topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 1:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: TrueCrypt - FAT32/NTFS  (Read 13200 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TrueCrypt - FAT32/NTFS
« on: December 18, 2007, 03:30 PM »
Hi,

I bought another external HD and formatted it NTFS (at least I'm very sure I did) within TrueCrypt. Strangely though, in TrueCrypt's "Select Device" window, it's now shown as FAT32 (all other HDs/partitions are shown as NTFS). Even more strange: when I right-click the mounted HD in the Windows Explorer and check its properties, Windows says it's NTFS.

Huh? :huh:

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: TrueCrypt - FAT32/NTFS
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 03:36 AM »
Anyone?

Wild guesses welcome too  8)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 04:01 AM »
It sounds... strange. But no idea, really. Can you post some screenshots of compmgmt.msc/disk management, and the right-click properties etc?
- carpe noctem

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 10:20 AM »
It sounds... strange. But no idea, really. Can you post some screenshots of compmgmt.msc/disk management, and the right-click properties etc?
Could do, but not much to see there... and compmgmt.msc/disk management shows nothing because it's an external HD.

e712

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 10:53 PM »
The drive is formatted FAT32, the truecrypt drive is NTFS. 

TrueCrypt does not change the underlying file system.  Even TrueCrypt cannot see a partition or drive until it is mounted, it only sees the underlying file system, in your case, FAT32.

The drive you purchased was preformatted FAT32.  TrueCrypt wrote data on the FAT32 drive.  When mounted this is a NTFS drive.  When not mounted only information about the underlying file system, FAT32,  is available.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 04:56 AM »
The drive is formatted FAT32, the truecrypt drive is NTFS. 

TrueCrypt does not change the underlying file system.  Even TrueCrypt cannot see a partition or drive until it is mounted, it only sees the underlying file system, in your case, FAT32.

The drive you purchased was preformatted FAT32.  TrueCrypt wrote data on the FAT32 drive.  When mounted this is a NTFS drive.  When not mounted only information about the underlying file system, FAT32,  is available.
Ah, I see! So I would have to format the drive and start from scratch to have full NTFS support for big files on the TrueCrypt-formatted partition?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 06:53 AM »
Hm.

Are you using "filesystem in a file" with TrueCrypt, or do you use direct partition encryption?

Whatever the case, as long as the TrueCrypt volume is formatted NTFS, it should have support for big files. But if you're using "filesystem in a file" and the container is on a FAT32 formatted drive, well... :). Anyway, no need to format, use "convert x: /FS:NTFS".
- carpe noctem

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 12:03 PM »
Are you using "filesystem in a file" with TrueCrypt, or do you use direct partition encryption?
The latter.

Whatever the case, as long as the TrueCrypt volume is formatted NTFS, it should have support for big files. But if you're using "filesystem in a file" and the container is on a FAT32 formatted drive, well... :). Anyway, no need to format, use "convert x: /FS:NTFS".
I just tried that (after a backup 8)) and got the message that it already is NTFS.

So I'll just live with the fact that TrueCrypt reports it as FAT32 before I mount it (as NTFS), should be OK. :-)

Thanks!