topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Delphi Contest: Create Fancy Applications for Fame & Glory  (Read 6911 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Delphi Contest: Create Fancy Applications for Fame & Glory
« on: January 27, 2008, 09:49 AM »
If you are like me, you like experimenting - creating pieces of Delphi code just to learn something new and create something interesting. If nothing else, to amaze your coworkers / family / yourself.

Sometimes the funny code I write actually does something smart - but most of the time - it's just to see if *this* can be done in Delphi.

Here's an idea that originated from this idea of mine: let's create a simple Delphi programming contest - the task is to code a fancy-do_nothing_smart application (a piece of code) in Delphi!
Let this one be for fame and glory - no material prizes will be given to any contestants - all of us will code for fame and glory - pure rivalry :)

Nothing smart but fancy - and this is all what this contest is about: to create a "useless" application in delphi - one that is nice to see and one can learn something from it.

Hm .. ah .. ok. Rules are about to change! By looking at some of the "useless" applications I have created for delphi.about.com over the years ... it seems there are quite a few that are pure gems: Ruler is a must, Zoomer is just great. Ok, I'm not shy ;)
New rule: it is ok for the fancy Delphi application you submit to useful!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Delphi Contest: Create Fancy Applications for Fame & Glory
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 09:31 AM »
Any Delphi coders from here entering?
If you do let us know (and i'll send you a DC mug as well just for fun)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 09:43 AM »
ps. it occurred to me that i should say something perhaps about why i always try to get the coders here to enter programming contests on other sites, etc.

it's not that i really think coders need encouragement to program -- if you like to code, you code, if not then no encouragement is really going to make a difference.

i just think the forum gets better each time a new coder comes by and participates and interacts with the rest of the coders and non-coders on this site.  and so i'm just trying to show some solidarity on DC with coders who have their online homes elsewhere but feel like stopping by here and sharing a bit of themselves with DC, and at the same time encourage DC coders to explore the world wide web outside of DC as well.

kip

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Fx Software
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 09:19 AM »
Just to let you know mouser, I've sent an entry into this, not heard anything yet, but keep an eye out for Easy Desktop

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 01:51 AM »
great to hear kip!

kip

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Fx Software
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 04:09 PM »
There we go guys, entry now accepted, number 20 'Easy Desktop' and looking for people to try it out and give feedback.