topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 10:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: App and Web app solution  (Read 5975 times)

Nxqd3051990

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
  • Train to become GTD Master
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
App and Web app solution
« on: February 01, 2008, 03:21 AM »
I've used many web app and I was blinded. One day, I started using offline app like Outlook, Onenote instead of gReader, gCal, gMail. I found that they're so great, great speed and feature. I think many people in this forum really like "offline app "
But I consider that how can I backup my data, what I mean is backup my data to server ( in the internet ). Should I set a schedule for this work. I need advice from you . Thank you ( Sorry for my bad english )
KEEP IT SIMPLE !
Hardware ASUS K8N |AMD 2800+@2,6 with WC| Ram Kingmax 512@235 2-4-4-11
Software   Firefox 2.0.0.5 | XYplorer | Foobar 0.9.4.2 | VLC | AutoHotkey | SciTe | Pidgin
Sites Y!Blog | Facebook | Tumblog | Last.fm

Nxqd3051990

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: App and Web app solution
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 11:30 PM »
any suggestion ?
 :o
KEEP IT SIMPLE !
Software   Firefox 2.0.0.5 | XYplorer | Foobar 0.9.4.2 | VLC | AutoHotkey | SciTe | Pidgin

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 11:41 PM »
If you want to backup  your data to a server somewhere, there are quite a few backup or synchronization programs that will do that for you.  I use Backup4All for my main backup of data files to other computers on my home network.  There is a program called Jungle Disk that was recently written up at CyberNetNews that looks very good for backing up to Amazon S3 (http://cybernetnews....ups-using-amazon-s3/).

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 06:57 AM »
I'd be curious to know what various online backup providers people here use :)

mnemonic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • My website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 08:07 AM »
I used Mozy for around six months, before swapping to Jungledisk, which I've been using for about a year.

Here is what I prefer about Jungledisk:

(1) Jungledisk is cross-platform (can run on Windows and Linux)
(2) Jungledisk uses Amazon S3 via WebDAV, so you see your storage as if it's another directory.
(3) Jungledisk has a limited number of data downloads per month, whereas Mozy doesn't (although you have to pay for each download with Jungledisk).
(4) I have about 6Gb stored, which costs $5 p/m with Mozy and only about $1.10 p/m with Jungledisk.

For anyone worried about the security of their data, Jungledisk allows you to specify your own symmetric encryption key.

As I've been registered for a while, I got JungleDisk plus free for a year - not sure if I'd pay the extra $1 p/m, but it's useful if you backup lots of big files.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 05:51 PM »
Nxqd3051990, I assume you already have space and you are curious about advice on a set up?

I used to have a "daily" backup which would simply copy my important files from all over the place (in mydocuments, application settings, application's own directory, my own directories etc.) to one place on my local machine - that's more a backup from my stupidity deleting thing.

Then i would backup weekly automatically, sometimes more often manually, to a drive somewhere else

I would always put something automatic, I know I might forget if I don't. The challenge is maintaining the list as new applications add new folders, and I wish I remembered the piece of software i tried years ago that did a pretty good job at finding files to backup on its own...

But at the moment i dont backup online, just 2 usb drives, one which i take away on a rotation... online would be better but i always thought it'd be slow...

mnemonic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • My website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 04:06 AM »
But at the moment i dont backup online, just 2 usb drives, one which i take away on a rotation... online would be better but i always thought it'd be slow...

Well, the initial backup is slow and can take days, but once it's over it improves.  Mine is set to backup once an hour and takes seconds on a standard broadband connection.

Nxqd3051990

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 09:50 PM »
I don't have any options to use Mozy or Jungle Disk. I've found my best solution for this is gather all files I need to backup in one place, package them and upload to box.net ( I've 5Gb free account here )
Ya, now, I can use fast software without worrying :D  :Thmbsup:
KEEP IT SIMPLE !