topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Best password manager?  (Read 123157 times)

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best password manager?
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2007, 02:41 PM »
Am I the only person in the world using Password Agent?
How does it compare with keepass and roboform, or even formautofiller ?

Now that's a good question  :D

Haven't tried Roboform, Formautofiller looks like it just, err, fills in forms, which isn't something I need. Just downloaded keepass and I'm impressed; similar concept to Password Agent but a nicer look and feel. I also get the impression it does a lot more too.

I'll run both together for a couple of weeks to see what I think.

WingedTaz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2007, 11:31 AM »
I'm surprised to not see Passwords Max ( http://www.authord.com/PP/ ) mentioned.  :huh:
I've used it for years. I'm not a power user - it does a lot more than I know about, but I've been happy with it.

It keeps track of of credit card numbers, PINs, website passwords, etc. It will monitor for a website and automatically enter UID, password and other fields - will admit I've had a few problems with this feature on rare occasion.

It keeps all data in an encrypted database, and even will encrypt files for you and open password protected Word (and I assume other application) documents. It has a bunch of other function you can read about on their web page. Works well for a non-Geek like me. ;D

Anybody else use it or have an opinion?  :feedback:

I'll have to review this forum entry more closely before I renew Password Max support in March. Sounds like RoboForm, KeePass and some of these other products are worth a look, but they'd have to be pretty good to make me take the time to learn a new product and convert a bazillion passwords!  :wallbash:

wiiiindy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2007, 12:03 PM »
Does Passwords Max HotSync with Palm? :-\
You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2007, 12:34 PM »
This is not a p.w. manager but someone at Diigo's forum posted that he set a sticky note with his p.w. (private of course) to the web sites he visited via the toolbar. Diigolet probably lets you do the same. No worries about backing up your secure data.

jlogic77

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • UberNote
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2007, 02:29 PM »
Sounds almost as bad as my mom having her real stickynotes on her monitor with passwords.

WingedTaz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2007, 02:38 PM »

Hmmmm...Good question. I saw a few references to doing this such as:

"Passwords Max (www.authord.com/PP) syncs with Palm and Pocket PC devices. It tracks passwords, Web logins, credit cards, bank account data, Social Security numbers and more."
Ref: www.greensheet.com/gs_online.php?story_id=300

But I can't find anywhere how it is done. Couldn't find any reference to "Palm" on the Passwords Max website or support forum.

It does have an export utility to export the database to a comma-delimited text file. I'm sure there is some sort of Palm utility that would take that file in and format it to something readable on the Palm.

My last Palm was a Palm III from the 1980's {I'm aging myself) so I not really up on Palm capabilities of today.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

P.S. I'll submit a question to the Passwords Plus support forum and get back to you.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 02:41 PM by WingedTaz »

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2007, 03:59 PM »
Sounds almost as bad as my mom having her real stickynotes on her monitor with passwords.

Actually, if you have the toolbar installed, there's an icon that's even smaller than the Firefox one which turns orangy with some scribble in it that let's you know you have a "stick note" to view. You just click on it.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2007, 04:43 AM »
Sounds like RoboForm, KeePass and some of these other products are worth a look, but they'd have to be pretty good to make me take the time to learn a new product and convert a bazillion passwords!

Passwords Max [...] does have an export utility to export the database to a comma-delimited text file

From KeePass Help:

KeePass imports and exports data from/to CSV files in the following format:

"Account","Login Name","Password","Web Site","Comments"

So you could try exporting from Passwords Max and importing into KeePass, though you'd probably have to fiddle with the CSV formats to make the fields match.  A good tool for doing that sort of thing is CONVERT by Bruce Guthrie.  It's a DOS program, but works well.

WingedTaz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2007, 11:42 AM »

Hmmmm...Good question. I saw a few references to doing this such as:

"Passwords Max (www.authord.com/PP) syncs with Palm and Pocket PC devices. It tracks passwords, Web logins, credit cards, bank account data, Social Security numbers and more."
Ref: www.greensheet.com/gs_online.php?story_id=300

But I can't find anywhere how it is done. Couldn't find any reference to "Palm" on the Passwords Max website or support forum.

It does have an export utility to export the database to a comma-delimited text file. I'm sure there is some sort of Palm utility that would take that file in and format it to something readable on the Palm.

My last Palm was a Palm III from the 1980's {I'm aging myself) so I not really up on Palm capabilities of today.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

P.S. I'll submit a question to the Passwords Plus support forum and get back to you.

From the Password Max support forum:

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:48 pm
Post subject: Palm Device Syncronization
Is there an easy way to synchronize the Passwords Max database to a Palm device? Do you know of any Palm application that would do this?

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:46 pm   
Post subject: Reply
You would need to export your password list to a PDF (using Reports).
We have plans for a WinCE module in 2008.
Vince Sorensen
Site Admin

WingedTaz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2007, 11:51 AM »
From KeePass Help:

KeePass imports and exports data from/to CSV files in the following format:

"Account","Login Name","Password","Web Site","Comments"

So you could try exporting from Passwords Max and importing into KeePass, though you'd probably have to fiddle with the CSV formats to make the fields match.  A good tool for doing that sort of thing is CONVERT by Bruce Guthrie.  It's a DOS program, but works well.

rjbull,
Thanks. I'll keep this in mind if I decide to switch.

mahaal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2008, 01:08 AM »
I guess the references to "sticky notes" got me to this thread when I did a search for "sticky" -- meaning I was looking for posts on "STICKY PASSWORD" -- which is a great password manager. 

Anyone who needs a password manager that works with Firefox and many other browsers (sorry, no Opera), has portable capabilities without having to pay for an additional license, go and read about it here - and try it out:
http://www.stickypassword.com

I was surprised and pleased also, when I found it works with Intuit programs as well, and probably with other apps that have passwords!

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2008, 12:43 PM »
Am I the only person in the world using Password Agent?
How does it compare with keepass and roboform, or even formautofiller ?

Now that's a good question  :D

Haven't tried Roboform, Formautofiller looks like it just, err, fills in forms, which isn't something I need. Just downloaded keepass and I'm impressed; similar concept to Password Agent but a nicer look and feel. I also get the impression it does a lot more too.

I'll run both together for a couple of weeks to see what I think.

I'm liking KeePass - it was easy to export all my Password Agent entries across and it feels a lot slicker. I think I'll keep it and start using it full time.  :)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2008, 09:26 PM »
Thanks for the follow up!  :)

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2008, 11:59 AM »
And thanks for prompting me to give it a spin in the first place  :Thmbsup:

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2008, 04:35 PM »
Another vote for eWallet. Very flexible, although it doesn't fill forms, but that's fine, since I use a variety of browsers (Opera, Firefox, Seamonkey...) and they all do things differently.

The main thing for me is that it is extremely secure, unlike the browser password managers, and I can use it on both Palm and Windows. Stuff that I don't care about much, I leave in the browser's manager. Anything that could cost me $$ if it escaped, I keep in eWallet only.

eWallet is also useful for keeping other kinds of information than just passwords.

oldfart

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2008, 11:30 PM »
Greetings.  About ten years ago I picked up a free little password manager called Password keeper that merely stores my user names and passwords in an encrypted file.  It doesn't fill in forms and the only way to access your password is to open the program and access the encrypted file with a master password.  It was designed for Win95 but I've used it on every Windows OS up to and including XP [except for ME I never got within fifty yards of that bit of malware].  I have copied it to my thumb drive even when my first thumb drive on held 8Mb.  Anyone who wishes a copy is welcome to it. 
dmg

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2008, 12:13 AM »
@oldfart

Is this version freeware?

On Software Design by Gregory Braun Website Password Keeper is priced at $19.95.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2008, 04:20 AM »
On Software Design by Gregory Braun Website Password Keeper is priced at $19.95.

PhilB66,

Gregory Braun used to offer earlier versions of some of his programs for free, but it looks like he doesn't any more.  Maybe that's how oldfart came by a free version.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2008, 04:39 AM »
As a form auto-filler, roboform is great. I remember using it when we were testing our websites a lot - it would fill the checkout form on an unknown (to it) website without a hitch and that would save a lot of hassle.

I dont remember being impressed by it as a password manager, so I wonder when so many people rave about it. Does it have more features as a password manager than i noticed?

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2008, 05:19 AM »
PhilB66,

Gregory Braun used to offer earlier versions of some of his programs for free, but it looks like he doesn't any more.  Maybe that's how oldfart came by a free version.

OK. Thanks rjbull.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2008, 05:41 AM »
iphigenie: The only thing I can say is to try it. It auto-remembers passwords for websites when you login and it asks you to save them. Give it a try, a lot has changed.

oldfart

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2008, 05:47 AM »
If you go to Help/About, it says that this program is free to use and distribute so unless software licenses can be changed after the fact, I can only assume this particular version of Password Keeper is still free.  I've never looked for a newer version because this one does all I want in a password manager.  The copyright is from 1997. 
dmg

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2008, 03:34 PM »
I use RoboForm to fill in Passwords in Firefox, and I use SplashID (http://splashdata.com/splashid/index.asp) to keep track of all my passwords.  Why do I use both?  Well, for one thing, SplashID syncs beautifully with my PalmTX.  RoboForm now apparently also works with a Palm, though their website does not list the TX as one of the models it works with.  I also did not want to depend only on RoboForm because it doesn't work with the Opera browser.  Though Firefox is now my default browser, I use Opera a good bit as well, and I wanted a program that I could use with Opera.  SplashID does not insert Passwords, as RoboForm does (though even RoboForm does not do so on the Palm), but at least I can access it easily no matter what browser (or anything else) I'm using.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2008, 04:53 PM »
cyberdiva: I have a TX and it works beautifully. Try out the RF For palm. Its read only, but its a great password management program.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2008, 05:10 PM »
extremely secure, unlike the browser password managers,

Which aren't secure?
How is eWallet extremely secure when they aren't?

OK, I see, you mean the password managers integrated in the browsers.
But why is eWallet more secure or better than than other password managers?

Keepass, for instance, works on Windows, Palm, Pocket PC, Blackberries, Linux, Mac etc and is portable.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 05:19 PM by Dormouse »