deleted if I think about it or some folder or something gets cluttered enough that I decide to throw out such things.

For business use, this may not be the best policy (due to document retention policies, etc.).  Actually I suppose there could be some legal ramifications, but I don't think anything I have or do will ever merit serious legal scrutiny (I hope I never have to test that statement!).

In the long term, I fear that much of this will be moot because entities (like the Government, Credit Bureaus, and Google) will actually have nearly all data archived in some fashion.  This may sound like SciFi conspiracy theory, but I think that it will come be reality soon.  As Jim Gray's slide #25 in the powerpoint I linked to says:

Soon everything can be recorded and indexed

how.much.info.is.there.JPG

The only problem will be how to find the data you want.

suleika

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 06:54 PM »
I have a slight pack rat mentality, so I tend to want to keep things "just in case" - although after a while it becomes clear to me whether or not I really want to keep it.  The problem is, that "after a while" can be a week or 3 years, and so where should I put it in the meantime?

Hence I try to sort everything into discrete categories, and every now and then, on a rainy Sunday afternoon, I will purge a folder or two.  I still manage to have a 1Gb archive though, from 10 years of personal and (self-employed) business emails, about half of which I've never got round to purging.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 07:03 PM »
It saddens me to note that at some point I managed to lose ALL of my e-mail correspondence from 1994 to 2001 and that big gaps have appeared in the period prior to 2005/6  :( Today I archive everything (excluding spam, "offers", and old notifications to let me know that my book order has shipped - once I receive the book I delete the e-mail) and back it up obsessively. I index it, as noted above, with LookOut.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 05:25 AM »
I also archive everything i receive, including forum notifications from DC :)

I do filter it all into categories with opera, so that it'll look more search-friendly :)

yotta

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008, 10:27 AM »
i keep all non-spam emails, i use gmail which makes i easy to keep everything, i might just need it, and i can search for it quickly, and its actually easier than deleting(you have to confirm deleting)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2008, 04:44 PM »
Well, I use Outlook and Thunderbird, both for personal and business...so you can imagine the mess and huge amount of mail (even dating from 10 years back!).

Since I came to know about 'MailStore' the mess became untangled actually. It gives you a decent way to backup your messages (burning them on CD, burning software is included), gives you a lot more search options and is faster at delivering results than Outlook or Thunderbird themselves. It can even convert all your mail from one format to another.

Best of all, they have a free-for-personal-use version at:
www.deepinvent.com

saved279

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 10:35 AM »
Most of what I keep pertains to back issues of Gizmo and DC, password information for various forums, and online purchases.  Guess I'm somewhat of a neat freak.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 01:33 PM »
Most of what I keep pertains to back issues of Gizmo and DC, password information for various forums, and online purchases.  Guess I'm somewhat of a neat freak.

Yeah... but that actually describes the bulk of my correspondence anyway!